Grayson Rodriguez 2024

Spy Fox

I missed the game today but just looked at the box score and watched the highlights. 

How does this thread not exist yet! At least from the highlights, Grayson looked excellent. Great seeing him get his K's on a variety of pitches but particularly loved the whiffs on those changeups. 

The Angels may stink but we saw last year that Grayson's performance wasn't always about the quality of the opponent, but about his own composure and command. An encouraging start to his season. 

Quite a satisfactory first outing for GRod, 6 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 9 K’s.  57 of 84 pitches were strikes.  FB averaged 97.1, topped out at 99.0, and the breaking stiff was very good.  15 whiffs on the day.  

“The changeup was outstanding, he was throwing in the high 90s, he was throwing a ton of strikes. Good breaking balls at times,” manager Brandon Hyde said. “On the attack early in the count, getting swings. I thought he was in total command.”

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/news/grayson-rodriguez-ties-career-high-nine-strikeouts

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Missed more bats than Burnes did.

The change up was untouchable.

Could end up being the best 1-2 punch in the league. 

It was such a relief to see from him today after a kind of meh spring. Helps me feel a lot better about not having the original 1-2 of Burnes and Bradish.

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

It was such a relief to see from him today after a kind of meh spring. Helps me feel a lot better about not having the original 1-2 of Burnes and Bradish.

I think GRod was always the 1-2.  No disrespect to Bradish but the ceiling for GRod is just higher. The stuff is just better.

45 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Missed more bats than Burnes did.

The change up was untouchable.

Could end up being the best 1-2 punch in the league. 

His stuff is gnarly.  Needs to discard then non-effective pitch (today slider) earlier in game. 

Great to see GRod get off to a hot start after his finish last year.  Hopefully does wonders for his confidence all year.  He clearly has the talent, you always worry about the mental side with younger players so games like today are great signs.

5 hours ago, PeregrineT said:

Great to see GRod get off to a hot start after his finish last year.  Hopefully does wonders for his confidence all year.  He clearly has the talent, you always worry about the mental side with younger players so games like today are great signs.

Yeah I was curious how he would respond today as well, first start of the year at home in front of a big crowd. Seems like he was able to keep his composure from the start, which is a great sign.