Orioles Announcers calling the team Baltimore

Tony-OH

53 minutes ago, btownoriole said:

I've noticed it with Hollander but, given some of the history of the franchise shying away from its city identity, I like it. 

I noticed Ben Wagner said it a few times during the Rays series, but since he's new to the O's, it didn't bother me too much. Thankfully, I don't remember ever hearing Kevin Brown or Ben McDonald say it.

9 minutes ago, rm5678 said:

I noticed Ben Wagner said it a few times during the Rays series, but since he's new to the O's, it didn't bother me too much. Thankfully, I don't remember ever hearing Kevin Brown or Ben McDonald say it.

I’ve heard KB say it. 

3 hours ago, Surhoffan17 said:

You are not alone on this! I find it strange and have mostly heard it from Hollander. I thought maybe it was some weird directive. But then it wouldn't mostly be him if that were the case. It would be all announcers. 

I have heard DC fans call the Redskins (before the name change) "Washington" even though it was their team, but obviously that was politically driven. No controversy with the Orioles name to my knowledge!

I think a good portion of the affinity for "Washington Redskins" can be attributed to Frank Herzog whose famous line was "Touchdown Washington Redskins".  

8 minutes ago, SemperFi said:

I think a good portion of the affinity for "Washington Redskins" can be attributed to Frank Herzog whose famous line was "Touchdown Washington Redskins".  

In this case, it was just "Washington" being said. No Redskins. 

So the announcers ever refer to the team as “The Baltimores”? I kind of like it when a guy refers to “The Seattles” or “The Bostons” and “New Yorkers” is commonplace, of course.

I think the team should embrace Baltimore. Hopefully Rubenstein can have a beneficial effect on improving the city.

27 minutes ago, Surhoffan17 said:

In this case, it was just "Washington" being said. No Redskins. 

Well, Washington was literally the team name for a short while. And it was light-years better than what they came up with to replace it... but ya know, we're Americans so we need to have corny mascots that we can high five and take pictures with. Obviously I've no issues with 'Orioles', it's iconic and has a deep historical and ecological tie to the city/state. I just wish that some sports teams here in the US, when given the opportunity, would embrace the more city-centric identities that football/soccer clubs in Europe take. That said, I'd also not like for all team-related branding on the jersey to be replaced with sponsor ads as is standard practice in soccer.

1 hour ago, Philip said:

So the announcers ever refer to the team as “The Baltimores”? I kind of like it when a guy refers to “The Seattles” or “The Bostons” and “New Yorkers” is commonplace, of course.

I think the team should embrace Baltimore. Hopefully Rubenstein can have a beneficial effect on improving the city.

Way back in time teams didn't have official nicknames. Sometimes they picked them up, like the National League Chicagos were called the Colts, probably because of a stable of young players signed by Cap Anson. The papers were as likely to call teams the Bostons or the Baltimores as anything else. Or if there was more than one team/league in the area they might be called the Washington Nationals, since they were the NL team in Washington.

If you looked into the official legal documentation for the franchise it would just say something like the Cincinnati National League Baseball Club.

It was well into the 20th century before teams started making nicknames official, legal things. As late as the 1930s the Braves started calling themselves the Bees for some reason, and then switched back to Braves.

So I would kind of like it if people occasionally referred to them as the Baltimores or the Baltimore Nine or the Baltimore Americans just as a throwback reference to long ago eras.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

Well, Washington was literally the team name for a short while. And it was light-years better than what they came up with to replace it... but ya know, we're Americans so we need to have corny mascots that we can high five and take pictures with. Obviously I've no issues with 'Orioles', it's iconic and has a deep historical and ecological tie to the city/state. I just wish that some sports teams here in the US, when given the opportunity, would embrace the more city-centric identities that football/soccer clubs in Europe take. That said, I'd also not like for all team-related branding on the jersey to be replaced with sponsor ads as is standard practice in soccer.

Almost all soccer teams have their crest and colors on the jersey, but it's sometimes less obvious than the corporate logos.

Sometimes lower division teams have multiple corporate sponsors with ads on not only the jersey but also shorts and socks. But I don't mind, because that may be the difference between them staying afloat financially and not.

• Upvote 1

I don't mind it, but it is odd.  The O's or Orioles is our familiar nomenclature.  Baltimore is more formal and we're not formal. lol

I wonder if it's because it's being fed to MLB Network  or Sirius or something as a general call of the game - not like the team channel only.  Announcers in those situations tend to distribute the city names and club names pretty evenly throughout a broadcast.

By the way, I think Chuck Thompson would at least occasionally refer to the team as Baltimore.  It’s been a long time since he was in the booth, so I can’t say that with 100% certainty, but I’m pretty sure I recall that.