Reds Series

Three game set against the Reds starts tomorrow evening.  The matchups:

Irvin vs. Hunter Greene

Means vs. Andrew Abbott (LHP)

Kremer vs. Lodolo (LHP)

The Reds are 16-15 and are 4-6 over their last 10.  Obviously Elly De La Cruz is just absolutely everything right now and must-see TV but outside of him Spencer Steer is off to a respectable start (.814).  No one else has an OPS over .800

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Three game set against the Reds starts tomorrow evening.  The matchups:

Irvin vs. Hunter Greene

Means vs. Andrew Abbott (LHP)

Kremer vs. Lodolo (LHP)

The Reds are 16-15 and are 4-6 over their last 10.  Obviously Elly De La Cruz is just absolutely everything right now and must-see TV but outside of him Spencer Steer is off to a respectable start (.814).  No one else has an OPS over .800

Nice to see you come around on Elly.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, RavensNOsGuy said:

As always, 2 of 3 would make me happy. We owe these guys a little bit, they came in here last year and got us 2 of 3.

And in 2022 I think we lost 2 of 3 in CIN. It's generally not been a favorable place for us to play over the years.

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't care about Elly, really and you missed my sarcasm.  But my indifference to him merely serves to counteract your man-crush... watching you fawn all over him this weekend will be insufferable, I'm sure.  

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Gunnar and Elly should be a fun matchup.

Even Volpe, Abrams, Oneil down the list - there's no shortage of guys aiming to run down Corey Seager in time.     Two World Series MVP's is a formidable fortification at the top of the heap.

Those 3 Reds starters are good. I hope to see Elly throw 107 MPH to first base when Santander is halfway down the line and airmail it like he did the other day.

The NL Central has been a bit of a trouble spot for us lately.   We are 8-13 against that division since the start of last year, losing 6 of 7 series (the one exception being Pittsburgh at Camden Yards last May when Cedric hit for the cycle and Wells pitched a gem).

Weather could be a bit of an issue with a chance of rain Friday evening (though less than during the day there) and again Sunday afternoon.

Will be weird seeing a Reds team without Joey Votto on it.   Last year he didn't play for the Reds was 2006.   Chris Ray was the Orioles closer that year; Jeff Conine was the starting LF.

We'll see good SP opponents anyway, but notable winter player friendly contract Frankie Montas is already on the IL for them.

Some of how the Orioles outplayed the Yankees so far this week was the athleticism on the bases contrast, and in Cincinnati the Orioles will see talent like theirs in that part of the game.  

From a BP feature the other day on the Reds run production:

Through this weekend’s games, the Reds were 25th in MLB in DRC+, but ninth in runs per game. That’s partially because of their aggressive and fruitful baserunning, but that stops far short of explaining it. The Reds have more stolen bases than any other team in the league, and they attempt to go first-to-third on singles more often than any other team in the league. 

They’re tied with the Orioles for the league leadership, bringing around 38% of the runners who get on base. Last year, the league-average in that statistic was 31%, and the O’s led the league at 35%. Yes, the Reds’ speed helps them convert opportunities into something tangible.

They’ve reached base on 15 errors this year, most in MLB, and a lot of those have been because they hit ground balls (eighth-most in MLB) and run well enough to compel opponents to rush things.