Baumann traded for Blake Hunt

Birds08

Great trade considering I had already assumed we got nothing in return for Baumann. Hunt seems like at worst a future backup MLB catcher, with the potential to be an average starter. Seems kind of comparable to McCann's game, very good defensively with some pop in his bat. Also we get younger, Baumann 28 y.o and Hunt 25. 

Big kid for a catcher. Has pop, stance reminds me a little of O’Hearn. No idea how he is defensively but this guy looks to be every part of a backup catcher someday until Basallo makes his way through the minors. Excellent trade for both teams.

Posted (edited)

Whether this is a good trade will depend on how good Hunt is defensively and with pitch calling as a catcher.    Right now I just throw him into the mix with Handley as a backup catcher.

Its not a good sign that Tampa traded him for another minor league catcher.

Means' yet to be determined arm issue and Kremer issue with a blister makes the loss of Baumann something to watch.

Heasley and  Povich look like the next men up if the O's need to add a pitcher from AAA.

Glad to see McGough move from AA to AAA.

Edited by wildcard
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Philip said:

Meh.

Considering we were DFA and losing him for zippo it a decent pick up. BTW, Hunt is showing in Seattle’s top 30 (#23) on MLB.com. 

Edited by Roll Tide
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Its not a good sign that Tampa traded him for another minor league catcher.

Tampa also rolled the dice on him one offseason with leaving him off the 40-man roster when his name was prominent as a top Rule 5 candidate.

Nobody did the Anthony Santander thing out of A-ball with a catcher.

He was a high school bat who commanded a $1.6M bonus, and some of why high school catchers maybe have 2nd place to high school pitchers as a risky demographic is they take so long to develop.

The Mariners have Cal Raleigh now and Harry Ford later.    It makes "who will the backup catcher be in 2025" less of a mystery starting out the offseason.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, ScGO's said:

I guess this means they will be moving on from the idea of Maverick Handley as a back up

I wouldn’t say so.  I’d say Hunt adds to the competition as back up C. 

Edited by Frobby

A potential backup catcher with 3 options.  That’s a little more than I thought they’d get.   Wasn’t listed by Fangraphs as one of Tampas top 48 before the 2023 season but up to #23 on MLB currently.

McCann must be shaking in his cleats.

For real though, this is a 2025 back up move. I like it and it’s more than I expected for Baumann. I wonder if he’ll land in the O’s top 30 at all?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I don’t consider a 4 o’clock game a night game. He also caught Wednesday night and Thursday day this week. Moral of the story is McCann will start 4 games in 7 days because he is Burnes preferred catcher.
    • It is absolutely possible. In 2022, the Mets gave a QO to Bassitt, Nikki, and DeGrom. The Red Sox gave a QO to Boegarts and Eovaldi. The Yankees gave a QO to Judge and Rizzo. The Dodgers gave a QO to Turner and Anderson. I know that it seems to be a foregone conclusion that Santander will not be on the team after this season, and while I generally agree that it is more probable than not that he will not be re-signed, I do think there is a non-zero chance that he will be retained. I think he is the most likely of Mullins, Hays, and himself to be retained, even if it is a small chance. The team has told us how they feel about his bat because he plays essentially everyday, and I have heard Kostka say that they value his clubhouse presence.
    • Santander won’t get a QO, and if he did, he would accept. His defense is declining and we have too many capable youngsters who should replace him effectively. But to your question, I don’t know if there’s a limit, but I doubt it.
    • O's will probably have to wait till July for a trade because there are so many more buyers than sellers.  I think teams like the Blue Jays, Rays Tigers and Mets are likely to be sellers but they are still in the race although not very good teams as constituted. 
    • No Scott. He’s way too undependable. We need someone who WON’T enter a game and walk folks like he’s promoting a healthy lifestyle. He’s been a lot bette4 this season, but he’s too undependable, and we already have too many of those. No Flaherty either. That’s like taking your GF back after she cheated on you.
    • The team's continued success has really put Elias on the spot IMO and I don't see a Flaherty type as an option anymore.  My money is on a sensible trade that comes at a price high enough that most of us here, including myself, won't like, but a premium comes with having bad luck and that's where the O's are at the moment.
    • I would be very surprised if every last one of the GM's Elias talks to about quality starting pitching doesn't start by asking about Westburg and the rest.  Again, I think it's a mistake to believe that the O's have a ton of leverage here.  They certainly have some, and Elias is smart and disciplined, but I don't see any bargains.  I especially don't see the luxury of acting like youth and multiple years of control is any kind of rigid starting point for the O's.
  • Popular Contributors