Snyder looks to be our LT 1B solution

JTrea81

In your opinion.

The bottom line is we need more positional talent on this team, and we just don't have the type of positional talent in our minor league system to match those other teams. I think people are projecting Snyder more on hope and hype than ability.

We need more guys like Ackley and yes Smoak in the system that will have patience power and good defense already and not have to develop even average skills in those categories to be passable at 1B or other positions.

I hear what you're saying dude, and I agree...we need more positional talent. But we can get positional talent via trades. This team looks WAY different than it did this time last year...please, please, please stop acting like things are a foregone conclusion and we will be without positional talent.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You're assuming that he believes what he says. I tend to think he's just doing all this as a general protest against a team that has a different take on building a winner than he does. In the past he's shown much more sense than he has recently, so unless he's had some kind of a breakdown I have to think this whole thing is a show. It's his way of thumbing his nose at the idea that Teixiera wasn't worth $250M of the Orioles' money.
This is basically it IMO. PA has unlimited funds should have forked up $250 mm for Tex, 100 mm for AJ, and signed Furcal and Lowe to boot.:laughlol:

I hear what you're saying dude, and I agree...we need more positional talent. But we can get positional talent via trades. This team looks WAY different than it did this time last year...please, please, please stop acting like things are a foregone conclusion and we will be without positional talent.

As I've said in the past we don't have much to trade to get that positional talent and it is a lot harder to get a Gamel than it is a Pie.

I just wish this team could find a 35-40 HR, 100+ RBI, .300+ BA, .900+ OPS first baseman to stick there for the next 6-10 seasons.

We had one with Palmeiro in 1994-1998, and I guess I just miss having that in the lineup. I want to see those stacked lineups we were fielding in 96-97, especially '97 when the Orioles had good hitting and good pitching.

I guess I am just sick of us continuing to settle for a 20 HR guy at the 1B position when the other teams are fielding anything but...

Does JTreas get a purple heart at the end of this thread? It's definitely been an intersting read, and a lot of the shots fired at him hit their mark. He deserves a metal for standing his ground, right or wrong.

I don't understand this logic. He posts 1000 posts a day on the same reTREAd topics, obstinately refuses to acknowledge not only his illogic, but his own duplicity and distortions, and rightly gets hit hard for it...

...and it's admirable? Seems to me he's pretty much a case-study for: hysteria, narcissism, martyr complexity, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and some inversion of Asperger syndrome that involves overblown emotion and systemic failure of all reasoning skills.

I don't understand this logic. He posts 1000 posts a day on the same reTREAd topics, obstinately refuses to acknowledge not only his illogic, but his own duplicity and distortions, and rightly gets hit hard for it...

...and it's admirable? Seems to me he's pretty much a case-study for: hysteria, narcissism, martyr complexity, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and some inversion of Asperger syndrome that involves overblown emotion and systemic failure of all reasoning skills.

Just forget to add a emoticon to a sardonic post and look what happens......:rolleyes:

:D

As I've said in the past we don't have much to trade to get that positional talent and it is a lot harder to get a Gamel than it is a Pie.

I just wish this team could find a 35-40 HR, 100+ RBI, .300+ BA, .900+ OPS first baseman to stick there for the next 6-10 seasons.

We had one with Palmeiro in 1994-1998, and I guess I just miss having that in the lineup. I want to see those stacked lineups we were fielding in 96-97, especially '97 when the Orioles had good hitting and good pitching.

I guess I am just sick of us continuing to settle for a 20 HR guy at the 1B position when the other teams are fielding anything but...

The steroid era is over. Last year only 3 firstbasemen had a ops >.900. Of those three, only one hit over 30 home runs. There were only 11 firstbasemen with >100 rbi and 5 hit .300 or better.

He stands his ground. Right or wrong. It does not matter to Trea I guess. He seems to have a beleif system and will stick to it come hell or high water. Maybe thta is what he meant. Being or it being admirable. But you have to admit the guy has taken a lot of hits. He is jsut another poster. I don't see any reason for him to take hits for his opinion. Even though i disagree with his opinion on things. Gosh he just has a right to what he believes. IMO

The steroid era is over. Last year only 3 firstbasemen had a ops >.900. Of those three, only one hit over 30 home runs. There were only 11 firstbasemen with >100 rbi and 5 hit .300 or better.

But if one of those 3 first basemen isn't an Oriole then the Orioles may as well not even bother showing up is JTrea's point, I believe.

Yeah, I miss those lineups too, but that was back when we were the Yankees and would spend a ton of money and get high quality/high price FA's. Those days are long gone for us.

20 homers is still nothing to sneeze at. If you had a lineup full of 9 guys who hit 20 homers a year, you'd be excited. I know I would be.

If we were to package Sherrill and Huff I think we could get something back.

I mean, lets be honest here....a year ago if we were told that headed into the 09 season we'd get Rich Hill and Felix Pie for practically nothing, would you believe it?

And the draft hasn't even come close to happening so you don't know what kind of talent we'll have after that happens.

Just relax a little bit, not having a slugging first baseman isn't the end of the world. Let's see how Snyder does this year with his offense and defense before making any more outrageous claims.

Deal?

Yea, it would be great if we had an inner-circle HOFer at first. Gosh, there've been, what, eight or ten of those in history? I'd be willing to bet there aren't five first basemen in history who did all of those things in each of six consecutive years.

Well, except that he only hit 23 homers in '94, only hit .259 in '97, .289 in '96, .296 in '98, drove in 74 runs in '94, and had an .814 OPS in '97.

Even your archetypical first baseman didn't do what you want every year during a massive offensive era.

Your fake arugment is basically that the O's are hopeless without one of the top 10 first basemen of all time in the lineup. If you can't see how crazy that is, you're not trying.

No just that we need an AS or potential AS at two positions out of LF, SS, 1B, DH and 3B. 1B is the easiest position to fill with a potential AS, so that's why I think we need to go out and get one. The sooner we do, the closer we are to competing.

What? This might be the oddest claim I've seen in recent memory. I've honestly never heard that a team needs a potential all-star DH. DH?! By definition it's a player limited in talent/ability. There are a handful of players skilled enough at hitting to be a good DH (their bat is valuable enough to trump the fact that they don't offer defensive value). There are almost zero young players with "potential" that would be relegated to DH. I can think of like four -- in the entire game -- that have a bat special enough to be a potential all-star and defensive questions enough to profile at DH.

The fact that people (myself included) are responding to comments like this is mind bottling...you know, when your thoughts get all mixed-up and trapped in your head, like a bottle?

I guess I need to lower my expectations then.

Is 30+ HR, 100+ RBI, .290-.300+ BA and .850+ OPS too much to ask for?

I guess it also shows how rare a bat Mark Teixeira was...

He stands his ground. Right or wrong. It does not matter to Trea I guess. He seems to have a beleif system and will stick to it come hell or high water. Maybe thta is what he meant. Being or it being admirable. But you have to admit the guy has taken a lot of hits. He is jsut another poster. I don't see any reason for him to take hits for his opinion. Even though i disagree with his opinion on things. Gosh he just has a right to what he believes. IMO

Sure, he has a right to a factually incorrect opinion. But this is a semi-public messageboard. If you post dumb stuff you'll get skewered. If you don't want that, don't post dumb stuff.

Archived