630 start time plus pitch clock

I live in California...weekday games start at 3:30...tonights game was over at about 6:05 pm...its just wonderful to have my entire evening to wind down from thr angst of a close game...and when we win, like tonight...I have the entire evening to savour it.

2 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

You don't enjoy every Yankees hitter stepping out of the batters box after each pitch and adjusting their cup.

Count me as a fan of the pitch clock.

Soto still finds time to touch himself in between pitches.

49 minutes ago, Frobby said:

If you are disciplined, you can avoid learning the result and just watch the game unfold without knowing what will happen, and skip all the commercials. 

I'm kind of with Moose on this one. There's just something more appealing about knowing what you're watching is happening in real time, and that you can talk about it with other baseball/Orioles fans while it's happening.

I've done the recording option several times before, and the game just loses some of it's luster even if I don't know who won.

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

If you are disciplined, you can avoid learning the result and just watch the game unfold without knowing what will happen, and skip all the commercials. 

This is my daily routine, after dinner, baths, putting the kids to bed, and finally sitting down around 9pm or so...

11 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

These 2 changes, one by MLB and one by the Os are absolute game changers.

In the past, we would be in like the 4th inning vs the Yankees right now..en route to another 3.5+ hour game.

The game is just so much better when it’s played at a better rhythm and starting it earlier and getting the games over with earlier is fantastic, especially during the week

I still am somewhat in disbelief that Major League Baseball saw an obvious problem, recognized this as a problem, stopped the nonsense of trying to convince everyone that a bug was actually a feature, and then implemented a straightforward and effective solution.  For my entire life MLB had a terrible habit of trying to sell problems as benefits, often to placate what they saw as traditionalists and older fans who wouldn't like any changes to the game at all.

With game times they basically said enough, we're implementing a pitch clock, if you don't like it, sorry. And the results have been wonderful. A baseball game now typically ends before a normal, working (or school-attending) person's bedtime. A baseball game isn't much different in length than a basketball or hockey game or soccer match. It's the length it was, more-or-less, for most of history. Baseball is a normal sport again, not a marathon where half the audience falls asleep in the 7th inning, or just gives up because they have to go to work in six hours.

• Upvote 2

100% completely agreed!  

I can usually start watching the game around dinner time.  We do have a strict no TV rule with the kids during dinner time, however, the Oriole games are the only exception.  It's not really watching, more like listening.  We'll usually turn our heads when we hear KB getting excited.

By the time everything is cleaned up and the kids ready for bed - the game is usually in the 3rd frame (7/8/9) innings.

Well done MLB and Orioles.

10 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

The pitch clock is great. Unfortunately MLB pitchers don't see it the same way. Both the players union and Burnes basically blamed the pitch clock for this year's injuries, even though there's no scientific study to conclude that for sure.

When you say "no scientific study to conclude that for sure" I think the reality is closer to "there's really no evidence that the pitch clock is anything but a minor contributing factor." I think it's quite obvious that the root cause of pitching injuries is almost every pitcher trying to throw almost every pitch at 110% of their reasonable capacity. Sure, wildly over-straining your arm might be slightly more dangerous if you do it a bit more quickly, but that doesn't change the fact that the wildly over-straining part is the overwhelming cause. It's like saying you broke your hand punching the brick wall, but saying the real problem was how quickly you repeated the punching.

Of course that didn't stop people like Tony Clark from issuing knee-jerk, reactionary, baseless statements blaming the pitch clock. He's paid to look out for his current members, and only slightly cares that the product on the field is immensely more enjoyable with a clock.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

It’s makes going to weekday games plausible too. I can normally get home 10-10:30.

I agree, except 11:30pm for me.

Been to 3 so far and wife and I  enjoy the pace of the game

38 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I still am somewhat in disbelief that Major League Baseball saw an obvious problem, recognized this as a problem, stopped the nonsense of trying to convince everyone that a bug was actually a feature, and then implemented a straightforward and effective solution.  For my entire life MLB had a terrible habit of trying to sell problems as benefits, often to placate what they saw as traditionalists and older fans who wouldn't like any changes to the game at all.

With game times they basically said enough, we're implementing a pitch clock, if you don't like it, sorry. And the results have been wonderful. A baseball game now typically ends before a normal, working (or school-attending) person's bedtime. A baseball game isn't much different in length than a basketball or hockey game or soccer match. It's the length it was, more-or-less, for most of history. Baseball is a normal sport again, not a marathon where half the audience falls asleep in the 7th inning, or just gives up because they have to go to work in six hours.

Not only is it shocking MLb did it but an MLB led by Manfred.  That is what really shocks me.

12 hours ago, Frobby said:

That’s what recordings are for.  

I've never been big on recordings, it's usually quiet enough by first pitch I can just pull the game up live on a laptop and be able to watch close enough to know what is going on.  If we play a weekday day game though I'll usually watch the replay later despite already knowing the result. 

The first game I attended with the new time/rules in April 2023, I walked in my door at 9:45.  The previous year, I was leaving a game in the top of the 6th inning at 9:30 because it was a work day.

At that game last year, the game was over by 9:00 and the O's won, a team with a bright future ahead of them.  Between the quicker game, the earlier start time, and an exciting team, I legitimately felt like I had baseball back in my life more deeply than it had been in years.  I feel the same way this year.  What a gift.

By the way, if anyone thinks that pitchers can't work this quick, watch two innings of Scott McGregor pitching in game 5 of the 1983 World Series.  I know he threw about 20 miles an hour slower than many of today's pitchers, but he would've laughed at a pitch clock.

5 minutes ago, Gofannon said:

By the way, if anyone thinks that pitchers can't work this quick, watch two innings of Scott McGregor pitching in game 5 of the 1983 World Series.  I know he threw about 20 miles an hour slower than many of today's pitchers, but he would've laughed at a pitch clock.

My favorite thing about Keegan Akin is that he routinely throws his pitches with about 8 second left on the pitch timer.

Just now, Frobby said:

My favorite thing about Keegan Akin is that he routinely throws his pitches with about 8 second left on the pitch timer.

I'm shocked his arm hasn't detached from his body pitching that quickly.

I'm a big fan of both as well with games now ending around 9 PM, still have time to do other stuff. 

Still not a fan of 4:05 start on Saturdays though I understand it from a fan at the game standpoint until it gets Africa hot in the summer.

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm a big fan of both as well with games now ending around 9 PM, still have time to do other stuff. 

Still not a fan of 4:05 start on Saturdays though I understand it from a fan at the game standpoint until it gets Africa hot in the summer.

i love the 4PM.  I think when it gets to that Africa hot level heat, the difference b/w 4 and 7 isn't much anyway - its hot as hell either way.  Sure the seats in the sun are hotter, but you can prepare for that, and its not usually for the entire game.

And the pitch clock/635 first pitch combo is just awesome, I can't say enough positive things about it.  Last nights game - tense, well pitched, great atmosphere, and a W - and it all being completed by 9PM is a big cherry on top of that.  That same exact game, played under the old rules, ends at 10:30-11, and even w/ the good result, the feeling from the game is different, in a bad way.