Norby and Vespi coming up?

Bird Lady

12 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Oh I missed the concussion thing. 

Yeah, Cedric viciously hit Mateo on the head with his bat. But the roster spot open is Mullins' not Mateo. Mullins is being charged with assault and battery. The story will become public soon...

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

That makes sense. When we called Vespi up for the DH it likely didn’t count. 

I’m guessing,

Norby up for Mateo on 7 day IL concussion list

Vespi up for one of Akin/Tate just to deload Akin a bit. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if it is Viera though. But I think we want to take a chance on that arm. Can we afford to?

Also, regarding the 5 options, looks like based on the MLB site glossary it's not the 5th option where you waive the player. It's "after" 5 options that you can no longer option them. So you must waive the player on the 6th optioning of the year: 

Only one Minor League option is used per season, regardless of how many times a player is optioned to and from the Minors over the course of a given season. (Players may only be optioned five times per season; after that, it requires outright assignment waivers to assign the player to the Minor Leagues.)

Posted (edited)

Norby is an interesting guy, and one that is usually included in writer (and poster) trade scenarios.  The guy can really hit.  If I recall correctly, it comes down to whether his defensive value as a COF or 2B merits a spot on the team.  It's just one play, but I saw that he made a great throw from RF to nab a runner at the plate.  So, that was promising to see.  Still, others can provide more insight than I, with @Tony-OH among them.

Edited by Greg Pappas

24 minutes ago, interloper said:

Hyde confirmed concussion protocol for Mateo yesteday, why is everyone asking about Mateo?

Being in the concussion protocol doesn’t mean you have a concussion.  It means you are undergoing mandatory testing for a concussion.  

We know this is happening, so I’m not posting this tweet for the news itself.

However, I find it interesting that one of the biggest national reporters tweeted this out. Yes, it probably doesn’t mean anything and I think it’s likely Norby barely sees the field and is sent down in a week or so BUT I do wonder if Passan has heard anything that could mean Norby is here longer.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Being in the concussion protocol doesn’t mean you have a concussion.  It means you are undergoing mandatory testing for a concussion.  

It's an automatic 7-day IL though, no? 

If Norby is coming up, I’m sure that means Mateo is going on the concussion IL unless there is some other injury that occurred that we do not know about.  

Is Westburg’s hand hurting after playing this weekend and they want to be careful?  That’s the only other thing that makes any sense unless something has occurred that we don’t know about.

I like Norby. He's hit well at Norfolk, and he runs well too. If he gets on base, he is a threat to steal. I think the Orioles want to see what they've got. If he plays reasonably well, he could be trade material. Elias and Hyde will give him some reps.He's earned it.But Holliday is starting to heat up again...sooner or later someone's going to play regularly in the infield for us...and it wont be Urias.

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

It's an automatic 7-day IL though, no? 

When a player is diagnosed with a concussion, he goes on the concussion-specific seven-day disabled list, meaning that he must sit out for at least seven days.

Going through the protocol doesn't equal being diagnosed with a concussion. I assume with Norby coming up that he has been diagnosed with one, though.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

If Norby is coming up, I’m sure that means Mateo is going on the concussion IL unless there is some other injury that occurred that we do not know about.  

Is Westburg’s hand hurting after playing this weekend and they want to be careful?  That’s the only other thing that makes any sense unless something has occurred that we don’t know about.

Again, Hyde uttered the words "concussion protocol" in his post-game press conference last night. That's an automatic 7-day IL.

It's Mateo! 

Sheesh. 

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Put Norby in the lineup tonight. I hope this concussion with Mateo doesn't linger we saw with Brian Roberts the effects of his concussion never really went away.

Same cause, too. Bat to the helmet. At least Mateo's wasn't self-inflicted...