The 2024 Trade Deadline

4 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Yes from me in a vacuum, but his contract makes him virtually untradeable and therefore not worth what it would take to get him.

I don't see the contract as an issue. He should exercise the opt out to go for a long term contract. He is signed for $32M this year but $17M was paid as a signing bonus. It should be just $6M or so.

There is the risk that he gets hurt and then exercises the option. But that should reduce the prospect cost that it takes to get him. We can mitigate the risk by signing him to a long term deal.

12 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I don't see the contract as an issue. He should exercise the opt out to go for a long term contract. He is signed for $32M this year but $17M was paid as a signing bonus. It should be just $6M or so.

There is the risk that he gets hurt and then exercises the option. But that should reduce the prospect cost that it takes to get him. We can mitigate the risk by signing him to a long term deal.

A healthy Snell exercises the opt-out.  An unhealthy Snell exercises the option after not giving the 2024 value he was expected to give and his current team is on the hook for $32 million in 2025.   He would have most of the leverage when negotiating an extension.  Presumeably the O's now have the resources to make this kind of play, but it doesn't strike me as Eliases kind of deal and I suspect Sig would have multiple strokes at the odds of success from a monetary standpoint.  Nonethess, I must say I'd love to have the current version of Snell pitching for the O's.

7 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Exactly….He’s going to catch a couple middling prospects if dealt. He he pitches like he did last night he opts out. If he doesn’t your stuck with a salary that you probably would prefer not to have. 

Maybe a couple middling prospects and a PTNL that can be nothing to a good prospect depending on the opt out and performance?

Weirdly this is ending up almost looking like a bridge year where we sell to buy, get all the young guys experience, and go for it again next year.

But we also have Burnes and Eflin, and Santander on a walk year who they won't trade so it's not like they are giving up. 

It's a calculated risk to kind of try and have it both ways. It's interesting. Elias needed the vets to buy time for Holliday and Mayo and make sure the team was solid, but now things have festered a little and it feels like he's under the gun to unload guys.

• Upvote 1

The young guys either need to play or be traded.  The vets have to be traded to make room for the young guys.  The young guys are a lot cheaper and more likely more productive than the vets over the next 3 seasons.  It makes sense trading the vets since the O's will not get much for them in the offseason.  The way the team is playing, they might as well risk the disruption to clubhouse chemistry and trade the vets if they can.  

33 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Still think Mountcastle for Woo makes a ton of sense.     Mullins doesn’t have a ton of value.

My other concern is having a lineup with so many rookies/young guys outside of Santander, but I guess it’s better for a shake up since this team is clearly in a funk.   Maybe a call up or two will be a spark 

4 minutes ago, Keygans said:

Still think Mountcastle for Woo makes a ton of sense.     Mullins doesn’t have a ton of value.

My other concern is having a lineup with so many rookies/young guys outside of Santander, but I guess it’s better for a shake up since this team is clearly in a funk.   Maybe a call up or two will be a spark 

I agree with your concern but also your thought that at this point the best option is to just pull the trigger on the youth movement. Nothing to lose at this point.