The 2024 Trade Deadline

13 minutes ago, e16bball said:

The fit here seems almost too obvious. Veteran rentals where we’ll only have to take on a relatively small amount of money and probably won’t cost us anything particularly high-end. 

Given my choice, I’d probably lean toward Heaney and Robertson. I like the idea of adding a lefty to what it appears at the moment will be a pretty righty heavy SP group, and Heaney is in great form at the moment. And I think Robertson’s performance seems a little more sustainable than Yates’s, given their more recent track records. He’s also got a ton of playoff pitching history, so I’d have a little more trust in his ability to manage the moment.

I think the biggest mystery for me is what would Texas be seeking. The ML lineup seems pretty set, so it’s hard to envision a Norby or Stowers having value there. Maybe a “now” pitcher like Povich/McDermott plus a couple lower level/higher ceiling guys?

Yea I don’t know how we match up and this isn’t a team that will rebuild, so you figure they want pieces to help soon.

This may be a situation where you need a third team.

OToH, we are talking mostly rentals here, so how much do you go with “need” vs just BPA?  

31 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That’s weird because I only posted 50 times that I wanted Joey Ortiz as the second piece in a Cease trade.

Two weeks later.   The internet must be slow in the Midwest.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea I don’t know how we match up and this isn’t a team that will rebuild, so you figure they want pieces to help soon.

This may be a situation where you need a third team.

OToH, we are talking mostly rentals here, so how much do you go with “need” vs just BPA?  

If the Rangers want MLB pieces, I wonder if Urias could be interesting as a fit for them as a bench guy? He is controllable for 2 years after this one. They obviously have stars in their infield with Semien, Seager, Jung, and Josh Smith is having an out of nowhere great year, but depth is always valuable.

Smith is definitely a plus utility guy now, so maybe Urias is not that interesting for them, but it seems Smith can also play the OF and hasn’t played much 2B. I don’t think Urias is a primary piece in a trade or have all that much trade value, but maybe the Rangers could be a fit if they are focused just on retooling for 2025. 

1 minute ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

If the Rangers want MLB pieces, I wonder if Urias could be interesting as a fit for them as a bench guy? He is controllable for 2 years after this one. They obviously have stars in their infield with Semien, Seager, Jung, and Josh Smith is having an out of nowhere great year, but depth is always valuable.

Smith is definitely a plus utility guy now, so maybe Urias is not that interesting for them, but it seems Smith can also play the OF and hasn’t played much 2B. I don’t think Urias is a primary piece in a trade or have all that much trade value, but maybe the Rangers could be a fit if they are focused just on retooling for 2025. 

Possible. As I have been saying, in these types of larger deals, there is almost always a ML Player going back in the deal.  Urias makes sense as that player for many teams and in many deals.

2 hours ago, Allan Bryant said:

Yes , I’m with you on the “not doing anything at this deadline while Burnes is verge of FA and service clocks of Gunnar & Adley “ is not a wise decision on Elias’s part .  My question is……….does it has be Crochet ?   I know many think he and Skubal are the best available deadline players . I think there are some talented SPs & RPs on the market .  I believe we won’t see Suki 2.0 or Flaherty 2.0 . But if happens , I will post my words here and own up to them 

No it doesn’t have to be Crochet. And yes I would prefer Skubal. But I think it would be wise for us to try to acquire a top tier pitcher. IMO it protects against the possible loss of Burnes in the offseason and it makes us as strong as possible to pursue a World Series this season.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

No it doesn’t have to be Crochet. And yes I would prefer Skubal. But I think it would be wise for us to try to acquire a top tier pitcher. IMO it protects against the possible loss of Burnes in the offseason and it makes us as strong as possible to pursue a World Series this season.

Is there a price you wouldn’t pay for Skubal if he were available?

I’m assuming you’d have no qualms about a Mayo, Basallo, McDermott, DeLeon package?

15 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I understand your case and logic for Skubal  . I do like him too . However I question whether the Tigers will trade him and secondly , is Elias willing pay the high costs to acquire him ?  Knowing Elias , I’m not sure 🤷‍♂️ 

44 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Is there a price you wouldn’t pay for Skubal if he were available?

I’m assuming you’d have no qualms about a Mayo, Basallo, McDermott, DeLeon package?

I absolutely would not pay a price that includes Mayo and Basallo.

Where are the instances recently as it relates to trades where a team gave up two top 15ish position player prospects for any pitcher? I bet they are very rare, and even less rare with pitcher injury rates being what they are.

I get that the Tigers can play hard ball and don't "have" to trade Skubal. But I also know that is a risk for them in that he could get hurt and then have no trade value between no and next deadline. IMO the Tigers are not going anywhere with or without Skubal for the next few seasons. They simply don't have the position player talent/offense to be a serious contender. And there best prospects (while admittedly very good) are all in single A. That's why I don't think that Kjerstad holds much appeal for them. Because he doesn't really match their competitive timeline.

I don't think any team would pay that kind of price for Skubal. IMO only the Phillies are in a position to offer that sort of package. Maybe Seattle? But neither of those teams need pitching. The Phillies are absolutely loaded as is in the pitching department. And Seattle does have enough offense to seriously challenge.

Having said all that, I would certainly seriously consider surrendering one of Mayo/Basallo. But it would have to be in a type of deal like this where I get back a difference making starter who is cost controlled for more than one year.

And yes to McDermott (absolutely). Now DeLeon is interesting in that he may have some serious upside. But if you believe in your International/Dominican academy/program, then you have to trust that you can find/farm more young/high upside arms like him.

44 minutes ago, Allan Bryant said:

I understand your case and logic for Skubal  . I do like him too . However I question whether the Tigers will trade him and secondly , is Elias willing pay the high costs to acquire him ?  Knowing Elias , I’m not sure 🤷‍♂️ 

I think the Tigers would be very wise to sell high. IMO holding him for another season lowers his value because it only lessens his time until FA AND it increases the possibility of him being hurt between now and then. And then they get nothing. 

IMO either way, they are not built set up to win a World Series with him (in the 2 1/2 seasons that they have left on his contract). They don't have nearly enough offense and their best position player prospects are in A ball.

Now on to your Elias point, I agree that he has been very patient and slow moving. But I think the time has come where the stakes are much higher and he is going to have to be much more decisive. There is now an opportunity cost to doing nothing/very little/hedging.

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That’s weird because I only posted 50 times that I wanted Joey Ortiz as the second piece in a Cease trade.

Really …. I remember guys on your board bashing Ortiz, calling him old, and even changed his first name in a few posts. Although I can’t remember what they were calling him. Saying he wasn’t a good fit for the White Sox. 

2 hours ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Urias will be more valuable to a team where he can play everyday. I think he’s one of those guys that can’t produce part time. So probably valuable to a rebuilding squad to provide entertainment during a rebuild and then can return some trade value.