The 2024 Trade Deadline

2 hours ago, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

From our recent past, I’m a fan of going and grabbing a Joe Saunders type or even Scott Feldman type. Both produced pretty well and didn’t cost too much.

Yeah, Feldman only cost us Arrieta and Strop.  Not much, considering we also got back Steve Clevenger.  

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, Feldman only cost us Arrieta and Strop.  Not much, considering we also got back Steve Clevenger.  

What were Arrieta and Strop doing here though?  Strop was out of options.  He was essentially that dude Valera that we DFA'd and the Diamondbacks picked up.  I don't hear anyone crying over him, yet...

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

What were Arrieta and Strop doing here though?  Strop was out of options.  He was essentially that dude Valera that we DFA'd and the Diamondbacks picked up.  I don't hear anyone crying over him, yet...

I always liked Strop and was disappointed to lose him even though he’d been somewhat erratic.  I agree we hadn’t gotten anything out of Arrieta - that’s our fault, because he clearly had the talent.   I wasn’t against the trade at the time, but that’s because I didn’t realize just how badly we’d screwed up his development.  

8 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Could we swing a deal for Robert without giving up one of the big 3?  I think Robert's OBP would go up hitting in our lineup.  

Maybe we get Fedde and Robert for Cowser, EBJ, Norby, Stowers, and McDermott.  

I would guess if Kjerstad or Cowser are leading the package, you could get Robert.  

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

This is funny and sad at the same time.  I was just discussing with another O's fan what "The Calvary" could have been if we had the player development staff in place then that we do now.  I wonder how many guys had the talent in our system but were just never developed properly.  Arrieta had multiple seasons pitching as flat out stud after he got into the Cubs organization. 

Soto and Cole are going to be Free Agents after this year.  The Yankees are kind of pot committed to go for it this season.

The Sawx have 3 prospects in the top 25 and are only 4.5 GB.  Are they going to be passive this deadline?

We might have to trade 2 of the big 3 just to keep up.  Elias got lucky last year that he was in a division race with the Rays.  This year is going to be pricey.  

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I always liked Strop and was disappointed to lose him even though he’d been somewhat erratic.  I agree we hadn’t gotten anything out of Arrieta - that’s our fault, because he clearly had the talent.   I wasn’t against the trade at the time, but that’s because I didn’t realize just how badly we’d screwed up his development.  

Arrieta also had the calcified shoulder.  People are so scared of TJ, do they know how much of a miracle Arrieta's pitching health was? 

So we dealt away a pitcher that had never put things together given multiple opportunities that had a calcified shoulder. A reliever with poor command that was out of options.  

Hindsight 20/20 though. This is directed at all O's fans.  We sort of had to make that deal.  

Edited by sportsfan8703

6 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Arrieta also had the calcified shoulder.  People are so scared of TJ, do they know how much of a miracle Arrieta's pitching health was? 

So we dealt away a pitcher that had never put things together given multiple opportunities that had a calcified shoulder. A reliever with poor command that was out of options.  

Hindsight 20/20 though. This is directed at all O's fans.  We sort of had to make that deal.  

I know Bundy had a calcified shoulder.  Are you sure you don't have them confused?

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That was the year we kept TJ McFarland on the roster all year as Rule 5. Impacted Strop. Strop really struggled and one time he went on the DL which I always wondered was a real injury or just a reset for him. He kept struggling and was out of options.  

Buck did a ton of good but his pitching coach issues really hurt the organization. I assumed Arrieta was the issue and not the development. I was wrong. 

6 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

That was the year we kept TJ McFarland on the roster all year as Rule 5. Impacted Strop. Strop really struggled and one time he went on the DL which I always wondered was a real injury or just a reset for him. He kept struggling and was out of options.  

Buck did a ton of good but his pitching coach issues really hurt the organization. I assumed Arrieta was the issue and not the development. I was wrong. 

MacFarland was the better pitcher that year than Strop.  Heck, he was better than Arrieta that season.  Results matter and we were winning.  MacFarland is still pitching in year 12.  He'll likely get dealt for a prospect.  

We can criticize the Arrieta/Strop deal, but MacFarland isn't the one to pick on.  Arrieta had plenty of chances here.  We need a SP.  We were competing.  He went to a non competitive team that could deal with more growing pains.  

• Upvote 1

Pillar is tearing up lefties this year.

His sprint speed is still high and he had a good arm. OAA has him -1. uZR/UZR150 have him just over 0.

Basically, he’s around league average defensively.

Would prefer better but that’s good enough.  He makes sense and will cost very little.

7 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

MacFarland was the better pitcher that year than Strop.  Heck, he was better than Arrieta that season.  Results matter and we were winning.  MacFarland is still pitching in year 12.  He'll likely get dealt for a prospect.  

We can criticize the Arrieta/Strop deal, but MacFarland isn't the one to pick on.  Arrieta had plenty of chances here.  We need a SP.  We were competing.  He went to a non competitive team that could deal with more growing pains.  

He was but wasn’t someone that people generally had high hopes for. I think that pen lacked options for most if not all arms. That was a big issue.

TJ to his credit has hung around a long time.