Corbin Burnes 2024

Spy Fox

8 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Any thoughts on why he is failing toiss bats? The velo is the same as his peak years and he appears healthy. One thing I am seeing is his slider usage is up but that could be more symptom than cause. When he isn't putting guys away that drives up his pitch counts and keeps him from getting past the 6th in addition to leading to more base runners and runs.

Not sure where I heard it, but it was mentioned that his cutter movement is down.  So, same velo, but a few inches less movement.  With that said, it was also mentioned that his cutter is still grading out as the best in the league- just not as good in comparison to years past.

Was at the game last night and he looked crisp in his throwing, noticed Burnes radar was consistently hitting 97 the first 4 innings.

Did he overthrow a litt and become Tillman with a straight FB? Maybe, he had not hits through the first 3 innings.

An observation from Jay Jaffe this afternoon:

2:36
Corbin Burnes K%+ has declined from 153 to 135 to 115 to literal average 100 so far this year. Will this push his contract closer to Nola money ($172M) than Strasburg cash ($245M)?

2:38
it might cost him some money but i wonder if it's a matter of self- and team-preservation. He's averaging 3.78 pitches per plate appearance, down from 3.92 last year and 4.09 the year before, and it's helped him maintain an innings-per start rate above 6. Orioles starters are dropping like flies; they can't afford to lose him so maybe asking him to pitch to contact just a bit more isn't the worst idea
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Corbin Burnes K%+ has declined from 153 to 135 to 115 to literal average 100 so far this year. Will this push his contract closer to Nola money ($172M) than Strasburg cash ($245M)?

it might cost him some money but i wonder if it's a matter of self- and team-preservation. He's averaging 3.78 pitches per plate appearance, down from 3.92 last year and 4.09 the year before, and it's helped him maintain an innings-per start rate above 6. Orioles starters are dropping like flies; they can't afford to lose him so maybe asking him to pitch to contact just a bit more isn't the worst idea

Be careful you will get a bunch of supposed statistical experts that don't actually really understand statistics saying that this is impossible because there is no correlation between pitch counts and strikeouts.

36 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Right now I’m not sure Burnes would be either my #1 or #2 starter in a playoff series. Hell, the way he’s been pitching lately I’d rather have Kremer or Irvin start a do or die game for me. 

If Eflin comes back the way he was before he went on the IL, I would make the #1/#2, Eflin/Suarez.  Trying to win games here, not give out participation trophies.

On 8/27/2024 at 2:40 PM, Just Regular said:

He's finished 6 innings once in August. If they are trying to get him to pitch more innings it ain't working. 

8 minutes ago, Wavetrapper said:

We can’t just keep trotting this guy out there to lose games for us.  

What’s the harm in giving someone a spot start in his place next time around….give him a week off and see if he can get his sh1t together.  

Let Brandon Young have a couple of starts in his place for the next 2 starts and put Burnes in the bullpen.  Can't be too much worse, because Burnes starts have been almost automatic losses lately.  I don't know if Burnes will have a meltdown if he's sent to the bullpen.

1 minute ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Let Brandon Young have a couple of starts in his place for the next 2 starts and put Burnes in the bullpen.  Can't be too much worse, because Burnes starts have been almost automatic losses lately.  I don't know if Burnes will have a meltdown if he's sent to the bullpen.

I vote for this.  At least for one start.   I wouldn’t use Burnes at all during that time. See if a full week off helps Burnes any.  

Burnes’ time here is almost over.  Who cares what he thinks 

6 minutes ago, O's84 said:

Still time for him to get back on track but there's no two ways about it, he's been awful this month.

1-3 with an 8+ ERA in August. 45 baserunners allowed in 25.2 innings. If he's battling an injury then he needs to go on the IL. If he's healthy then this stretch is probably going to cost him several years and tens of millions of dollars on his next contract. 

29 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

This has to be satire.