Cole Irvin 2024

Just Regular

I thought he pitched pretty well last night.  He hit 95 a couple times, and his two seamer was really impressive.  Not many people can throw Devers the same pitch 3x in a row and make him look bad.  As others have mentioned his control isn't where it typically is, but he looks like a much-improved pitcher overall from a stuff standpoint.  I think it's safe to assume the control returns.  

Irvin is probably the most frustrating pitcher on this team right now. He has good velocity and good movement, but consistently misses his targets by a foot or two. Monday night the Twins hit a number of missiles that by luck or pluck didn't fall in, but a better team would have probably put up a touchdown against him. I think Irvin would have more success out of the pen, throwing as hard as he can for 20 pitches, rather than as a starter where he has to hold back a little so as to eat innings. Of course that's not going to resolve his problems with lack of command, but at least he'd be in a position to do less damage out of the BP than by starting every fifth day. 

6 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Irvin is probably the most frustrating pitcher on this team right now. He has good velocity and good movement, but consistently misses his targets by a foot or two. Monday night the Twins hit a number of missiles that by luck or pluck didn't fall in, but a better team would have probably put up a touchdown against him. I think Irvin would have more success out of the pen, throwing as hard as he can for 20 pitches, rather than as a starter where he has to hold back a little so as to eat innings. Of course that's not going to resolve his problems with lack of command, but at least he'd be in a position to do less damage out of the BP than by starting every fifth day. 

I don’t think his lack of command in the early going is going to be fixed by changing roles.  Irvin typically has very good command.  He didn’t at the beginning of last year, but recovered it after a stint in the minors.  This year he’s having early problems again, but I think the reasons may be different.  He’s gained velocity and he’s added a new pitch that moves well but he hadn’t quite figured out how to command.  So, I don’t know if he’ll figure it out or not.  If he does, he could emerge a better pitcher than at any previous time in his career.

In any event, he will get at least two more starts before Means is ready to return.   Hopefully he’ll make some progress, but he’s likely to find himself in the bullpen when Means returns regardless.   

Irvin’s command has been terrible since his first two starts in ST.  That encompasses his last three starts in ST and first three starts this season.  Mullins saved him at least one run and Waltimore saved him another. 

He looked totally pissed when Hyde removed him one out away from qualifying for the win but it was the right move.  I will say, he looked the best in that 5th inning but I didn’t trust him.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think his lack of command in the early going is going to be fixed by changing roles.  Irvin typically has very good command.  He didn’t at the beginning of last year, but recovered it after a stint in the minors.  This year he’s having early problems again, but I think the reasons may be different.  He’s gained velocity and he’s added a new pitch that moves well but he hadn’t quite figured out how to command.  So, I don’t know if he’ll figure it out or not.  If he does, he could emerge a better pitcher than at any previous time in his career.

In any event, he will get at least two more starts before Means is ready to return.   Hopefully he’ll make some progress, but he’s likely to find himself in the bullpen when Means returns regardless.   

From the reports of Means stuff, and the way Wells is pitching, I think Irvin is comfortably in our top 5 starters at the moment. 

Edited by Flash- bd

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Irvin’s command has been terrible since his first two starts in ST.  That encompasses his last three starts in ST and first three starts this season.  Mullins saved him at least one run and Waltimore saved him another. 

He looked totally pissed when Hyde removed him one out away from qualifying for the win but it was the right move.  I will say, he looked the best in that 5th inning but I didn’t trust him.

What's worse is after the game he did the delusional pitcher act and said how good he felt and how he was making good pitches. 

Bro... You were giving up nukes and you couldn't locate a fastball inside on any hitter the entire game. Deserved the quick hook IMO and it's worrying that he apparently doesn't realize he's pitching poorly.

Edited by interloper

1 hour ago, Flash- bd said:

From the reports of Means stuff, and the way Wells is pitching, I think Irvin is comfortably in our top 5 starters at the moment. 

That reminds me of “permanently for now”.

Just now, interloper said:

What's worse is after the game he did the delusional pitcher act and said how good he felt and how he was making good pitches. 

Bro... You were giving up nukes and you couldn't locate a handle inside on any hitter the entire game. Deserved the quick hook IMO and it's worrying that he apparently doesn't realize he's pitching poorly.

I didn’t see the interview but it sounds delusional.   Just like in ST when his velocity dipped back down from 95 to 92 he said it was because he was working on location.  Dude, you had 95 with command your first ST start and 92 with no command in your last 3.  What are you talking about?

Just now, Sports Guy said:

He threw 71% of his pitches for strikes but only missed 3 bats.  He has to miss more bats than that. 

71% strikes is good.  When 50% of those wind up middle middle, no bueno.

He couldn’t hit the inside corner on RH hitters until the 4th or 5th inning.   The cutter doesn’t cut.  The two seam/one seam is all over the place.  90% of his changeups are a foot outside.   The curve was about the only thing working last night.

I agree with the frustration with Cole Irvin pitch selection and location. His misses are to the middle of the zone vertically. There have been so many LHP with less stuff and had way more success . I am not sure what the Orioles are saying to him but I would revert back to 3-4 pitches he can locate. Constantly working on the 4 points of the strike zone. I don’t know how you can watch someone like Craig Kimbrel and not learn from that. Wait he keeps the ball down most the time and every pitch is tight. 

Everyone seems to assume Irvin goes to the pen, but what are the chances that he and Means simply swap places when Means is ready?  Would it not be more valuable to keep Irvin ready on a starters work load in case of need, for Means or anyone else?  It kinda worked last year and I’m not certain Irvin is the kind of pitcher who’s stuff plays up in the pen. 

I also thought Ben McD did a nice job of pointing out the mess Irvin was in re the inside part of the plate and missing Adley’s target over and over last night. Really highlighted the issue without being overly critical, a fine line to walk. 

• Upvote 1