Cole Irvin 2024

Just Regular

10 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I don’t know.  Gonna be in the 70’s.  Watch a little O’s baseball, take a drive to the marina, have a nice dinner, read some of Birdbrains classically wrong posts for some laughs.  I’m optimistic but I’ll let you know how it turns out.

Ask me at about 4 pm how my day was, and I’ll tell you.  I was having a pretty good Friday night, until I wasn’t!   

Just now, Frobby said:

Ask me at about 4 pm how my day was, and I’ll tell you.  I was having a pretty good Friday night, until I wasn’t!   

Yeah, I was in a bad mood for about 30 minutes.   The older I get, the quicker I get over them.

• Upvote 1

Just now, RZNJ said:

Yeah, I was in a bad mood for about 30 minutes.   The older I get, the quicker I get over them.

Sometimes I have to remind myself that my kids are older than most of the Orioles’ players, so maybe I shouldn’t be so invested in a bunch of young men over whom I have zero control or responsibility.  Sometimes that works, mostly it doesn’t.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

And my day absolutely SUCKS!  

Mine too but should be ok in about 20 minutes.  Kimbrel sucks!   See, you should always wait an hour before posting after a loss.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Frobby said:

1.  You don’t get to cherry pick like that.  Should we take out the worst start of the year while we’re at it?

2.  The fact that our starters are 4th in IP/start means that our bullpen is carrying a lighter load than most teams’, so their ERA should be helped by that compared to other teams.  Yet, the starters are 9th in MLB in ERA while the bullpen is 16th.   

Maybe the whole “ don’t have the pen pitch too many innings or you burn them out” is actually myth.

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Maybe the whole “ don’t have the pen pitch too many innings or you burn them out” is actually myth.

I think it’s more applicable to individual pitchers.  The middle relievers’ workload might be different from the back-end guys, for example.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I think it’s more applicable to individual pitchers.  The middle relievers’ workload might be different from the back-end guys, for example.  

Maybe. I’m not sure there’s any real evidence that backs that up.

43 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Maybe. I’m not sure there’s any real evidence that backs that up.

Backs what up?   My point is this.  If you use a certain reliever 81 times for 81 innings, the stress on him is unaffected by how many times any other reliever is used.   It just is what it is.   Do you disagree with that?  It seems self-evident.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Backs what up?   My point is this.  If you use a certain reliever 81 times for 81 innings, the stress on him is unaffected by how many times any other reliever is used.   It just is what it is.   Do you disagree with that?  It seems self-evident.  

You said it’s applicable to individual pitchers.  I’m questioning if we even know that.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

You said it’s applicable to individual pitchers.  I’m questioning if we even know that.

I see, so you’re wondering if there’s evidence that heavier use affects an individual pitcher?   I’m not going to go looking for that, because (1) it’s obvious that it does, within certain ranges, but (2) I’m sure the degree of impact varies from one pitcher to another.  

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I see, so you’re wondering if there’s evidence that heavier use affects an individual pitcher?   I’m not going to go looking for that, because (1) it’s obvious that it does, within certain ranges, but (2) I’m sure the degree of impact varies from one pitcher to another.  

Well if it’s obvious it should be easy to find.

And how do you define overuse?  I mean, I think it’s apparent that guys lose stuff if you pitch them 4-5 times in a week and they throw a bunch of pitches. 

I also think some guys have rubber arms and can just go out there a lot.

I just think the entire “you can’t throw the bullpen too much” stuff is completely wrong and overblown and recent history proves that. 

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Well if it’s obvious it should be easy to find.

And how do you define overuse?  I mean, I think it’s apparent that guys lose stuff if you pitch them 4-5 times in a week and they throw a bunch of pitches. 

I also think some guys have rubber arms and can just go out there a lot.

I just think the entire “you can’t throw the bullpen too much” stuff is completely wrong and overblown and recent history proves that. 

I don’t think we’re really disagreeing.  As I said, I think it varies by individual.  I do think Kimbrel has shown the last few years that his threshold is a little lower than some others at this stage of his career.