Colton Cowser 2024

8 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Oh you must be knew here. He didn’t stake a claim last year and there were plenty of people this offseason that wanted to trade him as a result. 

He needs to be playing over Hays. They can’t in good consciousness sit him after the game he had today and put Hays back in there. 

To be fair, they weren’t looking to trade Cowser.  They preferred trading Cowser instead of Kjerstad in the Cease discussions.

1 hour ago, Daddy-O's said:

Seems like his hits are all to left field.   Would like to see him start pulling the ball.

Jesus the kids had like 15 ABs

I sure hope no player knows this place exists. Nothing they do will ever be good enough for some. 

Some weird small sample noise with Cowser so far this year, in that he continues to have a very low chase rate but hasn’t walked yet. His whiff rate is still alarmingly high. However, he’s now clearly doing damage when he hits the ball, which he wasn’t doing at the MLB level last year. 

Hopefully he can get his whiffs under a bit of control and settle in as no more than a 30% K% guy. At lot higher than he was expected when drafted but I think it would be optimistic at this point to think he’s going to be better than that. However, if he’s also running a 12%+ BB rate (as his chase rate suggests he should) and hitting for good power, that’s a solidly above average offensive player with good corner OF / palatable CF defense. 

They still need to be protecting Cowser from LHP until he gets his feet under him, but there’s no excuse to not have Cowser in the lineup vs. RHP right now. 

5 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Some weird small sample noise with Cowser so far this year, in that he continues to have a very low chase rate but hasn’t walked yet. His whiff rate is still alarmingly high. However, he’s now clearly doing damage when he hits the ball, which he wasn’t doing at the MLB level last year. 

That makes sense. He didn’t show he could hurt you if the pitcher challenges him last year, so the pitcher’s mentality is to throw strikes and make him beat you. If he keeps this up, pitchers will adjust and he’ll see more balls. He seems smart enough as a hitter to continue making those adjustments in his career. 

32 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

To be fair, they weren’t looking to trade Cowser.  They preferred trading Cowser instead of Kjerstad in the Cease discussions.

I think a lot of people here preferred trading Cowser instead of Kjerstad, that's for sure.

What the Orioles preferred to do, I am not sure.

1 hour ago, Daddy-O's said:

I see 7 hits and 5 of them to the left of 2nd base.

Yeah, who cares?  The guy is hitting .467 with a .733 SLG.  He can hit them any direction he wants with results like that.  

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think a lot of people here preferred trading Cowser instead of Kjerstad, that's for sure.

What the Orioles preferred to do, I am not sure.

I think they preferred to move Joey Ortiz and DL Hall

• Upvote 1