The 2024 Trade Deadline

57 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think there are tons of ways of getting it done.

Im trying Mounty for Scherzer and Yates/Robertson.

Texas isn’t going to rebuild and has a need at first long term. 

Youre going to get 2 of those 3 For Mounty? Same SG that scolded mea couple of days ago for saying Mounty was worth more than a non tender. Long term needs at first , could resign Lowe. Texas would laugh there as off at this, even if there selling.

51 minutes ago, vab said:

I would expect Scherzer to require an extension - he has a full no trade clause. 

I forgot he had a no trade clause.  That changes things.  There's no way that Elias will agree to add on a year or two at $30 million/year as it will hamstring us for next year.

10 minutes ago, Safelykept said:

Youre going to get 2 of those 3 For Mounty? Same SG that scolded mea couple of days ago for saying Mounty was worth more than a non tender. Long term needs at first , could resign Lowe. Texas would laugh there as off at this, even if there selling.

I’m trying to interpret what this says but I’m struggling.

All I will say is that I don’t think they tender Lowe a 10+M contract next year.

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m trying to interpret what this says but I’m struggling.

All I will say is that I don’t think they tender Lowe a 10+M contract next year.

It says exactly what it says, So there not going To give Lowe 10 plus but they will do that with Mounty. The rest of it , Mounty for 2 of those 3, what part dont you understand or interpret? You posted it.

9 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I forgot he had a no trade clause.  That changes things.  There's no way that Elias will agree to add on a year or two at $30 million/year as it will hamstring us for next year.

Maybe I am way off base in my thinking but I think adding a year on to Scherzer for 30M would make the deal even better.  I know injuries can happen but Scherzer is a dog, if he is remotely healthy he is going to try and pitch.  One year deals for our current payroll are perfect, Long term deals that would impact locking up our young stars is what I want to avoid. 

Who knows if Scherzer is interested in pitching here.  We are a clear WS contender and he pitched many years down the street in DC so I can't imagine he would be totally against it. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Safelykept said:

It says exactly what it says, So there not going To give Lowe 10 plus but they will do that with Mounty. The rest of it , Mounty for 2 of those 3, what part dont you understand or interpret? You posted it.

I don’t understand your writing.  It’s all over the place and I’m not sure what you are even asking .

Mounty is not going to make 10+M next year.

Here we again , keep moving the goal posts, Whats Mounty arb 2 number you did not answer me in earlier post. 8 Million vs 10 . its the same thing. In The meantime you attack my writing style as youre defense to youre blunders. SG for gods sakes answer the question Mounty for 2 of these 3. Its the third time I ask this

• Upvote 1

Based on who's on the market, I'm getting a rental SP and a rental bullpen arm. Perhaps Fedde but I'm not sure what the White Sox want. I'd aggressively target Skubal in the offseason, when we have a bit clearer pictures on things. I'd be interested in the Cubs pitchers but I'm not sure they will be selling.

12 minutes ago, Safelykept said:

Here we again , keep moving the goal posts, Whats Mounty arb 2 number you did not answer me in earlier post. 8 Million vs 10 . it’s the same thing. In The meantime you attack my writing style as youre defense to youre blunders. SG for gods sakes answer the question Mounty for 2 of these 3. Its the third time I ask this

Quit crying.  Your posts are hard to decipher.  I’m sorry you are sensitive to me saying that but when you are trying to ask me something and I don’t know what it is you saying, I can’t answer you. 

Im not moving any goal posts, I just don’t know what you are asking.

And I didn’t realize 8 and 10M are the same thing (I don’t think Mounty gets to 8M either). I thought 10 was bigger than 8?  Hmmm, who knew? 

I was quite clear on what I said a deal for Mounty was. If that’s what you are asking about, just read what I wrote.

It may end up moot as TEX is getting hot and SEA is lame, but if they fail I don't think Scherzer has a lot of leverage to overplay his hand.

He knows he doesn't have a lot of autumns left, he's already critiqued the Dodgers for not pitching him enough, and his SP3 role is more assured on the Orioles than the Phillies if it comes to it.

I think the Orioles represent a lot of value for him relative to wildcard contenders as the only thing he's pitching for at this point in his career are the trophies.

6 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

It may end up moot as TEX is getting hot and SEA is lame, but if they fail I don't think Scherzer has a lot of leverage to overplay his hand.

He knows he doesn't have a lot of autumns left, he's already critiqued the Dodgers for not pitching him enough, and his SP3 role is more assured on the Orioles than the Phillies if it comes to it.

I think the Orioles represent a lot of value for him relative to wildcard contenders as the only thing he's pitching for at this point in his career are the trophies.

I saw that he has waived his NTC 3 of the last 4 years. It’s possible that he just doesn’t want to move again but I would guess that’s not true.

This is probably a big week for them. 6 games on the road with the Angels and Astros. If they can go 4-2 or better, I think they keep holding off.  I think they are a team that, if they sell, it will be much closer to the deadline. 

33 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Quit crying.  Your posts are hard to decipher.  I’m sorry you are sensitive to me saying that but when you are trying to ask me something and I don’t know what it is you saying, I can’t answer you. 

Im not moving any goal posts, I just don’t know what you are asking.

And I didn’t realize 8 and 10M are the same thing (I don’t think Mounty gets to 8M either). I thought 10 was bigger than 8?  Hmmm, who knew? 

I was quite clear on what I said a deal for Mounty was. If that’s what you are asking about, just read what I wrote.

He’s asking if you think we can get those 2 guys for Mountcastle 

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

He’s asking if you think we can get those 2 guys for Mountcastle 

It’s very possible I think.(which is why I suggested it to begin with)

Edited by Sports Guy

23 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

You think much more highly of Scherzer than I do or his current ability suggest. At best he would only be the FIFTH starter for the Phillies and would not crack their playoff rotation. I don't see where he would even fit in their bullpen. So I don't even think that would be an option. Once Yamamoto and Buehler return, I can't see the Dodgers having much interest.

Yes we could use him. But I don't think that he is this ultra valued commodity anymore where he can just pick his spot. He really didn't help the Rangers at all last postseason when they acquired him. But they were fine because they buffered themselves with the Montgomery acquisition. I would hate for Scherzer to be all we do.

At his age (recent injury history) he simply isn't reliable enough to be counted on in that way. If this was 2013- 2021 when he was absolutely stellar that would be one thing. But now, he really isn't close to what he once was.

• Upvote 1