2024 Prospect Power Rankings

Tony-OH

10 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Man, you are addicted to Twitter “experts”.  He’s a 5’ll fire plug who has no arm 12 CS of 80 attempted base stealers.  He has no positional value whatsoever.  He’s a bat only “prospect” who is 20 and hitting .226 in low A.   Boy, he needs to hit a ton to be on the prospect radar.  

Ok, he’s been discussed.

Can't argue with any of that. Mordan is a 100% bat first player, but I'm sure some X (twitter) expert has some formula that makes him one of the top ten players in all of the minor leagues to become a Hall of Famer. lol

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Can't argue with any of that. Mordan is a 100% bat first player, but I'm sure some X (twitter) expert has some formula that makes him one of the top ten players in all of the minor leagues to become a Hall of Famer. lol

Do you know that those “twitter experts” are less qualified to give their opinion than you are?  What I mean is, who is to say they aren’t getting first hand reports and things like that? Why discount the data they have and are using? You laugh it off when you have no idea what their rationale is or how they come to their conclusions?

He may not have a lot of positional value but he has a very good walk rate and it seems like he has solid power numbers. 

I stand by the thought that I think he should get mentioned.  I would much rather have a 20 y/o putting up his numbers vs a guy like Billy Cook. (Using your method of “who would I rather have”?)

5 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Do you know that those “twitter experts” are less qualified to give their opinion than you are?  What I mean is, who is to say they aren’t getting first hand reports and things like that? Why discount the data they have and are using? You laugh it off when you have no idea what their rationale is or how they come to their conclusions?

He may not have a lot of positional value but he has a very good walk rate and it seems like he has solid power numbers. 

I stand by the thought that I think he should get mentioned.  I would much rather have a 20 y/o putting up his numbers vs a guy like Billy Cook. (Using your method of “who would I rather have”?)

Believe and enjoy reading who you like. We explained why Mordan is not a prospect or would need a lot of bat value to become a prospect. I'd personally rather have a guy who may not have much positional value in Cook, but I know he can hit upper level pitchers.

Saying that, I don't think either are really more than 35 level prospects.

17 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I feel like Mordan is really underrated and not discussed nearly enough. 

A lot of the prospect guys I follow love his batted ball stats.

@Tony-OH

Don’t pick on SG’s Twitter guys.  See all of the details he provided?   They love his batted ball stats.  Ok, what are they?   Does one have to pay to find out?     

16 hours ago, RZNJ said:

@Tony-OH

Don’t pick on SG’s Twitter guys.  See all of the details he provided?   They love his batted ball stats.  Ok, what are they?   Does one have to pay to find out?     

I just did some twitter searching - seems like good swing decisions but not great contact.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/prospect-tonight-104760187

Aneudis Mordán (BAL/C): 3-3, 2 HR (7), BB

Mordán made waves in the early going before getting cold. He's another product of the Orioles revamped international system. It seems like they can't miss with position players. He's in the 95th percentile with a ZSw-OSw of 51.5%. I pretty much look for prospects to break 40% to deem their swing decisions as "good". What's interesting is Mordán has a pretty high 48.5% swing rate. He's aggressive, but he's got such a good eye he can get to a double digit walk rate anyway. That's a very bullish indicator for me. It's not all rainbows and butterflies though as he has a 28.5% whiff rate and 13.8% SwStr rate, so his K rate will be elevated. For Mordán it comes down to the power. He looks like an exciting OBP+power prospect in the early going that probably needs more recognition. He's already splitting near even time between catcher and 1B, which usually means he'll end up in the 1B/DH route if it's already happening in the lower minors.

• Thanks 1

On 3/29/2024 at 8:43 PM, Tony-OH said:

These "power rankings" are a fun way to track prospects throughout the year. They are not "official" prospect rankings that are completed at the end of the year after a full evaluations. To be eligible for the list, a player must play at least one game on an active roster. (Updated as of Jun 17th) 

