Connor Norby 2024

3 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Here's the play. Agreed that he looks perfectly serviceable at 2nd. While in the minors both he and Westburg were reported to be defensively challenged, but I'd trust them over gold glove Urias right now. 

Maybe defense in the minors is highly scrutinized? Dunno. Norby and Westy look good. Kjerstad so far looks meh. Makes me wonder about Mayo.....

53 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

SSS alert.  But I hope it helps convince another team to give us something nice for Norby.

I hope somehow we get some needed reinforcements without giving up Norby. I think he is a keeper.I think he will be traded though, unfortunately.

Edited by Roy Firestone

1 minute ago, Roy Firestone said:

I hope somehow we get some needed reinforcements without giving up Norby. I think he is a keeper.I think he will be traded though, unfortunately.

We can't keep them all, Roy. We can't get better and keep Norby, Westburg, Kjerstad, Cowser, Mayo, Basallo and Holliday and I know you don't want to trade any of them. We aren't getting needle movers for Mullins or Urias.

6 minutes ago, Malike said:

We can't keep them all, Roy. We can't get better and keep Norby, Westburg, Kjerstad, Cowser, Mayo, Basallo and Holliday and I know you don't want to trade any of them. We aren't getting needle movers for Mullins or Urias.

id rather move Stowers, and Mullins and Urias, even Cowser, (though that would be drastic) than move any of the Big 4..I read where theres a rumour we'd move Kjerstad and Mayo for Crochet.I think it would be madness, and not likely to happen.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

id rather move Stowers, and Mullins and Urias, even Cowser, (though that would be drastic) than move any of the Big 4..I read where theres a rumour we'd move Kjerstad and Mayo for Crochet.I think it would be madness, and not likely to happen.

I think there is almost no chance that happens. I hope they keep Mayo, I'd rather trade Kjerstad than Cowser personally, although I like them both, but Mayo should be untouchable in my eyes.

5 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

I’ve been saying for months he’s going to be a star. I still feel that  way and seriously doubt he’s traded based on what we’ve seen Elias give up in deals. 

6 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The narrative that we must keep Ramon because Norby’s defense is so bad just got re-written. I don’t blame Ramon for yesterday. Errors happen.  That was Gunnar‘s mistake anyway. 

How? He didnt have to travel far, and came over and around the ball for a better angle than backpedaling. He wouldve been fine just letting Ramon take it as well, dont get be wrong. Regardless, he is the short stop. Its HIS ball 100/100 times if he calls for it. If you saw his post game interview he clearly said he called for it, and we had a member here who was sitting behind the SD dugout that heard him call for it as well. Its on Ramon to get the F outta the way.

Edited by terpoh
  • Upvote 3

6 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The narrative that we must keep Ramon because Norby’s defense is so bad just got re-written. I don’t blame Ramon for yesterday. Errors happen.  That was Gunnar‘s mistake anyway. 

I don't understand how you can think that was Gunnar's mistake. 

Norby certainly looks athletic enough to play 2B - seems like a very similar story to Westburg where his arm is not good (even worse than Westburg’s) and consistency presumably wasn’t there in the minors.

Norby would be a great bench guy as a righty bat with 2B/LF ability. I wonder if that is the Orioles’ long term plan with him and if they’re not as inclined to trade him as we might expect. But the long term issue is that Norby and Holliday both can’t play 3B. Means that to carry Norby, they need to have a fifth infielder to go with them and Gunnar/Westburg. If they don’t consider Mayo a viable option at 3B, they need to devote another bench spot to an infielder. 

But if two bench spots go to a backup CF and a backup C and the final bench spot needs to go to a backup infielder that can play 3B (and SS, if they don’t like Westburg/Holliday there), that means only one final bench spot for Norby or an extra bat like Stowers.and the Orioles have always been inclined to like having another lefty bat on the bench. Hard to make all the puzzle pieces fit together.

I expect Norby to be a little clunky out there based on reports. He seems to have every physical attribute to be an average to slightly above average MLB defender. His mistakes seem to be mental which you can understand being in the minors for a long period.