Craig Kimbrel 2024

28 minutes ago, dystopia said:

But the difference between a home run and a flyout can be a matter of feet but we're supposed to believe that's in the pitcher's control while exit velocities aren't. 

In a nod to history on 7/4, I'll take a Churchill quote out of context and take it to an extreme:

It has been said that FIP is the worst form of pitching stat except all those others forms that have been tried from time to time. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He's probably up there between pitching in a pitchers park and that defense behind him for a good chunk of his career.

It's not an accident though, Palmer knew he had a great defense behind him so wasn't afraid to have batters put the ball in play. I'm sure he's not unique in that strategy.

So what relievers deserve to be picked over Kimbrel?   Some candidates:

- Emmanuel Clase, 25 saves, 3 blown saves, 0.67 ERA, 0.62 WHIP, 8.7K/9, 9.8 K/BB

- Clay Holmes 19 saves, 4 blown saves, 2.57 ERA, 1.286 WHIP, 9.5 K/9, 4.9 K/BB

- Kenley Jansen, 16 saves, 1.blown save, 2.22 ERA, 1.024 WHIP, 10,5 K/9, 3.0 K/BB

- Mason Miller, 14 saves, 2 blown saves, 2.39 ERA, 0.850 WHIP, 15.8 K/9,  4.7 K/BB

- Hunter Gaddis, 0 saves, 1.37 ERA, 0.737 WHIP, 9.2 K/9, 5.7 K/BB

- Luke Weaver, 2.64 ERA, 0.797 WHIP, 9.4 K/9, 4.0 K/BB

- Kirby Yates, 0.92 ERA, 0.920 WHIP, 12.6 K/9, 2.9 K/BB

I will stop there, but I’d certainly say Kimbrel (21 saves, 4 blown saves, 2.23 ERA, 0.928 WHIP, 13.4 K/9, 3.4 K/BB) has a decent argument.  

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Frobby said:

So what relievers deserve to be picked over Kimbrel?   Some candidates:

- Emmanuel Clase, 25 saves, 3 blown saves, 0.67 ERA, 0.62 WHIP, 8.7K/9, 9.8 K/BB

- Clay Holmes 19 saves, 4 blown saves, 2.57 ERA, 1.286 WHIP, 9.5 K/9, 4.9 K/BB

- Kenley Jansen, 16 saves, 1.blown save, 2.22 ERA, 1.024 WHIP, 10,5 K/9, 3.0 K/BB

- Mason Miller, 14 saves, 2 blown saves, 2.39 ERA, 0.850 WHIP, 15.8 K/9,  4.7 K/BB

- Hunter Gaddis, 0 saves, 1.37 ERA, 0.737 WHIP, 9.2 K/9, 5.7 K/BB

- Luke Weaver, 2.64 ERA, 0.797 WHIP, 9.4 K/9, 4.0 K/BB

- Kirby Yates, 0.92 ERA, 0.920 WHIP, 12.6 K/9, 2.9 K/BB

I will stop there, but I’d certainly say Kimbrel (21 saves, 4 blown saves, 2.23 ERA, 0.928 WHIP, 13.4 K/9, 3.4 K/BB) has a decent argument.  

Miller is likely to be the As rep. Yates could be the Rangers rep.  Clase definitely in.

4 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

And for a little more context for @Allan Bryant, it's been shown that FIP is more predictive of next year's ERA than this year's ERA. Since things like defensive support and the outcome of balls in play are very noisy, or unpredictable.

Knowing nothing else about a pitcher with a a 3.00 ERA and a 4.50 FIP, you'd do well to assume his next year's ERA will be closer to 4.50 than 3.00.

Thanks Drungo sir , now the ERA is not only stat I can employ to evaluate pitchers . I’m not stats nerd or whiz but it’s never too late to learn for a boomer like me 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Allan Bryant said:

Thanks Drungo sir , now the ERA is not only stat I can employ to evaluate pitchers . I’m not stats nerd or whiz but it’s never too late to learn for a boomer like me 

And for closers, don't forget the M/V-Q (Moxie/Veteranosity Quotient)!

Kimbrel came in with a one-run lead tonight, facing a team that he’d blown two one-run leads against in one three-game series a couple of months ago.  He avoided all suspense, getting three quick outs and putting the game to bed.  As mentioned on the broadcast (and updated through tonight), he’s allowed 5 hits in his last 20 innings of work, dating back to May 10.   Great outing tonight.  

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

Kimbrel came in with a one-run lead tonight, facing a team that he’d blown two one-run leads against in one three-game series a couple of months ago.  He avoided all suspense, getting three quick outs and putting the game to bed.  As mentioned on the broadcast (and updated through tonight), he’s allowed 5 hits in his last 20 innings of work, dating back to May 10.   Great outing tonight.  

If he doesn’t walk that first batter, he’s more than likely gonna have a good outing.  He can’t hold runners so it’s basically like a leadoff double If he does. I’ve been pleasantly surprised with how well he’s been doing lately.