Cole Irvin 2024

Just Regular

10 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

I could see an Irvin/ Bradish combo as a starter until Bradish gets up to full speed..Maybe it will take the pressure off Bradish early...

Irvin just thew 7 innings in 89 pitches.  Doesn't;'t leave much left for Kyle in a piggyback 🙂

28 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

I could see an Irvin/ Bradish combo as a starter until Bradish gets up to full speed..Maybe it will take the pressure off Bradish early...

I feel like we imagine these piggyback scenarios every time there's a question of who will be the starting 5, and they never really come to fruition. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Malike said:

In fairness, we have bullpen issues. The starting pitching has largely been fine.

Going into today, our starters were 13th in MLB in ERA and 3rd (!) in IP/start.   That’s a solid combination.  

51 minutes ago, Malike said:

In fairness, we have bullpen issues. The starting pitching has largely been fine.

The bullpen and starters have almost identical ERA I’d you take out Heasley’s disaster against Milwaukee.  

24 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

The bullpen and starters have almost identical ERA I’d you take out Heasley’s disaster against Milwaukee.  

Okay, so the starters would be better if we took out Rodriguez' disaster against the Angels? You can't just take out something that happened.

8 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

Dang, Irvin pitched like he wants to keep his job once Bradish/Means/Wells come back. I would love it if this became a very hard decision and it looks like it might be.

Pitched the same way and with the same effort, when he looked he might lose his  job because Wells was hurt and Means and Bradish were weeks away, come on be serious.

32 minutes ago, Malike said:

Okay, so the starters would be better if we took out Rodriguez' disaster against the Angels? You can't just take out something that happened.

I think the idea is that Heasley is not longer on the roster whereas Grayson still is. 

4 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I think the idea is that Heasley is not longer on the roster whereas Grayson still is. 

Heasley wasn't on the team when the pen put up an 8 ERA on the road trip. I don't think it's his one bad outing that is weighing the bullpen down.

When Bradish comes back, Suarez goes to the pen.  He will be an asset there and he can come back to the rotation if Irvin or someone else gets hurt or pitches poorly.   I would DFA Ramirez and let him keep accumulating HBPs somewhere else.  

I'm not sure why we would assume that Means rejoins the rotation right away.  He has not pitched well at all during his rehab.  I think he belongs in long relief until he shakes the rust off.   I guess Dillon Tate will be the one to go, since he has an option.  

1 hour ago, dystopia said:

Some people on here really tried to claim Sears was a really good pitcher and way better than Irvin. 

Well to be fair to Sears he had to face our offense, Irvin didn’t.

But man I really like what Cole has done, I thought once Means and Bradish came back it would be a pretty easy decision, but Cole is doing his thing. Going to be interesting what they do, not sure they will put Means in the bullpen.  But adding Suarez, Perez and Wells to our bullpen and taking out Ramirez, Tate and ? should make it better.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, IPlayGM said:

Well to be fair to Sears he had to face our offense, Irvin didn’t.

But man I really like what Cole has done, I thought once Means and Bradish came back it would be a pretty easy decision, but Cole is doing his thing. Going to be interesting what they do, not sure they will put Means in the bullpen.  But adding Suarez, Perez and Wells to our bullpen and taking out Ramirez, Tate and ? should make it better.

I think there was a thread about this yesterday morning. Not sure what happened to it. I was called an idiot for saying Irvin should stay in the rotation over Means, because he’s the better pitcher of the two right now.