The 2024 Trade Deadline

From Passan article:

Los Angeles Angels: All out. A sneaky-busy team, the Angels are making available arguably the deadline's best reliever (Carlos Estevez), a controllable starter with a sub-3.00 ERA (Tyler Anderson), multiple outfielders (Taylor Ward and Kevin Pillar), a worthwhile reclamation project (Reid Detmers, who has generated interest from multiple teams) and a pair of veteran bullpen options (Luis Garcia and Hunter Strickland). The best of the bunch would be infielder Luis Rengifo, were he not on the injured list with a bum wrist -- but there's such little infield supply, teams may pony up plenty for him anyway. Ward was once thought to be an in-demand option, but he has been so bad since June 1 (.164/.281/.279) that some teams have soured on acquiring him. Even so, the Angels have the opportunity to bolster the worst farm system in baseball by moving any and all of the above.

Detmers is definitely someone we should be looking into, even if it’s just a long term move (although I think he can help this year even if it’s just as a reliever)

Orioles news in the Passan article:

Teams trying to thread the needle

Baltimore Orioles: Adding and subtracting -- with a chance to do something historic. You probably didn't expect to see the team that presently owns the best record in the AL here. The Orioles aren't in the previous tiers because their organizational approach and variety of discussions don't align with such a designation. Yes, Baltimore wants to complement its talented roster with impact players, and, yes, the Orioles, more than any team, have the young, controllable, position-playing depth to do so. They could get Crochet and Robert if they desired. They're more patience than blockbuster, though, and they land here due to their willingness to discuss moving veteran first baseman Ryan Mountcastle or center fielder Cedric Mullins. Maybe they do something big. Maybe they go small and bet on their superior talent. Maybe they make room for Coby Mayo or Jackson Holliday or both with a deal. Maybe they do all of it. The possibilities for Baltimore are endless.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/40617439/2024-mlb-trade-deadline-preview-passan-stars-teams-deal-garrett-crochet-luis-robert-yankees-dodgers-phillies

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Per usual, criticize the wording versus the idea. It could be Nick Sabean for all I care. The “Giants GM”. Whoever that is. 

The ideas are usually even easier to criticize.

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If the O's trade for him they will have to pay the reminder of the 15M for this year, the 17M signing bonus and then 30 million for next season with half of that deferred.

I don't see that happening.  That extra 17M is a kick in the nether regions.

It's an interesting idea though.  It depends on how motivated the Giants are to get rid of him versus see what he can do next year and how much salary the Orioles would be willing to take on.  I would imagine the Giants saw this as a one-year deal and would like to not be saddled with him next year.  The Orioles could use the 15M vacated by Burnes to absorb some of the salary but would certainly not be willing to eat the entirety of the contract.  It would be a sliding scale of more money from the Giants to more prospects from the Orioles.  

Hard to see them lining up but it'd be worth a conversation.

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If the O's trade for him they will have to pay the reminder of the 15M for this year, the 17M signing bonus and then 30 million for next season with half of that deferred.

That would be part of the negotiation of the trade.  Usually with trades, the trading team pays the signing bonus.. Pretty much zero chance that Elias pays like $55 million for a year and 2 months.

I don't believe the Giants will seriously consider dealing Snell.

On the timeline of several years, the story of the Giants has been their inability to get top players to take their money.     They had that one magic season, and hoped to use San Fran revenues to build on it.     No one until Snell took their money.     It would be a bad look to A list players to ship that guy out right away.

I think they will hope to get to try for Soto the same as they tried for Judge even if LAD-NYM-NYY-WSN are the top of Boras' speed dial.

35 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Welp good info. Thanks for breaking that down. 

Maybe that lowers the price from EBJ to Fabian. We’ll see if Papa Rubenstein really wants to spend. 

32 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

From Passan article:

Los Angeles Angels: All out. A sneaky-busy team, the Angels are making available arguably the deadline's best reliever (Carlos Estevez), a controllable starter with a sub-3.00 ERA (Tyler Anderson), multiple outfielders (Taylor Ward and Kevin Pillar), a worthwhile reclamation project (Reid Detmers, who has generated interest from multiple teams) and a pair of veteran bullpen options (Luis Garcia and Hunter Strickland). The best of the bunch would be infielder Luis Rengifo, were he not on the injured list with a bum wrist -- but there's such little infield supply, teams may pony up plenty for him anyway. Ward was once thought to be an in-demand option, but he has been so bad since June 1 (.164/.281/.279) that some teams have soured on acquiring him. Even so, the Angels have the opportunity to bolster the worst farm system in baseball by moving any and all of the above.