RK Name POS Prev   Team INJ
1 Jackson Holliday SS 1   Nor (AAA)  
2 Samuel Basallo C 2   BOW (AA)  
3 Coby Mayo 3B/RF 3   ABN (A+) Rehab
4 Heston Kjerstad RF/1B 4   Nor (AAA)  
5 Cade Povich LHP 5   Baltimore  
6 Dylan Beavers OF 7   BOW (AA)  
7 Chayce McDermott RHP 8   Nor (AAA)  
8 Enrique Bradfield Jr. CF 9   ABN (A+)  
9 Luis DeLeon LHP 6   ABN (A+)  
10 Connor Norby 2B 10   Nor (AAA)  
11 Jackson Baumeister  RHP 11   ABN (A+)  
12 Michael Forret RHP 12   ABN (A+)  
13 Leandro Arias SS 15   DEL (A)  
14 Mac Horvath 2B/3B 13   ABN (A+)  
15 Thomas Sosa OF 14   DEL (A)  
16 Matthew Etzel OF 18   BOW (AA)  
17 Seth Johnson RHP 21   BOW (AA)  
18 Trace Bright RHP 17   BOW (AA)  
19 Brandon Young RHP 22   BOW (AA)  
20 Cameron Weston RHP 23   BOW (AA)  
21 Edgar Portes RHP 24   ABN (A+)  
22 Braylin Tavera CF 19   DEL (A) 7-Day IL
23 Jud Fabian OF 29   BOW (AA)  
24 Luis Almeyda SS 16   FCL O's  
25 Emilio Sanchez SS 20   DSL Orange  
26 Creed Willems C 26   ABN (A+)  
27 Kade Strowd RHP 28   Nor (AAA)  
28 Max Wagner 3B 27   BOW (AA)  
29 Billy Cook INF/OF UR   Nor (AAA)  
30 Aron Estrada INF/OF UR   DEL (A)  

Bubble Players          

Maverick Handley  C     Nor (AAA)  
  Matt Krook LHP     Nor (AAA) 7-Day IL
  Carlos Tavera RHP     Nor (AAA)  
  Frederick Bencosme 2B     BOW (AA)  
  Silas Ardoin C     BOW (AA)  
  Alex Pham RHP     BOW (AA)  
  Moises Chace RHP 25   ABN (A+)  
  Juan Nunez RHP     ABN (A+)  
  Levi Wells RHP     ABN (A+) 7-Day IL
  Yaqui Rivera RHP     ABN (A+)  
  Carter Baumler RHP     ABN (A+)  
  Stiven Acevedo OF 30   DEL (A)  
  Nesto German RHP     DEL (A)  
  Jacob Cravey RHP     DEL (A)  
  Trey Gibson RHP     DEL (A)  
  Jesus Palacios RHP     FCL O's  
  Edwin Amparo INF     FCL O's  
  Miguel Rodriguez C     FCL O's  
  Elis Cuevas IF/OF     FCL O's  
  Stiven Martinez OF     DSL Orange  
  Adriander Mejia C     DSL Orange  
  Elvin Garcia SS     DSL Black  
  José Mejia 2B     DSL Black  

For tracking purposes.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Warehouse said:

I just did some twitter searching - seems like good swing decisions but not great contact.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/prospect-tonight-104760187

Aneudis Mordán (BAL/C): 3-3, 2 HR (7), BB

Mordán made waves in the early going before getting cold. He's another product of the Orioles revamped international system. It seems like they can't miss with position players. He's in the 95th percentile with a ZSw-OSw of 51.5%. I pretty much look for prospects to break 40% to deem their swing decisions as "good". What's interesting is Mordán has a pretty high 48.5% swing rate. He's aggressive, but he's got such a good eye he can get to a double digit walk rate anyway. That's a very bullish indicator for me. It's not all rainbows and butterflies though as he has a 28.5% whiff rate and 13.8% SwStr rate, so his K rate will be elevated. For Mordán it comes down to the power. He looks like an exciting OBP+power prospect in the early going that probably needs more recognition. He's already splitting near even time between catcher and 1B, which usually means he'll end up in the 1B/DH route if it's already happening in the lower minors.

Whoever that is certainly has access to data that we don't. Mordan does have some decent hit tools to work from, but as a short guy with no positional value, he's going to need a big jump in game power. He does have some raw power to work from but he's just not a guy for me because I just don't know what he is at the major league level.

That was always what I was taught when looking at guys. What are they when they get there? What will team value about them. In today's game where positional flexibility is valued from those 40 level utility players, unless a guy projects as a regular major leaguer, then they have a tough road ahead. 

Updated now through the top 40. Don't get too caught up in who is better from 31-40 though. That's more for fun purposes of following the young guys and a few guys just off the top 30.

Did I miss anyone in the "players to watch"? Anyone you're following that is not on the list?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, RZNJ said:

@Tony-OH

I'm really not trying to pick on anyone and I actually appreciate the reports that @Sports Guy provides even if I may not weigh them as strongly as he seems too. All information is good to have and unfortunately, all we have is FanGraphs and baseball reference to go of for good prospects statistical information. The rest is my good 'ol eyes on vide scouting. I wish I had access to statcast data for all of the prospects. I'd love to be able to use that as well.

