Wednesday, June 5: Orioles at Toronto

SteveA

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

Well, we came into the game the highest scoring team in the majors this year.

We had scored 3 runs or more in 13 straight games (averaging over 6 runs a game in that period).

And we had a rare bad night at the plate and lost a close one.

Sucks.

The hitting certainly took the night off unfortunately, but that 9th inning was a cluster F between Kimbrel and Hyde mismanaging.

Not a fan of burning closer in the 9th inning of a tied game, and Kimbrel isn't really a shut down type closure so whatever.

Kind of feels like Elias is going to punt on 2024, and still not figure out who we keep and who we trade?

Just now, SteveA said:

I would have walked IKF to set up a possible DP with the #9 hitter due.   And maybe the #9 hitter doesn't drive the ball as far.

Kiermaier is fast and not easy to double up, and Kimbrel doesn't throw many ground balls. Bottom line, if you can't put away a weak hitter IKF you're not a great closer.

Just now, dtk9119 said:

3 and a half back bc the Skanks don't go into an offensive deep freeze for periods 

Do we?   We had scored 3+ runs in 13 games in a row until tonight.

This is the first time in two weeks we only got 2.

Tonight was a rarity.   We are the highest scoring team in all of baseball this year.   Ahead of the Yankees.

1 minute ago, webbrick2010 said:

Not a fan of burning closer in the 9th inning of a tied game, and Kimbrel isn't really a shut down type closure so whatever.

Kind of feels like Elias is going to punt on 2024, and still not figure out who we keep and who we trade?

Elias is punting on 2024?  Can I nominate this for the dumbest post in the Game thread?

1 minute ago, webbrick2010 said:

LOL.   We are on a pace to win 100+ games.   But it "feels like Elias is going to punt"????

• Haha 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I guess the acc in your username doesn't stand for "accurate." I mean, it's a valid point that Cal was error prone then, with 25-26-26 errors in 1983-4-5. So why hyperbolize to "twice as many"? Gunnar's on pace for 24. (ugly loss overreaction alert): Ortiz gone, I'm on Griff O'Ferrall watch now. Or voting Mateo '25. Yes, even though Cal improved. Machado is the better comp.
    • This was a game a true ace has to win. He was paired against a struggling pitcher, and our "ace" hasn't been dominant in the last 3-4 starts. As I expected Burnes came up small even though the  line said he was only charged with one earned run(Ohtani's leadoff  first inning HR was another thing an "ace" doesnt give up).When Urias made a horrible error , an "ace" bears down and doesn't groove a pitch for a 3-run HR which was basically the game right there.Then tack on a terrible wild pitch in which the runner took TWO bases, another Henderson error on a routine play, and there you have it. Our Ace has given up 6 runs in all and there was little evidence he will be the dominating pitcher we saw in the first half of the season. I know the errors were the key to the game, but usually the great pitchers find a way to overcome the extra outs...and Burnes didnt do that.I know Eflin will return to the rotation in the Colorado series, and then two weeks later, Grayson. But if Burnes keeps pitching like this, it will be a very, very short post season. All and all a very disappointing performance from our so called "Ace",,and the defense was pitiful too. A winnable game...and a lost opportunity.
    • Burnes has been putting up close to a 9 ERA for a month and he has lost his ability figure his way out of trouble.  I don't know if he has a tired arm or mentally tired or something is wrong.  At this point, running him out there every 5th day for the same terrible results is stupid.
    • This has to be satire.
    • You're not kidding, wow! :   https://www.espn.com/mlb/recap/_/gameId/401570466
    • I apologize, I was a bit rude with the way I responded.  Anyways, I think you are looking at this the wrong way.  He's handed a 3-1 lead and got the first batter out in the 3rd.  Then Urias makes an error.  Then he implodes and gives up 4 runs.  Just cause they are unearned doesn't get him off the hook.  He turned a 1 out base runner into a 4 run inning.  This is your ace and he has been bad all month and he came up small again.  And he can't control the running game either, he allowed 4 SB.  Usually his inability to hold runners doesn't matter because he doesn't allow many base runners but that's not been the case this month and it is really hurting the team.  Later in the 5th inning he allowed a lead off hit from the #9 batter on a 0-2 count.  Next Ohtani singed a ball at 108 MPH but thankfully it was right at O'Hearn who dropped it and didn't turn the DP but still got an out.  That easily couldn't have been a double.  Eventually his inability to control the run game combined with Gunnar's error led to another run.  So I'm not saying it's all his fault, but just pointing out that just looking at his outing with the 5 unearned runs is not looking at the whole picture And btw, I am not closing the book on him this season because I still believe that he'll turn it around.  But it is frustrating to see him have another outing like this.  
    • 1-3 with an 8+ ERA in August. 45 baserunners allowed in 25.2 innings. If he's battling an injury then he needs to go on the IL. If he's healthy then this stretch is probably going to cost him several years and tens of millions of dollars on his next contract. 
  • Popular Contributors