What happens next? Mayo debut or Holliday back up?

What happens next? Mayo debut or Holliday back up?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. What happens next? Mayo debut or Holliday back up?

• Mayo debut
    • Holliday 2nd call up

24 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Looks like Mateo's annual hot streak lasted longer than normal but has come to an end. Could go back to the original plan having him be a backup/pinch runner. Mayo can play 3B vs RHP and RF vs LHP with Urias at 3B when O'Hearn sits. 

Yes - we must sit O’Hearn so we can get Urias’s .500 OPS vs LHP in the lineup.

26 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Looks like Mateo's annual hot streak lasted longer than normal but has come to an end. Could go back to the original plan having him be a backup/pinch runner. Mayo can play 3B vs RHP and RF vs LHP with Urias at 3B when O'Hearn sits. 

Ehh I don’t think you can stick him in RF with confidence right now. I suppose you shift Westburg over to 2B and run Mayo out to 3rd. Matteo has been playing a really good defensive 2B though.

If it doesn't involve improving the pitching staff right now, I kind of don't care. Team does not need more offense, so I find the "when is Mayo" coming up topic to be kind of fruitless. He doesn't really help us win more games right now. If someone gets hurt, sure bring him up.

Fix the pitching staff.

7 minutes ago, interloper said:

If it doesn't involve improving the pitching staff right now, I kind of don't care. Team does not need more offense, so I find the "when is Mayo" coming up topic to be kind of fruitless. He doesn't really help us win more games right now. If someone gets hurt, sure bring him up.

Fix the pitching staff.

Did Evan Carter help Texas win the WS last season, even though their pitching staff is what they were focused on fixing?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

Fix the pitching staff.

Your point seems obvious but I'll offer an alternative logic: any improvement helps, regardless of whether it improves a team strength or weakness, and the offense or the pitching. I believe current stats show balance there even though we've lost front line starters to injury, and even though we doubt the bullpen can hold up. Drilling down, the question is more of detail, as in who sits when Mayo or Holliday plays, and how much the positional offense/defense is improved by doing so.

Holliday’s health and production have to cooperate but I think it makes a ton more sense for him to be up first. He can take at bats away from Mateo and allow a platoon situation. 

Then in September when the rosters expand Mayo can be brought up and DH vs LHP and spot start here and there. Maybe I’m way off, but I’m not sure if there are question marks about his glove playing him at an important defensive position while learning to hit MLB pitching is a good idea. 

4 hours ago, joelala said:

Who’s ABs does he take?

80% of 3B reps and let him prove it one way or another.  Maybe sit him for Burnes' starts (highest GB% of SPs).

Another guy can matriculate...