The 2024 Trade Deadline

10 minutes ago, e16bball said:

It’s not a popular idea here, but it’s one of the best options out there. 

Interestingly enough, right ahead of Tanner Scott in fWAR on that list from 2022-2024 is one Hunter Harvey. 

It could be Rizzo’s Jorge Lopez moment in a month or so — is he willing to do some self-inflicted damage to a fringy wild card run by selling a top reliever at the deadline to bring back more talent to bolster the Abrams/Wood/Crews timeline?

If the guys like Helsley, M. Miller, and Bednar aren’t going to be on the market, throwing a Lopez type package down the parkway to reunite Ryan Mountcastle with his best bud for the next 1.5 seasons might be among the best options.

Yes, Harvey and possibly Finnegan make sense.  If they decide to sell.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

2 to 3 months of Jack Flaherty for Norby plus what?

Didn’t someone mention that the word from the preseason Birdland Caravan was that Flaherty was not well liked in the clubhouse?

38 minutes ago, mrbig1 said:

Another story has the O's looking at Crochet SP of the White sox. He's only 24 and entering his prime.

Of course very intrigued by idea of Crochet being bullpen piece for 2H24 and then returning to SP for 25 and beyond.  But may take Kjerstad + Povich + another for WhiteSox to make a deal. 

6 minutes ago, Say O! said:

Of course very intrigued by idea of Crochet being bullpen piece for 2H24 and then returning to SP for 25 and beyond.  But may take Kjerstad + Povich + another for WhiteSox to make a deal. 

If the Orioles trade for Crochet it starts with Mayo/Basallo+. They aren't getting him for Kjerstad+.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Say O! said:

Norby for Finnegan?  I don’t see Helsley or Miller being available.

I would't pay too much for Finnegan. He's having a great season, but his FIP is 4.07 which is pretty in line with his career 4.21 FIP. Plus Finnegan's BABIP doesn't seem sustainable at .155.

It all depends what the Nats are asking.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Say O! said:

If we are making a big trade I would prefer to make it for a starter or for someone who is an established closer/dominant back end reliever.

Seems awful risky to me to make that kind of trade projecting someone (like Crochet) who has never done what you will need him to do (pitch this many innings, this late in the season, and still be dominant). And even if he solves the back end of the bullpen, IMO we still need a starter for the postseason.

3 minutes ago, Malike said:

If the Orioles trade for Crochet it starts with Mayo/Basallo+. They aren't getting him for Kjerstad+.

If we are giving up that level of package, I would rather get a guy who I know can start and pitch that deep into the season like Webb.

34 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Didn’t someone mention that the word from the preseason Birdland Caravan was that Flaherty was not well liked in the clubhouse?

Someone?  Who?  Were they in the clubhouse?

24 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

If we are giving up that level of package, I would rather get a guy who I know can start and pitch that deep into the season like Webb.

SFG are in an interesting position. They can't sign power hitters, because their park is where power hitters go to die, but they have a real need in acquiring some. I like Webb even though his statcast data is bad, but if we're giving up Mayo/Basallo I'd want it to be for a starter who strikes people out. Webb throws a lot of GB but I'm not very inspired by our IF defense this season, I'd rather have a guy who misses bats.

The Giants Rogers twins could be a fun get.    I assume baseball being family you couldn't split up the pair.

Yaz just hit the IL, and I've been hoping for Jorge Mateo to get an everyday SS opportunity there all year.

Hays and Mateo for the Rogers twins?

Brandon Hyde's favorite Robbie Ray now about 13.5 months past his TJ - he might be a factor this year same as we hope Bradish may get to be next year.