Grayson Rodriguez 2024

Spy Fox

5 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Would be nice if he switched it up just for once. 

I just held this press conference to say that everyone's rehab is ahead of schedule, Grayson has the most mild lat strain we've seen and should only miss a couple of starts, Coulombe is throwing off a mound now and will be assigned to Bowie next week and we are cautiously optomistic that Bautista could be ready for game action by mid September.  Free ice cream cones if the O's win. 

Let's go O's and World Series, here we come.

😝

Probably more like the tests on Grayson's lat came back better than expected, however he tore his UCL getting off the exam table.

• Haha 2

Personally, I think the best we can hope for is Grayson is available mid to late September and will be able to be fresh for a playoff start. 

Saying that, he did not come back very mechanically sound during his last lat issue and it took awhile for him to get back on track.

Elias holding a press conference to update about injuries is certainly never a good thing if his past injury update conferences are any indication.

13 minutes ago, interloper said:

I predict the press conference is necessary due to a possible Webb incoming TJS than anything with Grayson. Elias always gives the TJS news in person.

Pls don't be Grayson Tjs news.  I'm not sure how much more bad news I can take.

Grayson is an enigma to me. (warning: this is a rant so proceed at your own accord)

The arm talent is unique and substantial.

The mental side of the game is not. I watch his games and cannot remember feeling like he is an ace or even moving toward being one. He a very gifted young man but his pitch sequencing, ability to read a hitter and exploit his weaknesses, and concentration level are not on par with his athletic gifts. When you watch Eflin, or more strikingly Burnes, you see a SP who has honed their craft and gotten the most out of their talent. They understand the game, how their skillset is best used to win and how to avoid their weaknesses. They know how to exploit the hitter's weaknesses with their strengths. They understand how each hitter is going to attack them. Grayson doesn't appear to me to do that well.

Yes, he has a pitch repertoire that anyone would envy. But the ability to use it both effectively AND efficiently is a skill he has yet to learn. I think his inability to stay healthy might be, at least partially, linked to his reliance on power over subtlety. Great power pitchers understand when to dial it up and when to back off. You don't always have to throw the ball through the backstop to get guys out. I believe, perhaps controversially, that staying healthy is a learned skill. It's a combination of fitness, arm care, effective rest and self knowledge coupled with pitching intelligently. 

Grayson has elite skills and superb genetics. Right now I believe he needs to study his more experienced teammates, pick their brains and ask all kinds of questions about routine, pitch selection, etc, etc... He's got way too much talent to not develop into a ToR starter. But to become that he's going to have to learn the subtle skills that separate the great pitchers from the good ones. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Grayson is an enigma to me. (warning: this is a rant so proceed at your own accord)

The arm talent is unique and substantial.

The mental side of the game is not. I watch his games and cannot remember feeling like he is an ace or even moving toward being one. He a very gifted young man but his pitch sequencing, ability to read a hitter and exploit his weaknesses, and concentration level are not on par with his athletic gifts. When you watch Eflin, or more strikingly Burnes, you see a SP who has honed their craft and gotten the most out of their talent. They understand the game, how their skillset is best used to win and how to avoid their weaknesses. They know how to exploit the hitter's weaknesses with their strengths. They understand how each hitter is going to attack them. Grayson doesn't appear to me to do that well.

Yes, he has a pitch repertoire that anyone would envy. But the ability to use it both effectively AND efficiently is a skill he has yet to learn. I think his inability to stay healthy might be, at least partially, linked to his reliance on power over subtlety. Great power pitchers understand when to dial it up and when to back off. You don't always have to throw the ball through the backstop to get guys out. I believe, perhaps controversially, that staying healthy is a learned skill. It's a combination of fitness, arm care, effective rest and self knowledge coupled with pitching intelligently. 

Grayson has elite skills and superb genetics. Right now I believe he needs to study his more experienced teammates, pick their brains and ask all kinds of questions about routine, pitch selection, etc, etc... He's got way too much talent to not develop into a ToR starter. But to become that he's going to have to learn the subtle skills that separate the great pitchers from the good ones. 

I’ll just say this.  I don’t necessarily disagree with the pitch sequencing aspect but his biggest problem is execution.   Execution of the pitch itself and execution of location.   His pitches, slider, curve, changeup are not consistent pitch to pitch.   The movement isn’t the same.   He snaps good breaking pitches and then spins two.  He throws a perfect change that drops and then throws two that just hang or fade with no drop.

He has the stuff.   He has the coaching.   It’s up to him to figure it out.  Consistency.   Burnes has great stuff and is consistent.    GRod has great stuff and isn’t.

As far as the injury stuff, I dont know.

Edited by RZNJ
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Keygans said:

Sounds like Webb is done for the year and Grayson is a “we will see how he recovers after another few weeks of rest”.     That’s my best guess…

That would be my guess too Elias only gives injury updates to the press when a player is out for the season. That’s probably Webb in this case and hoping the news on Grayson is that he’s on track for a September return even if it’s towards the of the month. 

2 hours ago, interloper said:

I predict the press conference is necessary due to a possible Webb incoming TJS than anything with Grayson. Elias always gives the TJS news in person.

This is pretty much the best case scenario. Based on the past experiences, Elias wouldn’t be doing the press conference if there weren’t at least one major injury to report on as out for the year. Grayson got his imaging done at the same time so maybe he’ll address him too.

Note that there’s no press conference for Westburg, Mateo, Coulombe - probably because they still expect them back this year.

I’m expecting Grayson is going to be out for the year with Webb, but maybe we’ll be lucky. 

4 hours ago, HowAboutThat said:

When is this press conference?

Nothing has been said officially, but in the past I believe Elias usually has done his press conferences around 5pm. We'll need to be monitoring Roch's twitter page for the next hour or so.

• Thanks 1