Austin Hays 2024

ShoelesJoe

4 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I think what the O’s asked McKenna to do is pretty difficult. To sit the bench 6 days and then expect to get good jumps on fly balls.

He's a professional.

How many fly balls you think he's caught over the yeas?

They let him shag flys before the game right?

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He's a professional.

How many fly balls you think he's caught over the yeas?

They let him shag flys before the game right?

Shagging balls during the daytime with nobody in the stands is a little different than at night with the game on the line. The ball looks different under the lights. Either way McKenna looks shaky, even the final out didn’t look 100% confident. 

1 minute ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Shagging balls during the daytime with nobody in the stands is a little different than at night with the game on the line. The ball looks different under the lights. Either way McKenna looks shaky, even the final out didn’t look 100% confident. 

He's always looked like that.

He's caught tens of thousands of fly balls in his life, he should know how it works by now.

Like I said, I welcome Hays back here. I think his upside from the right side is needed.

That being said, it’s going to be a really interesting decision if he continues to suck for a while. 

The Astros sent down Abreu, who has been a far better hitter in his career, because of his suckitude. 

When the season began, there was a thread about your biggest concern for the O's in the upcoming season. The focus was pitching for most. My three concerns were Hays (too many K's and DP's in important situations, doesn't have productive outs), Cedric, seems to be in a downward spiral and McKenna (the luckiest millionaire with no particular above average skill set).

If cut, which would be claimed? Hayes yes, McKenna, no chance.

McKenna is just asleep at the wheel...he just doesn't react to the ball off the bat and his routes are very adventurous. Putting him in for Santander for D is laughable. His has two attributes for the team, some speed (not base stealing speed) and a good teammate.

I wondered if Hays would have had the arm to throw out the runner McKenna couldn't last night.

Let's not go crazy - I think Hays might be playing his way to flirting with a non-tender this winter with the high age 25-27 performance and a shaky looking age 29 outlook but plenty of clubs would be happy to have him as a lineup regular.     

With the watered down postseason, the Orioles look like they will have fair chances to play some Octobers, and if you weight a championship season's midpoint at July 15 instead of July 1, Hays' 2025 final Arb year would slide to age 30.

The best 6th starter, best 4th outfielder, best 5th infielder are all part of competing to be the best, but it is peculiar to have just a couple trustworthy relievers.

10 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Uh, no.  No he isn't.  There's at least a case to be made that McKenna could be better.  Hays has probably been the worst player on the team since July of last year.  

Not having an aneurysm, but way to address anything I wrote in my previous post.  Like, you just ignored it all and come back with "bro, Hays is way better than McKenna" which makes me wonder if you read anything at all.

If you think Hays is way better than McKenna, prove it.

Uh, yes he is.

And any argument to the contrary is a stupid one not based in reality.

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

Uh, yes he is.

And any argument to the contrary is a stupid one not based in reality.

@Sports Guyand I show stats.  You're like "uh, yes he is."

Super convincing there.  I'll concede that McKenna doesn't have enough at bats to make a full comp, but I'd rather give him at bats instead of Hays.  

If you can't at least see how bad Hays has been since last year, there's really no reason to keep replying to you.  

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

@Sports Guyand I show stats.  You're like "uh, yes he is."

Super convincing there.  I'll concede that McKenna doesn't have enough at bats to make a full comp, but I'd rather give him at bats instead of Hays.  

If you can't at least see how bad Hays has been since last year, there's really no reason to keep replying to you.  

Cherry picking stats to make your argument is not as convincing as you think it is.

Again, no person with the most elementary understanding of baseball, would give at-bats to McKenna over Hays.

I'm starting to realize the problem.

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

Cherry picking stats to make your argument is not as convincing as you think it is.

Again, no person with the most elementary understanding of baseball, would give at-bats to McKenna over Hays.

Well, you must think that Hays has been performing great since the second half of last year then.  Glad we could clear that up.

9 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well, you must think that Hays has been performing great since the second half of last year then.  Glad we could clear that up.

I know you hate it when people put words in other people's mouths.  I know that's a pet peeve of yours.  

Glad you're not a giant hypocrite or anything, desperately flailing, ever more and more desperate, to defend a terrible take.

Just now, Pickles said:

I know you hate it when people put words in other people's mouths.  I know that's a pet peeve of yours.  

Glad you're not a giant hypocrite or anything, desperately flailing, ever more and more desperate, to defend a terrible take.

I know, that's why I did it to you just then.  Frustrating, isn't it?

You're the one that can't admit how terrible Hays has been so that must mean you think he's pretty good, at least.  

Feel free to correct me or admit that I'm right!

26 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I tend to agree that Hays should get the at bats over McKenna because he has better instincts and because Hays the track record of being a solid everyday player.

That being said, he has truly been a below replacement level player for half a season with no signs of improvement this year. (He did have a good 90 PA stretch in August/sept of last year though)

For me, Hays should get the at bats and McKenna should play a small role. I would send down HK because they are foolishly not playing him enough.

That said, if Hays continues to be a liability for another 100-200 at bats, a real discussion has to occur on what to do with him and if he is relegated to a 4th/5th OFer role, I do think there’s a conversation to be had about who is better suited for that role..McKenna or Hays.

But a lot of things need to happen before that discussion can really be had.

I personally believe Hays will be fine and with Cowser now established, Hays won’t be playing everyday, which he never should have been doing in the first place.  That may help him a lot.

What if on Friday they make these moves:

1. Hays in, Kjerstad out
2. Mayo in, McKenna out

Urias lives as the UTIL IF, Hays platoons in LF and maybe CF, Mateo is an option for the OF if needed, Mayo DHs vs LHP, Adley catches more games vs LHP. 

3 hours ago, Just Regular said:

I wondered if Hays would have had the arm to throw out the runner McKenna couldn't last night.

That’s not even in doubt.  That was a very shallow fly ball (227 feet).  McKenna took forever to get rid of it and didn’t make a strong or accurate throw.  He’s capable of throwing much better than that, and Hays consistently does.   I dare say that if Hays is in RF there, the 3B coach probably doesn’t send the runner.