Snyder looks to be our LT 1B solution

JTrea81

But see, here is the thing even if Matusz DOESN'T reach his full ace potential. Even if he is only a middle of the ground guy -

Middle rotation sold starter will cost more than middle of the ground firstbasman.

This is very simple math here JTrea.

Am I the only person here thinking JTrea has a financial interest in the number of posts at OH?

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But JTrea, I thought we were comparing top hitting to top pitching?

You say Clemens got that ridiculous 28 M contract (for 4 months, project that for a 6 month season and it'll just blow everything else out of the water) because he is a HOF pitcher.

Isn't Manny a HOF hitter? Why isn't he worth the same amount if hitting is so much more valuable.

I wish I could provide a link, but I remember reading from a scout that the upside of Smoak is actually closer to Adrian Gonzalez than Tex, but the reason he gets compared to Tex so often is because he's a switch hitter. Obviously, Gonzalez is no slouch, but he's also no Tex. This was obviously apparent to quite a few teams on draft day.

But we want a stud at 1B not a middle ground 1st baseman.
NO!

What we want is a competitive team. If we use our resources to spend a ton to get a "stud 1B" that limits what we can spend elsewhere. Perhaps spending a ton of that 1B would be the most efficient way to get things done. Or perhaps hoping Snyder can be an acceptable 1B and we'll have a ton of money left elsewhere to spend on a 3B of a SS or whatever will be the better way.

All we "want" to do is compete. Whether that is through a ridiculous offense and a passable rotation, a great rotation and a passable offense, a great defense, whatever the combination is. Just win, baby.

Committing a lot of dollars early in the process may work out, and I would have gambled that it would with Tex, but it definitely would lower our flexibility to make more moves down the line to fix things that might not go according to plan.

But we want a stud at 1B not a middle ground 1st baseman. At some point due to the fragile nature of pitchers, the curve goes above the pitcher's value for a good hitter. That's why you actually do spend less if you sign a #2 pitcher and draft a stud hitter...

Chances are the #2 pitcher that you've signed has a lot better chance of throwing valuable innings, than the potential #2 pitcher you've drafted that could flame out at any time, especially if it is a HS arm.

But you are assuming that Smoak will be a stud with so much certainty. You can't write off one guy and then assume that Smoak is just going to light it up.

Billy Rowell was the best hitter in the draft when we got him, and now there are people that are doubting he will ever make it to the big leagues. Ryan Leaf got drafted BEFORE Peyton Manning.

The DRAFT IS A CRAP SHOOT.

YOU want a stud firstbasman. but the Orioles don't NEED a stud firstbasman.

You realize that a solid 2/3 + of the league had a starting firstbaseman that does not meet your qualifications? And that seven of the 10, were in a league with much weaker pitching?

Now, compare that with pitching. Of the top ten pitching teams in MLB - SEVEN of them were playoff teams last year. The only one out of the top ten were the Mets (12). Compare that to only FOUR of the top 10 run scoring teams made the playoffs.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/aggregate?statType=pitching&seasonType=2&group=9&typereg&split=0&season=2008

Last year, the Orioles scored more runs than half of the playoff teams.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/aggregate?statType=batting&seasonType=2&group=9&typereg&split=0&season=2008

WE NEED PITCHING.

It should also be pointed out that sometime in the near future that Orioles are going to have a huge surplus of young pitchers. They are having a hard time figuring out where to put everyone in the Minors this year. I know all of them won't pan out, but that's plenty of trade bait for any position you want to fill.

Look, Smoak and Snyder are the same age (13 days apart), and they're both likely to start the year in AA. Let's wait at least for the season to get underway to determine if there really is a $150 million difference between them. Somehow, I doubt there is.

It should also be pointed out that sometime in the near future that Orioles are going to have a huge surplus of young pitchers.

Everybody was probably thinking the same thing at the start of Spring Training; now look.You never have enough pitching or pitchers-at least not good ones.

I'll take Ackley if he falls to us, but the Orioles will probably pass and draft a pitcher and just go with Snyder, I can see it happening...

I just want us to fix first base with a first baseman that can put up the #'s a first baseman is supposed to. It always seems we are trying to do the least amount of work possible to fill that position. Snyder just seems like another patch to a gaping hole...

Questions.

When you go to restaraunt do you go in the kitchen and tell the chef how to cook?

When you fly do you speak to the pilot about how he should takeoff and land?

Archived