Holliday called up!

jcaponio

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

And Cedric keeps coming hard if Holliday isn’t waving his arm (probably verbally calling too) like he’s got it.  Don’t call for a ball if you’re not sure.

isn't the outfielder supposed to take charge if they can get to it??

Here's the play. https://www.mlb.com/video/cole-irvin-in-play-run-s-to-tyler-o-neill

I do think that's Holliday's ball. Not an easy play, but he makes it harder by kinda running the wrong way initially,. And then as mentioned he seems to wave off the outfielders as if he's got it when he doesn't. I think Holliday would say he makes that play most of the time. I doubt Mullins had a real chance at it. 

3 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

Here's the play. https://www.mlb.com/video/cole-irvin-in-play-run-s-to-tyler-o-neill

I do think that's Holliday's ball. Not an easy play, but he makes it harder by kinda running the wrong way initially,. And then as mentioned he seems to wave off the outfielders as if he's got it when he doesn't. I think Holliday would say he makes that play most of the time. I doubt Mullins had a real chance at it. 

The wind was swirling, I saw it with Cedric on a high fly ball to short center. Not an easy play, agreed, and Cedric wasn't getting to that ball, he looked to be playing deep. 

Edited by Malike

2 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

i think mullins catches that but i see where he would pull up if holliday is calling for it.

he's halfway to the warning track!

1 minute ago, Malike said:

The wind was swirling, I saw it with Cedric on a high fly ball to short center. Not an easy play, agreed and Cedric wasn't getting to that ball, he looked to be playing deep. 

I agree with this and noticed the same thing on the earlier Cedric catch.  

Just now, RZNJ said:

Not if the infielder is already calling for it like he’s got it.  

i thought even if the infielder is calling for it the outfielder takes over because they have better angle. you see that all the time and infielder backing up calling for a fly ball and the outfielder comes flying in and calls them off. 

2 minutes ago, capyy said:

isn't the outfielder supposed to take charge if they can get to it??

I thought Cedric looked like he pulled up based on how authoritative Holliday was waving him off. Cedric may have anticipated a collision. Holliday probably was just a little too hyped up and will need to settle in a little bit.

Not great, but much like the rest of his game it just looked like he may have been pushing through nerves/hype a bit. No concerns for me on that; I’m just glad he’s getting this experience now versus down the stretch this year. 

Just now, ThisIsBirdland said:

I thought Cedric looked like he pulled up based on how authoritative Holliday was waving him off. Cedric may have anticipated a collision. Holliday probably was just a little too hyped up and will need to settle in a little bit.

Not great, but much like the rest of his game it just looked like he may have been pushing through nerves/hype a bit. No concerns for me on that; I’m just glad he’s getting this experience now versus down the stretch this year. 

that makes sense. so basically mullins maybe gets there if he's going full speed but because holliday is calling for it mullins never goes full speed because he's not positive he can get it. 

holliday definitely shouldnt be calling for that then i see what you guys are saying. he should go for it but not call for it. still would think an outfielder takes over if they know they can get it. 

Roster Resource's Jason Martinez had this detail on the Prospect Promotion Incentive program - I hadn't realized an eligible player gets three bites at the apple, so to speak.   I believe One Pick per Player is part of it, so Gunnar or Julio couldn't "double dip" for their Clubs if they are MVP Top 3.

Because Holliday was called up with at least 172 days remaining in the regular season, he’ll qualify for the Prospect Promotion Incentive and will reach a full year of service time as long as he remains in the majors. The Orioles, as a result, will gain an extra draft pick after the first round if Holliday wins AL Rookie of the Year or finishes in the top three in AL MVP voting during his pre-arbitration seasons (2024-26).

3 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

Look at how far Ced was from this ball when it hit the ground. He was playing deep. His first couple of steps were to his left before he started in on the ball. I don't think he could have gotten there.

image.thumb.png.0121ababe57f599b43f01bbe52dc9f6b.png

A picture isn’t going to tell you much. He could have slowed up thinking Holliday was going to catch it. 

I agree that it looked like a tough catch for Ced in real time. 

3 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

Look at how far Ced was from this ball when it hit the ground. He was playing deep. His first couple of steps were to his left before he started in on the ball. I don't think he could have gotten there.

image.thumb.png.0121ababe57f599b43f01bbe52dc9f6b.png

Watch the video. He's jogging for the last five steps once Holliday waves him off. Had he been in a sprint I think he'd have gotten to it (for a really nice catch).

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, capyy said:

i thought even if the infielder is calling for it the outfielder takes over because they have better angle. you see that all the time and infielder backing up calling for a fly ball and the outfielder comes flying in and calls them off. 

Better angle but more important the OF is in a much better postion to throw which is why the it's the CF ball unless he is waived off-which he was.  Fast runner on first and running on contact, I'll give him a mulligan but that was a poor situational decision.