The 2024 Trade Deadline

Starting pitching is a priority now. They need a good #3 (or #2 depending on who is available) pair with Burnes and Grayson. Kremer, Irvin and Suarez/Povich rounding out the bottom of the starting rotation isn’t going to cut it. 

Suarez has been a good story, but it’s time for him to be the long man in the bullpen. Kremer ideally is the #4 starter in this rotation and not starting game 3 of a playoff series. 

7 hours ago, Just Regular said:

I think it is more of a barstool conversation because I can't think of a real world example, but it is in the can't easily dismiss it range for me if Getz combines Crochet and Robert to try and unlock Mayo or Basallo.

Fedde is nearer to a Kyle Gibson regular season type he doesn't move the needle for me considering talents this big.

From those three as the core of the deal, then maybe there's window dressing as Robert makes Austin Hays' role pretty minimal, and figure on the margins we then ask for Brebbia as an upgrade on our Vespi kind of guys.

Crochet, Robert and Brebbia for Hays and Basallo?

Power ranking trade value of individual players one at a time - Mayo and Basallo for me are both ahead of Crochet and Robert.

I don't think Kjerstad alone gets either, but I do think Kjerstad makes a nice Over/Under on the overall future value Elias will move.

Sorry, buddy.  The WS can’t turn Roberts and Crochet into ONE prospect even if it’s a top 20 guy like Basallo.   They need to turn those guys into 3-4 good prospects and a few guys with a chance.  The WS are in bad shape.  You don’t trade your #1 pitcher who’s controllable for 2+ years and your star CF who’s controllable for 3-4 years for ONE guy.   

49 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Jim Bowden keeps mentioning Severino as a good fit with Orioles. Of course that also depends on Mets being out of it. Says Crochet is best arm available. 

• Garrett Crochet (Age 25): The 6'6-245 highly touted lefty has been among the game's best starters thus far this season. In 2021, he began relieving, with 54.1 IP, with a 2.82 ERA, 2.80 FIP, and 10.8 K/9.  He then missed all of 2022 with Tommy John surgery.  He returned in May of 2023 and continued as a reliever, yet had lost much of the season with left shoulder inflammation, and threw just 12.1 IP.  This year he looks great, making 16 starts in 88.2 IP, with a 3.25 ERA, 2.59 FIP, and 12.6 K/9. 

My thoughts? Perhaps the single most rumored starter on the market, the dynamic young lefty looks the part of an ace.  But there are major red flags.  1) His injuries, missing 2022 and essentially 2023.  2) His innings thrown, as he has already thrown more than 20 innings than at any point in his college or pro career. I'd love to have him.  But I may want to see how the season plays out before potentially inquiring on him again this off-season. 

• Luis Severino (Age 30): In 2022 he made 19 starts in 102 IP, with a 3.18 ERA, 3.70 FIP, and 9.9 K/9.  Last year he was dreadful, making 18 starts in 89.1 IP, with a 6.65 ERA, 6.14 FIP, and 8.0 K/9.  This, his final season before FA, has been better.  He has 14 starts in 84.1 IP, with a 3.52 ERA, 4.18 FIP, and 6.5 K/9. 

My thoughts? The 30-year-old hasn't pitched a full season since 2018 and showing notable regression in his K/9.  He has already thrown nearly as many innings this year as last year and not far off from 2022.  I think it's unlikely he'd have enough in the tank to start the remainder of the season, nor do I have confidence he won't be reinjured/regress. 
Edited by Greg Pappas
  • Upvote 1

From Fansided: 3 Orioles trade packages working together to overtake Yankees in AL East

Baltimore Orioles RECEIVE RHP Mason Miller, OF Brent Rooker
Oakland A's RECEIVE INF Coby Mayo, OF Dylan Beavers, RHP Chayce McDermott, OF/2B Billy Cook

Baltimore Orioles RECEIVE LHP Tanner Scott
Miami Marlins RECEIVE RHP Trace Bright

Baltimore Orioles RECEIVE RHP Jack Flaherty
Detroit Tigers RECEIVE RHP Seth Johnson, RHP Justin Armbruester

There's no way that first trade happens. I would not deal Mayo for Miller+.  
I'm not sure Bright would be enough.
I'd prefer we didn't trade two pitchers back, and wish I knew whether there were issues between Flaherty and his teammates.  If no issues, then I'd consider him for sure.

Edited by Greg Pappas

15 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Yankees get J.D. Davis to cover Giancarlo's absence - Boone early report is Giancarlo hamstring strain is minor.

I’m gonna guess Stanton this is it for Stanton this year. The Yankees are collapsing. Judge’s foot has been messed up all season too. 

Their position player group is probably the worst in the AL East. Juan Soto can only do so much. Lucas Gil did a nice Gerrit Cole impression too. We’ll see how long that lasts. 

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Nightengale does not expect Luzardo to be traded because he went on the IL with a back problem.

Not too upset by that. His FB already gets hammered and can’t imagine that would improve too much moving over to the AL East. Seems like his name value is higher than his actual value at this point.

48 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

Not too upset by that. His FB already gets hammered and can’t imagine that would improve too much moving over to the AL East. Seems like his name value is higher than his actual value at this point.

Looking at some of the Marlins starters statcast data, it’s funny how all of them seem to have a lot of subpar data. I wonder if there is something in how the Marlins are teaching them?

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Looking at some of the Marlins starters statcast data, it’s funny how all of them seem to have a lot of subpar data. I wonder if there is something in how the Marlins are teaching them?

Yeah I’m not sure about that. Some of Luzardo’s numbers seem tied to his FB though. In 2022, when they were pretty good, his FB xwOBA was very good. Its dropped steadily since then as has his xERA. I’ll take a few of their relievers though. 

I am curious to see what happens with the Astros and Verlander.  Looks like they may be heating up making it irrelevant but if they end up being a seller and he shows he is healthy before the deadline I think Verlander is the guy Elias targets.  I think with our new ownership and low payroll no reason we cannot take on the remainder of that contract and he could be the perfect replacement for Bradish.