Off-season Qualifying Offer Question

OsFanInOhio

Are teams able to extend qualifying offers to multiple players in the same offseason? Curious if we will be able to for both Burnes and Santander if we do not extend them. And if so, would we be able to get comp a picks for both of them if they both signed deals worth more than 50mm? 

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I would not tender a qualifying offer to Santander.

Burnes is going almost assured to get one.  That was probably the reasoning behind Elias sending a pick in the trade for him.

You wouldn’t tender Santander because you don’t think he’s worth a 1 year 20mm deal (or whatever the exact value is) or because we can’t extend multiple players? 

28 minutes ago, OsFanInOhio said:

You wouldn’t tender Santander because you don’t think he’s worth a 1 year 20mm deal (or whatever the exact value is) or because we can’t extend multiple players? 

I don't want Santander for 1/20M next season.

As far as I know teams are NOT limited in the number of players they can tender.

Edited by Can_of_corn
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

As far as I know teams are limited in the number of players they can tender.

I think Corn has a typo in here. There are no limits on QO per team. 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

As far as I know teams are NOT limited in the number of players they can tender.

Fair enough. I figure he’s a pretty big piece of our lineup and team/culture, so I wouldn’t mind him coming back.

I also thought he’s likely to get more than that in free agency, so if we extend and he signs elsewhere it is a free pick. Jorge soler got 2 year 42mm or something, and is older and a dh only (or negative defensive WAR if he does play in the field). In my mind, that SHOULD put Santander in the realm of a 50mm dollar contract, and mean a potential comp a pick. This second part might be the answer to you not wanting him back at 1/20, as I’d be pretty surprised if he took it. 

Getting comp a picks for both Burnes and Santander would be pretty nice if we are likely to lose both anyway. 

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I see no reason to prejudge whether to make a QO to Santander.  Let’s see what kind of year he has, and how guys like Kjerstad do.  

Agreed. More of a conceptual exercise, and being curious if there was a world where we have 4 top 40 picks next year (first rounder, comp a for ROTY, comp a for Burnes, comp a for Santander). 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, OsFanInOhio said:

Agreed. More of a conceptual exercise, and being curious if there was a world where we have 4 top 40 picks next year (first rounder, comp a for ROTY, comp a for Burnes, comp a for Santander). 

That would be amazing.  

Just now, Mooreisbetter27 said:

I will say… I have given quality offers in the Show thinking I was gonna get some good draft picks and then they signed it. So there’s that to think about (fully aware it’s a game 😃)

Matt accepted his.  O's spent 15.8M on a 1.9 rWAR season.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I see no reason to prejudge whether to make a QO to Santander.  Let’s see what kind of year he has, and how guys like Kjerstad do.  

He could have a career year and would still not be worth a QO.

Just now, Mooreisbetter27 said:

I remember the board was positive he wouldn’t accept as well. Was that the first Boras client to accept? 

It was the first season in which one did.  I can't speak with confidence if he was the first, or only, Boras client to do it that season.