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm really not trying to pick on anyone and I actually appreciate the reports that @Sports Guy provides even if I may not weigh them as strongly as he seems too. All information is good to have and unfortunately, all we have is FanGraphs and baseball reference to go of for good prospects statistical information. The rest is my good 'ol eyes on vide scouting. I wish I had access to statcast data for all of the prospects. I'd love to be able to use that as well.

I’m not really weighing them heavily but as you said, it’s more info and these guys have their formulas and data and info that they use. My guess is most of them are more data driven and really don’t have much scout intel but I still believe it provides value.

But a high walk rate and good power is being shown by Mordan at age 20, so I think that at least warrants consideration for being mentioned and talked about for this list.

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m not really weighing them heavily but as you said, it’s more info and these guys have their formulas and data and info that they use. My guess is most of them are more data driven and really don’t have much scout intel but I still believe it provides value.

But a high walk rate and good power is being shown by Mordan at age 20, so I think that at least warrants consideration for being mentioned and talked about for this list.

Thanks for sharing all of the formula / data prospect trackers, I don’t have the patience to follow them on Twitter so I appreciate the updates here. I do put value in that when projecting offense and they do have data that we don’t have. 

RZNJ and Tony have a good point that the robo scout types are generally not going to consider defense (at least not fully), and as everyone knows that’s a massive difference in value for C v. 1B/DH. So for Mordan I’d only really put weight on the robo scout if it said he was a good prospect even as solely a 1B, and I’m guessing he’s not. 

I am curious to track development of C like Willems and Mordan because I think any C in the system behind Basallo are prime trade chips. If Mordan has good offensive data but bad defense, seems like a nice guy to try to sell another team on at the trade deadline. 

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

My big issue with him besides the zero defensive value is he's batting .227 and has only 5 doubles which tells me he's probably a mistake hitter. That's a big red flag for me as well when I look at stats, especially lower level guys. Guys with decent home run numbers and low 2B numbers typically are guys who feast on those middle-middle pitches, but are not making consistent hard contact to get those 2B numbers up.

Now I'm going off memory here and haven't really watched him a ton this year running, but he's pretty dang slow from what I remember. So now we have a short, slow, 1B/DH who has some ability to make decent swing decisions on Low-A hitters, but hits for a low average and doesn't show a lot of extra base power.

So is he a guy that you perhaps follow to see if he's a guy that develops more game power and allows his bat to carry him up the chain? Perhaps. But I just don't know what he would be in the majors besides a right-handed DH if he develops more power. How many are those are now in the game?

I mean, perhaps his absolute upside is a Yermín Mercedes type, but I imagine if he is a late bloomer guy who suddenly starts to rake at the upper levels, it will probably be for his 2nd or 3rd organization as those guys typically bounce around.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

My big issue with him besides the zero defensive value is he's batting .227 and has only 5 doubles which tells me he's probably a mistake hitter. That's a big red flag for me as well when I look at stats, especially lower level guys. Guys with decent home run numbers and low 2B numbers typically are guys who feast on those middle-middle pitches, but are not making consistent hard contact to get those 2B numbers up.

Now I'm going off memory here and haven't really watched him a ton this year running, but he's pretty dang slow from what I remember. So now we have a short, slow, 1B/DH who has some ability to make decent swing decisions on Low-A hitters, but hits for a low average and doesn't show a lot of extra base power.

So is he a guy that you perhaps follow to see if he's a guy that develops more game power and allows his bat to carry him up the chain? Perhaps. But I just don't know what he would be in the majors besides a right-handed DH if he develops more power. How many are those are now in the game?

I mean, perhaps his absolute upside is a Yermín Mercedes type, but I imagine if he is a late bloomer guy who suddenly starts to rake at the upper levels, it will probably be for his 2nd or 3rd organization as those guys typically bounce around.

Another “interesting” thing about Mordan is how he OPS .582 in his first year in the DSL and had to repeat.  In his 2nd year he had a .555 OPS.  Both years he showed virtually no power.   Then last year an .894 OPS with lots of power.   Maybe he made swing changes.  Maybe he hit the weight room.  Maybe he got stronger.  It’s just a little odd that his first two years were that bad and then ………..

52 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

And that’s all fine. I’m not arguing that he should be a top 20 prospect or anything.  Just feel he could be a guy that we are sleeping on at least a little bit.