Jordan Westburg 2024

interloper

9 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Hope Westy is alright.  

Pulling Norby and sending him to NY is the move the O’s have to make. Slam dunk. Now they may not activate him depending on how Westburg feels today. Norby might taxi around the team for this series. Or… we could send a reliever down and go with a 7 man pen to activate Norby. Then if Westburg hits the IL, just call that reliever back up. Vespi or Tate. 

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Pulling Norby and sending him to NY is the move the O’s have to make. Slam dunk. Now they may not activate him depending on how Westburg feels today. Norby might taxi around the team for this series. Or… we could send a reliever down and go with a 7 man pen to activate Norby. Then if Westburg hits the IL, just call that reliever back up. Vespi or Tate. 

Vespi has already been optioned 5 times this year, so they’d risk putting him on waivers if they do it again.

They’d (should) probably just option Akin.

Edited by LookitsPuck

19 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Vespi has already been optioned 5 times this year, so they’d risk putting him on waivers if they do it again.

They’d (should) probably just option Akin.

We aren’t sending Akin down for 10 days when we have length uncertainty with our rotation.

27 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

According to Roch, Vespi has only been optioned 3 times. It didn't count when they sent him down after bringing him up as the 27th man for the DH. Here's what Roch wrote yesterday:

"Correction/clarification: Nick Vespi has been recalled four times and optioned three. Therefore, the Orioles can option him two more times before having to first pass him through waivers.

His inclusion on the Opening Day roster while Jacob Webb went on the paternity list counted. Serving as 27th man in St. Louis for the suspended game did not, which I also knew.

I miscounted while scrolling the transactions, which used the terms “recalled” and “optioned” rather than “added” and “returned,” as the Orioles wisely do. So yeah, it’s the transactions fault."

1 hour ago, rm5678 said:

According to Roch, Vespi has only been optioned 3 times. It didn't count when they sent him down after bringing him up as the 27th man for the DH. Here's what Roch wrote yesterday:

"Correction/clarification: Nick Vespi has been recalled four times and optioned three. Therefore, the Orioles can option him two more times before having to first pass him through waivers.

His inclusion on the Opening Day roster while Jacob Webb went on the paternity list counted. Serving as 27th man in St. Louis for the suspended game did not, which I also knew.

I miscounted while scrolling the transactions, which used the terms “recalled” and “optioned” rather than “added” and “returned,” as the Orioles wisely do. So yeah, it’s the transactions fault."

Ah, that's odd. 

image.png.497593241d52763ecd3fd36a212af0ce.png

17 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Ah, that's odd. 

image.png.497593241d52763ecd3fd36a212af0ce.png

March 20th (pre-opening day) and May 23rd (27th man) don’t count.  However, we can really only option him one more time.  If we option Nick then recall him again, the next time we option him he’ll need to pass through waivers (I think Roch’s wording was a bit unclear here).

2 minutes ago, Warehouse said:

March 20th (pre-opening day) and May 23rd (27th man) don’t count.  However, we can really only option him one more time.  If we option Nick then recall him again, the next time we option him he’ll need to pass through waivers (I think Roch’s wording was a bit unclear here).

Wait I think I’m wrong here.  I think he can be optioned a fifth time without being exposed to waivers. After that, he’d need to pass through outright waivers as a sixth option wouldn’t be permitted.

3 minutes ago, Warehouse said:

Is that the case, though? If the 5 options I mentioned are really 3 (now excluding before OD and 27th man), he can be optioned twice without being exposed to waivers. I thought it was 5 options but anything after that would expose him to waivers.

1 hour ago, LookitsPuck said:

I thought it was 5 options but anything after that would expose him to waivers.

You're correct. From MLB site:

"Players may only be optioned five times per season; after that, it requires outright assignment waivers to assign the player to the Minor Leagues."

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

A big 4 hit game. 2nd highest OPS on the team at .853. 

If we didn’t have Adley, or Gunnar, everyone would be walking around in Westburg jerseys. 

Westburg is not peak Bregman but he's a better current Bregman. He's gonna strike out a little but he doesnt have prolonged slumps. He's a grinder. 

He is going to have a long and solid big league career. Not a super star, but one who puts together 4-5 WAR seasons over 10 years in the show. Exactly what every contending team needs to fill in behind the stars.  A Vern Stephens, George Kell, Gil Macdougald or Carl Furillo kind of player.

1 hour ago, OldNewGuy said:

He is going to have a long and solid big league career. Not a super star, but one who puts together 4-5 WAR seasons over 10 years in the show. Exactly what every contending team needs to fill in behind the stars.  A Vern Stephens, George Kell, Gil Macdougald or Carl Furillo kind of player.

I thought I was old.  🙂

• Haha 1