Corbin Burnes 2024

Spy Fox

All 4 runs in the inning that knocked Burnes out tonight were scored with 2 outs. All 4 runs in the inning that knocked Burnes out last week were scored with 2 outs. 

On one hand you could say that's some bad luck. But it's really disappointing to see Burnes unable to bear down and get the final out in both those situations. They were both close games until they weren't. 

1 minute ago, ChuckS said:

His stuff looks the same, he’s just getting hit hard. Things seems to have spiraled out of control in the middle innings for him lately. 

There isn’t a lot of late movement.  The fastball is pretty straight and doesn’t have the crispness on breaking stuff.  It is either mechanical or he is covering a slight injury.  

On the broadcast tonight, they referenced Burnes velo actually being 1-2mph higher this year on both his sinker and cutter.  So that’s why his stuff still looks more than good. But to me what is happening when he struggles is Burnes cannot locate his breaking balls for quality strikes…almost like he loses the feel for them, spiking too many in the dirt and then to recover he throws hangers or is behind in the count and throws cutters in the heart. 

9 hours ago, ChuckS said:

His stuff looks the same, he’s just getting hit hard. Things seems to have spiraled out of control in the middle innings for him lately. 

Everything I heard and read (I didn’t see the game) was that Burnes didn’t get hit hard last night. Just a lot of well placed hits.

That said, he struck out 2 and missed 6 bats.

Earlier in the year, I was told that it wasn’t a big deal that the Ks were down and that when he wasn’t missing bats, that it doesn’t matter.

Those are arguably the 2 most important things a pitcher can do and he’s not doing them. Being saying it all year but he’s not a guy I’m dying to give a big extension to. 

Dood has come up small for a month. Walking guys, a lot of contact, dingers, not striking out guys, not sure what the excuse is. You could blame it on new kids, but at this point: you’re a professional. You have millions of dollars. Get a live in nanny if you don’t already and get yourself right. 

Edited by LookitsPuck

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Everything I heard and read (I didn’t see the game) was that Burnes didn’t get hit hard last night. Just a lot of well placed hits.

That said, he struck out 2 and missed 6 bats.

Earlier in the year, I was told that it wasn’t a big deal that the Ks were down and that when he wasn’t missing bats, that it doesn’t matter.

Those are arguably the 2 most important things a pitcher can do and he’s not doing them. Being saying it all year but he’s not a guy I’m dying to give a big extension to. 

Any thoughts on why he is failing toiss bats? The velo is the same as his peak years and he appears healthy. One thing I am seeing is his slider usage is up but that could be more symptom than cause. When he isn't putting guys away that drives up his pitch counts and keeps him from getting past the 6th in addition to leading to more base runners and runs.

12 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Any thoughts on why he is failing toiss bats? The velo is the same as his peak years and he appears healthy. One thing I am seeing is his slider usage is up but that could be more symptom than cause. When he isn't putting guys away that drives up his pitch counts and keeps him from getting past the 6th in addition to leading to more base runners and runs.

He is actually missing bats at the same rate as last year..but it’s a big drop off from previous seasons though. I feel like he has been very up and down with it. Not a lot of consistency start to start.

It’s a very odd combo he has going on now.

Hes throwing more strikes and walking less, so that’s great…but the K rate is way down. Is he trying to pitch to contact more? I don’t know. 

Does he has that elite put away pitch?

14 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He is actually missing bats at the same rate as last year..but it’s a big drop off from previous seasons though. I feel like he has been very up and down with it. Not a lot of consistency start to start.

It’s a very odd combo he has going on now.

Hes throwing more strikes and walking less, so that’s great…but the K rate is way down. Is he trying to pitch to contact more? I don’t know. 

Does he has that elite put away pitch?

So I think his SL and his CB are "put away pitches," but I would not say they are elite. CB: K%/Putaway% 38.0/24.5; SL: 46.0/23.1

His overall K% has dropped consistently since 2021: 35.6%-->30.5%-->25.5%-->22.5%; while his BB% has been a bit variable: 5.2%-->6.4%-->8.4%-->6.2%. So I'm not certain he's consciously pitching more to contact. 

In 2022 he stopped throwing a 4SFB entirely. In 2019 he started throwing his cutter more and it has become his most prominent pitch at about 44% (down from 55% in 2023). He's throwing the cutter a bit harder in 2024 (95.6 vs. 94.4) compared to 2023. 

I think he's in a bit of a funk right now.  

K-BB% down to 50th percentile of qualified MLB arms after another tough night of results.     He still didn't walk more than he struck out, a readout where I think he has a notably long streak of games.

Dodgers and White Sox next two games pretty hot and cold.     We'll see after later Labor Day week whether Eflin or Grayson or both are mixing back in.

If you go down 0-1 in a 3-game setting, it maybe opens the question would you use Eflin and Grayson both in Game 2, assuming need and overall lack of trust in the rest of your pitching staff.     You don't want to be eliminated 0-2 without Grayson participating.