Craig Kimbrel 2024

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, G54377 said:

I think Kimbrel is in his 15th year and no longer has elite stuff. If you don't have elite stuff AND your command sucks you aren't going to get many outs. Even well before today, I've thought we need to be bold and make a trade for a true closer. Now? It's not even bold... it's a necessity if we are serious about winning a WS.

The kid throwing 89 MPH fastballs last night, all night who dominated the O's doesn't have elite stuff. You can close games at 95 MPH, you can't close games when you can only throw the ball to the backstop or right down the middle of the plate.

Edited by Malike

Brandon Hyde said after the game they are sticking with Kimbrel and they "gotta get him right" and commented that he's a hall of famer right there. Hyde was trying to speak some confidence into him, but the look on his face when answering the question about Kimbrel was anything but confident.

I hope they are able to get him right, but at this point, I don't know how that's possible.

22 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Give Kimbrel a chance to see if he can get his head right first. Kimbrel isn't ideal for mop up duty he's only used to pitching one inning each appearance.

Hopefully they can turn him into a 6th or 7th inning pitcher. The Orioles are going to give some time for Kimbrel to right himself, but I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being a DFA candidate if the last two weeks become the norm for him.

I doubt there is anything much wrong with Kimbrel's head.  He just doesn't have the stuff he used to have and his arsenal doesn't work as well at a lower velocity.  How do you turn him into a 6th or 7th inning pitcher?  He just got older that's all.  Happens to all athletes.

That said I'm not an expert on pitching, so anyone out there who knows a lot about it please give us your take.

The absolute loss of command so quickly makes me think there’s something wrong with him physically. I understand not having the power stuff, everyone slows down at some point. 

But for his last couple batters tonight, he had a hard time throwing strikes. I can’t imagine that’s guy who’s had the battles he’s had was rattled by the homer. 

It’s hard to pinpoint what the actual issue is that’s manifesting the problems and the results other than age, not in his prime, etc. 

But they brought him here to be the closer and you can bet they’re gonna keep sending him out there to see what they’ve got.  Maybe SG is right, maybe this is just a flare-up or maybe he’s just not well physically or maybe he’s just at the end of his line. I can see reasoning for all three scenarios. 

• Upvote 1

If the problem is the stuff, he needs to be able to make adjustments. He can't blow guys away anymore, he needs to figure out how to get them out some other way.

11 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

The absolute loss of command so quickly makes me think there’s something wrong with him physically. I understand not having the power stuff, everyone slows down at some point. 

But for his last couple batters tonight, he had a hard time throwing strikes. I can’t imagine that’s guy who’s had the battles he’s had was rattled by the homer. 

It’s hard to pinpoint what the actual issue is that’s manifesting the problems and the results other than age, not in his prime, etc. 

But they brought him here to be the closer and you can bet they’re gonna keep sending him out there to see what they’ve got.  Maybe SG is right, maybe this is just a flare-up or maybe he’s just not well physically or maybe he’s just at the end of his line. I can see reasoning for all three scenarios. 

This is where I am. I can’t imagine there’s not an injury or something at play here. Obviously his stuff is not as electric as it used to be. But he was able to put together some good appearances in the early season. His issues right now don’t look like “stuff” is as much of an issue as it is command. And we’re talking awful command. He’s struggling to get the ball close to the zone.

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

He got 2 outs and then the command wasn’t great. Credit to the Nats though, they didn’t swing at multiple close pitches that other players may swing at.

Im not even remotely worried about Kimbrel.  He has done this the last few years.  He has a rough stretch that blow things up but he’s otherwise very good.

He fades later in the season usually, We saw him last year in LA...he had a good run EARLY, but faded...Hes fading already. He'll be 36 in two weeks...He's pitching on bald treads.Fumes.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, EddeeEddee said:

Can't believe he's going to give him more chances.  Well, maybe one more chance but it's inevitable Kimbrel will melt down again more likely sooner than later.  He just doesn't have it anymore.

And remember , Kimbrel hasn't been facing the 27' Yankees. Mostly pretty soft batters. Eddie Rosario HR? Really? Eddie Rosario?

Second game in a row he couldn't get 3 outs. I don't understand how anyone would think he's fine right now, or "he just does this". It's not sustainable to keep running him out there and giving up HRs and walking the yard and expecting another reliever to have to come in and bail him out. If he's the plan for the 9th in close games, they're in trouble.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Malike said:

Loved Hyde's press conference. "We're going to stick with him". I guess you have 13 million reasons to despite him costing the team games.

The money is sunk at this point, but I don't think any polar answer is optimal here.  Bullpen by committee until someone emerges.  It's a little more difficult with the 3-batter rule, but that's how they need to roll and I credit Hyde for being ready with the quick hook for the last 10 days or so.

5 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Brandon Hyde said after the game they are sticking with Kimbrel and they "gotta get him right" and commented that he's a hall of famer right there. Hyde was trying to speak some confidence into him, but the look on his face when answering the question about Kimbrel was anything but confident.

I hope they are able to get him right, but at this point, I don't know how that's possible.

I think he’s just awful right now. I hope Elias isn’t overly stubborn on this. Admit defeat and clear Kimbrel and his $12 million off this roster.

• Upvote 1

It had turned into something else entirely. Extra innings and additional concern about Craig Kimbrel. A hole growing in the back end of the bullpen. But ultimately, a win.

This is what Roch had to say after the game last night.