Wake Forest @ Maryland 9:00 PM 3/3

It seems to me that MD will have to win their next 3 games (meaning 2 in the ACC tourney) to even have a chance to make the dance.

I don't understand why some folks are saying this. 8-8 +1 should have them in easily barring a ton of conference tournament upsets elsewhere. The ACC is the best rated conference in the country and they will have finished .500 with a tournament win...assuming they go 8-8 +1, they will have won 3 of their last 5 including two on the road and 4 of their last 7 including the UNC win. At least two of the three losses will be to top-10 teams, and both of those, particularly the Wake game, were very close games.

8-8 +1 with two top 10 wins and a 2-0 record over the Big Ten (the next highest rated conference, I believe) absolutely should get them in. Heck, I'd guess that 8-8 +0 will at least leave them with some measure of legitimate hope come Selection Sunday, although neither I nor many other Terps fans would feel the least bit comfortable next week in that case.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It seems to me that MD will have to win their next 3 games (meaning 2 in the ACC tourney) to even have a chance to make the dance.
This is an absurd comment.

They are a near lock with 8-8 and 1 ACC-T win in most people's estimations. To say they have to win two ACC-T games just to have "a chance" is ridiculous.

BTW, brilliant coaching job by Dino Gaudio. Wake Forest switched to their trap zone which, combined with their size inside, basically forced us to continue to make 3s.

He knew we weren't that good a shooting team and basically said "Fine, if you keep hitting those, we'll gladly give you the W. But you won't and we're gonna make damn sure you don't get a single look inside."

The result? We got our wide open looks and we didn't continue to shoot as well as we did. Great job by him -- Wake is a well-coached team IMO.

BTW, brilliant coaching job by Dino Gaudio. Wake Forest switched to their trap zone which, combined with their size inside, basically forced us to continue to make 3s.

He knew we weren't that good a shooting team and basically said "Fine, if you keep hitting those, we'll gladly give you the W. But you won't and we're gonna make damn sure you don't get a single look inside."

The result? We got our wide open looks and we didn't continue to shoot as well as we did. Great job by him -- Wake is a well-coached team IMO.

I think the zone that both teams played really changed the complexion of the game. MD's zone stopped Wake when they started getting hot and got us back into the game. Wake's zone stopped us from getting any interior looks and we just couldn't hit any open 3's.

Well-coached game on both ends.

Archived