David Rubenstein 2024

3 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I’ve be saying this since it was announced years ago. They took the Orioles ability to spend like the other team in our division outside of Tampa. 

I think the Nationals tied to DC to 2037.

Funny that their fan site is already counting the days until next opening day.

https://www.talknats.com/2023/12/19/2037-is-right-around-the-corner-and-it-is-not-too-early-to-speculate-on-the-future-of-nationals-park/

With the current youth movement of the O’s they need to find a way to tap into the market down here.  It’s ripe with kids who love baseball.  The O’s could make them lifelong fans if they market correctly and do outreach.  And maybe get on a platform where they can be easily watched.  

4 minutes ago, OriolesUpAndDowns said:

With the current youth movement of the O’s they need to find a way to tap into the market down here.  It’s ripe with kids who love baseball.  The O’s could make them lifelong fans if they market correctly and do outreach.  And maybe get on a platform where they can be easily watched.  

The Nats have their fair share of young marketable players as well - Abrams, Wood, Gore, Crews, etc.  What 'market correctly' strategies have you ever seen an out of town team (which the Orioles are, in the DC area, since DC has its own team) do to sway fans to their side?

(I'm assuming by 'down here' you meant the DC area.  If not, I retract the above, though it may still apply depending on where you did mean)

2 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

The Nats have their fair share of young marketable players as well - Abrams, Wood, Gore, Crews, etc.  What 'market correctly' strategies have you ever seen an out of town team (which the Orioles are, in the DC area, since DC has its own team) do to sway fans to their side?

(I'm assuming by 'down here' you meant the DC area.  If not, I retract the above, though it may still apply depending on where you did mean)

I honestly don’t see any marketing from the Nats either which kind of surprised me.    

Are the O’s really an out of town team though to the DC area?  We are on TV just as much as the Nats are and own the TV network.    

It just seems like ripe baseball country down here that the O’s could make some fans out of.  

6 minutes ago, OriolesUpAndDowns said:

I honestly don’t see any marketing from the Nats either which kind of surprised me.    

Are the O’s really an out of town team though to the DC area?  We are on TV just as much as the Nats are and own the TV network.    

It just seems like ripe baseball country down here that the O’s could make some fans out of.  

Its obviously a strange situation in re the out of town thing.  Technically they are out of town just like the Nats are out of town in Baltimore.  You certainly don't see Nats marketing in Baltimore, why would anyone expect to see O's marketing in DC?  Not saying they don't, or shouldn't, its just an odd situation.  For all I know there might be MLB rules prohibiting direct marketing in certain territories occupied by other teams, I don't know.

1 minute ago, Fiver6565 said:

It’s obviously a strange situation in re the out of town thing.  Technically they are out of town just like the Nats are out of town in Baltimore.  You certainly don't see Nats marketing in Baltimore, why would anyone expect to see O's marketing in DC?  Not saying they don't, or shouldn't, it’s just an odd situation.  For all I know there might be MLB rules prohibiting direct marketing in certain territories occupied by other teams, I don't know.

I’m in the NOVA area and most baseball fans over the age of 30-40 are O’s fans.  If I meet a Nats fan over like 35, I immediately call them a traitor.  

It just sucks having such a ripe baseball area not belong to O’s when they are turning it around.  My first baseball memories are of the 96’ O’s and they made a lifelong fan out of me.  I was also a big Chipper Jones fan just from them being on TBS every night.  

• Upvote 1

I like most of the players on the Orioles (except the ones who don't speak English) and I grew up watching the team in the late 60's. early '70s. However, I can't support a team that has an owner who donates to the politicians this guy does. Most of you hate my posts anyway, so you should be happy that I am leaving... goodbye.

• Downvote 8

5 minutes ago, Motorhead said:

I like most of the players on the Orioles (except the ones who don't speak English) and I grew up watching the team in the late 60's. early '70s. However, I can't support a team that has an owner who donates to the politicians this guy does. Most of you hate my posts anyway, so you should be happy that I am leaving... goodbye.

Why don't you like the ones who don't speak English?

10 minutes ago, Motorhead said:

Doesn’t he donate to the same party the Angelos’ did?

35 minutes ago, Motorhead said:

All six of your posts?

1 hour ago, Motorhead said:

Unfortunately the better and more relevant the O’s get, the more frequent we will see these kinds of posts/posters. 

I don’t want to delve into personal politics much (as that is not what this board is intended for). But as an American, it is sad to see that our politics have become so divisive and our country is so divided.

As one of our greatest and most storied presidents once said quoting from Judeo/Christian scripture, “A house divided against itself cannot stand”.

I hope you find the kind of internal peace that frees you from the need to hate others who are different than you.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

I just saw something yesterday I believe with Elias basically downplaying any huge jumps in payroll.  I'm glad that the Angelos family sold the team, but I don't expect that they're going to go crazy with extensions and free agent deals.

Here’s another area where the new owners already have spent some money:

“By my calculations with bonuses reported by Baseball America and MLBPipeline.com, the O's exceeded their total draft pool of $10,920,900 by $545,900. Teams pay a 75 percent tax on the overage. They would lose a draft pick if exceeding the pool by more than five percent. Five percent of the O's pool is $546,045, so they cut it close. That is if my math is correct. The tax overage they would need to pay is $409,425.”

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/o-s-calling-on-mayo-plus-draft-math-and-notes-on-thursday-s-loss

Going over allowed the O’s to sign all 21 of their draft picks, something that hasn’t happened in a couple of years.