Brandon Hyde 2024

1 minute ago, emmett16 said:

If the Os miss the playoffs I think the fire Hyde stuff might have some credence.  I’ve always been impressed and will give him the benefit of the doubt.  It’s been a rough stretch for sure, but the pitchforks are a little premature.  

It does amaze me when there is adversity people want to fire people.  The Orioles are still in first place.  Agree if they don’t make the playoffs then there is legitimate arguments for changes.  The players have to execute as well.  Gunnar is a great player and to me is feeling the pressure and has made some youthful mistakes.  I don’t think you can blame the manger for that.  Kjersted just totally missed a ball he should have caught.  The critics here universally want to jettison the veteran players like Hayes (gone), Urias, and Mateo for the younger top prospects in the minors.  Norby, Kjersted, and Mayo.  Well they may trade away Mountcastle and bring Mayo up but do you think the first base defense will get better?  That is a lot of youth.  Careful what you wish for.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, RavensNOsGuy said:

At this point it feels like heartbreak city coming if we make the playoffs which somehow we still should. I’m sure many remember 1997 and the ALCS. Why do I feel like Kimbrel will be our Armando and blow it…those box scores still make me sick to look at.

And Benitez was way better in 1997 than Kimbrel is now.

6 minutes ago, accinfo said:

It does amaze me when there is adversity people want to fire people.  The Orioles are still in first place.  Agree if they don’t make the playoffs then there is legitimate arguments for changes.  The players have to execute as well.  Gunnar is a great player and to me is feeling the pressure and has made some youthful mistakes.  I don’t think you can blame the manger for that.  Kjersted just totally missed a ball he should have caught.  The critics here universally want to jettison the veteran players like Hayes (gone), Urias, and Mateo for the younger top prospects in the minors.  Norby, Kjersted, and Mayo.  Well they may trade away Mountcastle and bring Mayo up but do you think the first base defense will get better?  That is a lot of youth.  Careful what you wish for.  

Only reason the Orioles are still in first place is because the Yankees have imploded as well. The Orioles have been playing very bad baseball for more than a month. How likely is it that they will turn it around? That's what people are asking. Elias is clearly concerned, as he is working the phones hard.

10 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

Only reason the Orioles are still in first place is because the Yankees have imploded as well. The Orioles have been playing very bad baseball for more than a month. How likely is it that they will turn it around? That's what people are asking. Elias is clearly concerned, as he is working the phones hard.

Yet sabermetrics tells us that most dugout decisions barely have any effect on the outcome of the game. Furthermore, if we look at effects on player performance, it’s evident that hardly any manager can distinguish himself from his counterparts. Based on my analysis, 95 percent of all managers are worth somewhere between -2 and +2 wins per 162 games. Last year alone, 21 batters and seven pitchers were worth more to their teams than nearly every manager of the last 112 years.

The hirings and firings, the manager merry-go-round every offseason, the relentless second-guessing — all are relatively pointless. You can’t prove that your team’s manager is any better or worse than average. Come to peace with that, and go back to worrying about the players.

Most Managers Are Headed to the Hall of Mediocrity | FiveThirtyEight

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, SteveA said:

I usually give a lot of latitude to the manager.   But I'll join the pitchfork and torches gang on this.   We have several late inning relievers.   Kimbrel is probably the best but he's not THAT far ahead of Cano.   Cano has barely pitched yesterday, Kimbrel had a high-stress high-pitch-count inning that he couldn't even complete yesterday.   Why bring in Kimbrel there instead of Cano?   Of our best 3 relievers, Cano was by far the most rested.   I know "The Book" says use your closer once a home game is tied in the late innings since there will never be a save situation.

But do you have to slavishly follow the book when you have another pitcher who is pretty good and is far more rested?    

Seems he wanted to get Kimbrel back out there right away more so than going with the rested reliever. 

I would not have thrown him in that spot. That said I do understand his line of thinking. 