Detmers is definitely someone we should be looking into, even if it’s just a long term move (although I think he can help this year even if it’s just as a reliever)

This is the second time in as many days the idea of trading from the current position player group has been referenced. Passan seems to indicate he has heard they are open to this rather than an original thought.

makes me wonder if there is some smoke here.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Would the Os want to pay Tyler Anderson 13M next year?

I don't think they'd have a problem with it if that's the guy they like. That seems to be where they like to sit. $13 for Kimbrel, $15 for Burnes, $10 for Gibson, etc. 

42 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The signing bonus would most likely be paid by the Giants as they are the ones that signed him they just deferred that money to later on.  They will work out a deal for the amount of money each team pays which happens a lot with trades when they trying to offload some money.  No way the Giants would get anyone to pay the entire 55 million  but they could save maybe 30-35 million by trading and them eating 20 million or so to get him off their books.  

34 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Orioles news in the Passan article:

Teams trying to thread the needle

Baltimore Orioles: Adding and subtracting -- with a chance to do something historic. You probably didn't expect to see the team that presently owns the best record in the AL here. The Orioles aren't in the previous tiers because their organizational approach and variety of discussions don't align with such a designation. Yes, Baltimore wants to complement its talented roster with impact players, and, yes, the Orioles, more than any team, have the young, controllable, position-playing depth to do so. They could get Crochet and Robert if they desired. They're more patience than blockbuster, though, and they land here due to their willingness to discuss moving veteran first baseman Ryan Mountcastle or center fielder Cedric Mullins. Maybe they do something big. Maybe they go small and bet on their superior talent. Maybe they make room for Coby Mayo or Jackson Holliday or both with a deal. Maybe they do all of it. The possibilities for Baltimore are endless.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/40617439/2024-mlb-trade-deadline-preview-passan-stars-teams-deal-garrett-crochet-luis-robert-yankees-dodgers-phillies

Mountcastle in particular seems like the most likely to get dealt. Has never felt like the kind of skill set Elias values. Add to that not sure if he will ever be more valuable than he is right now. 

1 minute ago, bpilktree67 said:

The signing bonus would most likely be paid by the Giants as they are the ones that signed him they just deferred that money to later on.  They will work out a deal for the amount of money each team pays which happens a lot with trades when they trying to offload some money.  No way the Giants would get anyone to pay the entire 55 million  but they could save maybe 30-35 million by trading and them eating 20 million or so to get him off their books.  

Or it was a move by Boras and Snell to give him a poison pill to make him harder to trade.

8 minutes ago, casadeozo said:

Mountcastle in particular seems like the most likely to get dealt. Has never felt like the kind of skill set Elias values. Add to that not sure if he will ever be more valuable than he is right now. 

.516 OPS for July, but decently consistent the prior 3 months, so I doubt his rough July hinders any trade value. I also think teams see him as a victim of the Wall, though we've seen him get stumped by more than a few road-game warning tracks lately. 

He's a change of scenery guy for me and I think that's how a lot of teams view him. 

That said... he could put up an .850 OPS in August and really propel this team into the playoffs. But THAT said... would we even need him to? And therefore, he's a solid trade candidate. 

I think the tougher aspect is you better get something good for him or the clubhouse will take it pretty rough.

Edited by interloper

2 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

The issue with Snell being a 1 for 1 replacement for Burnes is that Snell is unlike Burnes is frequently injured. And he does not give you consistent length. He has two seasons with 180 IP and the rest he has never gone over 130 in a season.

Relying on a pitcher like Snell to be a #1 in this kind of rotation is very risky IMO. Who covers all the gap of innings (that are likely to occur next year) going from Burnes to Snell?

No one is going to replace Burnes 1 for 1 because he is  one of the best 3 pitchers in the game today.  So you either have to resign him for 6-7 years at 200-250 million and hope that contract get you 4 good years or you try to bring a guy that helps to lessen his loss and have other guys improve.  GRod should keep improving, Povich will most likely get better.  Then you should get Wells back middle of next season and Bradish at the end of the year.  If you strengthen the rotation and bullpen you don't need as strong a number 1.