Bullpen Strategy for the 12:15 Restart

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

If we didn't have another game today it's probably Coulombe. Between Webb and Akin, I don't have a strong preference but I am confident the matchup was determined prior to gametime and was quite intentional even if it didn't work out. 

Yeah, I've never been a fan of that kind of managing. Play to win the game in front of you not a game that might never be within reach (for either team).

2 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Yeah, I've never been a fan of that kind of managing. Play to win the game in front of you not a game that might never be within reach (for either team).

I can see that if we had the lead but in this case it's a tie game. If we don't score you might be burning Coulombe for nothing on a day when we could really need him. Webb/Akin seems like the right combo in that they should be good enough to do the job but you don't mind losing them if you lose the game. There was also plenty of game left for Coulombe to come in for a high leverage LHB if we got the lead.

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I can see that if we had the lead but in this case it's a tie game. If we don't score you might be burning Coulombe for nothing on a day when we could really need him. Webb/Akin seems like the right combo in that they should be good enough to do the job but you don't mind losing them if you lose the game. There was also plenty of game left for Coulombe to come in for a high leverage LHB if we got the lead.

I'm really trying to figure out how Hyde uses his relievers. He put Coulombe in a tie game against the Blue Jays after Cano just gave up a game tying dinger. The same game Keegan Akin was available and ended up pitching (and blowing it!) in the 10th. 

1 minute ago, LookitsPuck said:

I'm really trying to figure out how Hyde uses his relievers. He put Coulombe in a tie game against the Blue Jays after Cano just gave up a game tying dinger. The same game Keegan Akin was available and ended up pitching (and blowing it!) in the 10th. 

I think you answered your question there. Sometimes the situation changes between when you get a guy up to start warming and when he's ready to come in the game. We also know that Hyde is very matchup driven and plans the matchups before the game. So he knew he wanted Cano for Vlad-Bichette.

For me the weirdest thing about that game was Coulombe only lasted one pitch.