Reds Series

This series will be tough. None of those Reds pitchers are slouches, not that that seems to matter with this team. It’s hard to pitch at Great American Smallpark; no Burnes or Bradish this series and Means makes his first start of 2024. Could see a lot of runs scored.

22 hours ago, SteveA said:

The NL Central has been a bit of a trouble spot for us lately.   We are 8-13 against that division since the start of last year, losing 6 of 7 series (the one exception being Pittsburgh at Camden Yards last May when Cedric hit for the cycle and Wells pitched a gem).

Weather could be a bit of an issue with a chance of rain Friday evening (though less than during the day there) and again Sunday afternoon.

Will be weird seeing a Reds team without Joey Votto on it.   Last year he didn't play for the Reds was 2006.   Chris Ray was the Orioles closer that year; Jeff Conine was the starting LF.

It is weird that the Orioles have won or split 16 series in a row vs AL East (12 wins, 4 splits) while losing 6 series in a row vs the NL Central at the same time. The AL East has clearly been the stronger division over that time period. Hopefully, the latter of those two changes this weekend.

1 hour ago, Malike said:

This Reds team might make the O's look slow. They are super athletic.

They have more team speed for sure. But I don’t think that they are good enough to make the O’s look bad or anything. The Reds are a .500 type team. 

Now that is not to say that they can’t/won’t take 2 of 3 from us. It’s baseball after all, stuff like that can and will happen over the course of 162.

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

Any idea what the prospects are of getting it in?

Just saw online someone said they announced in the stadium that it would start at 6:50. I don't know how reliable that is.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, interloper said:

Any idea what the prospects are of getting it in?

I just checked the radar and it looks like the rain should be ending there soon. So I'm pretty confident there will be a game tonight.

I thought Greene looked pretty good tonight with room to improve. O’s offense needs to wake up - the starters have been great but we all know the bill comes due eventually.  Pretty emphatic HR by O’Hearn tonight though…

A few pretty cool tables in this Szymborski story from yesterday at Fangraphs.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-orioles-are-running-out-of-lineup-spots/

Something I might not have guessed is that both Eric Davis' Reds and Barry Bonds' Pirates were young position player units even stronger than the Big Red Machine or Theo Epstein and Brandon Hyde's Cubs.