Cole Irvin 2024

Just Regular

23 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

Everyone seems to assume Irvin goes to the pen, but what are the chances that he and Means simply swap places when Means is ready?  Would it not be more valuable to keep Irvin ready on a starters work load in case of need, for Means or anyone else?  It kinda worked last year and I’m not certain Irvin is the kind of pitcher who’s stuff plays up in the pen. 

Irvin is out of options, is the only problem. 

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Irvin is out of options, is the only problem. 

I thought this might be the case as I was typing out that post, just didn't have the time to look it up here at work.  That answers that then.

Interesting that he said he was focused on just executing each pitch instead of maximizing velocity.   

“Just continuing focusing on my process," Irvin said. "Executing where pitches need to be ... just keeping the thought process simple. I've gotten really caught up in velocity and trying to do all that and today I was just like, throw all that out the door. Just execute as many pitches in a row as I could.

"I wasn't trying to dial it back. I was just like, whatever I have today is whatever I have today. It's all about this pitch and being able to execute. Just was one pitch at a time, man. I really had a simple approach."

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/irvin-and-bullpen-combine-on-shutout-cowser-has-more-fountain-fun

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Interesting that he said he was focused on just executing each pitch instead of maximizing velocity.   

“Just continuing focusing on my process," Irvin said. "Executing where pitches need to be ... just keeping the thought process simple. I've gotten really caught up in velocity and trying to do all that and today I was just like, throw all that out the door. Just execute as many pitches in a row as I could.

"I wasn't trying to dial it back. I was just like, whatever I have today is whatever I have today. It's all about this pitch and being able to execute. Just was one pitch at a time, man. I really had a simple approach."

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/irvin-and-bullpen-combine-on-shutout-cowser-has-more-fountain-fun

There are so many examples of LHP with movement and location over stuff. He never really had the blow it by you stuff,so I’m surprised it’s taken him this long to alter his plan. Just like Suarez he can definitely have 2 more starts pending Bradish return.

In his last year with the Athletics, Irvin last 6 or more innings 19 out of 30 times.

This was him getting back to what he does best. Throwing a little softer, inducing soft contact, working that curveball, and eating innings.

Swervin' Irvin 

22 minutes ago, TommyPickles said:

In his last year with the Athletics, Irvin last 6 or more innings 19 out of 30 times.

This was him getting back to what he does best. Throwing a little softer, inducing soft contact, working that curveball, and eating innings.

Swervin' Irvin 

I agree, this is what he looked like with the A's. It was fun to dream on Irvin throwing 95 and having this weird new one-seam pitch. But I don't think that was working. Just be a boring, decent, crafty LH SP. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• He simply doest have the stamina to dominate in back to back appearances, and he'll  be 36 in 3 weeks. I realize thats the LAST thing you want to hear about a closer, but Kiimbrel simply cannot be effective  with a lot of pitches or innings. Id like to see a closer by committee with Kimbrel maybe going twice a week...with 3 or so days in between. Then maybe consider Suarez, Cano, maybe Wells(when hes back) and then Kimbrel. I cant endure any more stress when this guy pitches...its like watching Don Stanhouse load the bases in every save situation and find a way out...And also, lets forget the Orioles need to score more runs to give these guys some room for error...I also say we MUST sit Santander, and maybe Cowser until they can figure out a strategy with coaches and avoid unproductive at bats...and Mullins isn't much better right now...though he's showing signs of breaking out.
    • I tend to believe Elias and sig don’t prefer the risk associated with high schoolers to begin with, based on only drafting 4 total in the top 5 rounds over the last 4 or 5 years. They’ve had success with the ones they did take, but of like 25 opportunities, they’ve only taken 4 shots at high schoolers. Hs pitchers even less, as they’ve only taken 1 in the top 5 rounds, and maybe 2 total.     Could they do it? I’m sure. Especially since we are conservative with pitchers and they work really short stints in the low minors, so he wouldn’t be overworked. But I also wonder if chasing the next ohtani is a pipe dream, and that many of these prospects would be better off focusing on one or the other.
    • He simply doest have the stamina to dominate in back to back appearances, and he'll  be 36 in 3 weeks. I realize thats the LAST thing you want to hear about a closer, but Kiimbrel simply cannot be effective  with a lot of pitches or innings. Id like to see a closer by committee with Kimbrel maybe going twice a week...with 3 or so days in between. Then maybe consider Suarez, Cano, maybe Wells(when hes back) and then Kimbrel. I cant endure any more stress when this guy pitches...its like watching Don Stanhouse load the bases in every save situation and find a way out...And also, lets forget the Orioles need to score more runs to give these guys some room for error...I also say we MUST sit Santander, and maybe Cowser until they can figure out a strategy with coaches and avoid unproductive at bats...and Mullins isn't much better right now...though he's showing signs of breaking out.
    • He’s a very good pitcher, especially when he’s on.…he’s just not reliable. 
    • And no mention of the pitcher with 18 consecutive scoreless innings!  🙂
    • Oh I think that’s a given, but team quality has much less impact on the playoffs, where a burst of luck can win a series for a team. After 162 games, the best teams will have the best record. 
    • I think Suarez will be just fine. He’s been rested since last Sunday. Who knows?  Maybe he comes in and goes 2-3 IP to close out a W. He’s a vet. He’s pitched all over the world. He will be just fine out of the pen. It’s just a matter of how good he can be. We really need him to be in the Cano/Coulombe range. 
  • Popular Contributors