7 hours ago, HowAboutThat said:

Hyde is objectively bad. He makes bad decisions. I never watch the postgame because no one presses him. Anyone who asks pointed questions would likely be thrown out, so they soft-toss him. But why bring in Kimbrel after 28 pitches in a bad inning last night?  
I don’t know what explanation he gave, but there really isn’t one. It was just stupid.

It was a bad decision but the answer to that question is, because the rest of my pen sucks ass, so I wanted to lean on my best option to try to win it in the bottom of the 9th

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

Seems he wanted to get Kimbrel back out there right away more so than going with the rested reliever. 

I would not have thrown him in that spot. That said I do understand his line of thinking. 

A rested reliever that may or may not be healthy.  I have a feeling Cano is not 100% with some sort of injury or tired arm and they are being very cautious with him right now.  I know must people will say then he should be on the IL which is fair but then other teams now we lost another big reliever right before the deadline which makes it harder to make a trade for another high leverage guy or at least they ask for more thinking we desperate.  Cano has thrown 2 innings and thrown 40 pitches in last 3 weeks.  That isn’t a bad or good manager just not pitching a healthy reliever that is trying to stay away from a reliever and protect him.  

11 hours ago, LGOrioles said:

Absolutely idiotic managing by Hyde tonight. He pinch hits Mullins for Norby, having Mullins face a guy with one of the best FB’s in the league, even though he is one of the worst hitters in the league against FB’s.

Then pitches Kimbrel back to back after throwing 30 pitches yesterday, while he has Cano who has thrown 6 pitches in the last 5 days and 1 inning since the ASB. I’m not a Hyde basher but those were completely moronic decisions.

Idiotic? Mullins for Norby? It did not work, the game stayed tied, but he upgrades 3 positions with one move. That did not work because Profar hit it out of the park.  It was a playable move because defense already cost us 2 runs, Gunner again falls asleep, and Kjerstad was a step off and who did not see that coming. Hays? Remember that guy? Got a quick lesson in why he was out there. Kimbrel, last night the complaint was he had not pitched enough(4 days rest) so he was available tonight. Everybody is struggling except one, But I have not heard one single word of praise for what a spectacular job hes done of managing Santa the last 2 months( pun intended) He needs help, Lay off, other than tony this is a team effort.

9 hours ago, Uli2001 said:

They have the 3rd best record in all of baseball.

10 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

These struggles are not on Hyde, but if he can’t get his team to relax/refocus/stop pressing, or whatever you want to call it, that IS on him. 

Show me some evidence that he is leaning on his players and pushing them too hard to perform. It's never been his MO to put pressure on his guys, they are young and slumping and they need to figure it out. I highly doubt he's stressing them out, he's been pretty open about they need to focus, how does a manager make a player refocus?

Hyde is being given too much blame for no reason. He's making the lineup people wanted, not good enough. You want all the young guys up here at once, this is going to happen, there is a learning curve and we have a bunch of rookies on the team at once and guys in their second year working through things.

6 minutes ago, Malike said:

Show me some evidence that he is leaning on his players and pushing them too hard to perform. It's never been his MO to put pressure on his guys, they are young and slumping and they need to figure it out. I highly doubt he's stressing them out, he's been pretty open about they need to focus, how does a manager make a player refocus?

Hyde is being given too much blame for no reason. He's making the lineup people wanted, not good enough. You want all the young guys up here at once, this is going to happen, there is a learning curve and we have a bunch of rookies on the team at once and guys in their second year working through things.

Well sometimes players just get tired of hearing the same voice for years and they tune out.  Chuck Daly, the greatest Pistons coach of all time....used to say that all of the time.  

Who knows.

Edited by OnlyOneOriole

12 minutes ago, Malike said:

I don’t think he’s pushing them too hard but they are clearly pressing or in their heads right now. There are a lot of things he doesn’t have control over (RISP hitting, SP/BP issues, etc.) and you’re right that it’s a young team and hopefully just a learning curve, but things seem to be snowballing. It’s not easy and probably not fair, but he controls the clubhouse and needs to calm things down for his team.