Why Elias took Holliday over Drew Jones in 2022 draft

Cuellar35

Posted (edited)

I don't think there are secret reasons.  I think Elias has stressed in interviews that Jackson had an amazing senior year of school and they did their due diligence and came down to Jackson.  

I think it was close with Drew Jones.  He was very quality.  I think the stat guys just thought Jackson was a little bit better.  

Drew getting hurt before even playing a single game in the minors has hurt his progress a lot.   But we for sure did not think Drew was an injury risk.  

Edited by Gurgi

7 minutes ago, O's84 said:

It's Druw Jones.  His father's first name was spelled Andruw, so that's where the Druw spelling came from.   

I will figure it out.  It took me a year to spell Wieters and not Weiters but I finally figured it out.

I live in the Atlanta area.  In May 2022 the choice was thought to be Druw (I apologize for the earlier missspelling).  I decided to go see Wesleyan's first round playoff game to see him.  None other than Mike Elias was there as well.  Druw's first AB was an absolute rope of a HR.  Nothing from that doubleheader suggested Druw was anything but a stud.  Then the draft rolls around and the Birds take Jackson. My brother's son played on a little league team coached by the brother of the Wesleyan head coach, who informed his brother that Andruw told Elias that Druw would not sign with the O's if they drafted him but would honor his commitment to attend Vanderbilt.  I have confirmed this with several other sources.  So Elias had no choice but to take Holliday.  I don't think any O's fan is complaining!  I'm simply surprised this story has never been brought out.

24 minutes ago, Cuellar35 said:

I live in the Atlanta area.  In May 2022 the choice was thought to be Druw (I apologize for the earlier missspelling).  I decided to go see Wesleyan's first round playoff game to see him.  None other than Mike Elias was there as well.  Druw's first AB was an absolute rope of a HR.  Nothing from that doubleheader suggested Druw was anything but a stud.  Then the draft rolls around and the Birds take Jackson. My brother's son played on a little league team coached by the brother of the Wesleyan head coach, who informed his brother that Andruw told Elias that Druw would not sign with the O's if they drafted him but would honor his commitment to attend Vanderbilt.  I have confirmed this with several other sources.  So Elias had no choice but to take Holliday.  I don't think any O's fan is complaining!  I'm simply surprised this story has never been brought out.

So he was pulling a John Elway?  Well that's his right but frankly HE is probably disappointed with his choice.  The Orioles are going to win multiple World Series while Druw is still in the minor leagues. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Cuellar35 said:

I don't think any O's fans are complaining with how that draft turned out!  I was simply pointing out that Andruw Jones forced Elias's decision. And so far so good.

Druw is probably happy he didn't go to college because if he went into the draft with an injury history he would NOT get 8 million.  So good luck to the kid. 

If this is true that he rejected Baltimore its a little odd because in summer of 22 at the draft time the Orioles were above .500 and had the best farm system in the country.  So signs were all looking up.  We did still have a horrible owner but we were stable.  Not like Oakland.  He could of served his time like Machado and cash in for mega dollars.  This must of been an idea of Andruw and the agent.  I cant think a kid is going to come up with this on his own.