Maikol Hernandez: The classic example of Latin American Volatility

Tony-OH

2 minutes ago, NJOriolesFan said:

Remember when we all went nuts because we lost out on Victor Mesa?  Well we didn’t miss a whole lot there.

Once again it wasn't so much VVM in particular as it was the fact that they traded FOR International slots and then didn't use them.

VVM was just one of the only targets left.

Patience.  It is WAY too early to grade Perez and his signings.  The Dominican Complex just got completed this past winter.  Let's see where the organization stands in a couple of years and then make judgments.

On 6/19/2024 at 8:12 AM, btownoriole said:

Tony - given how woefully underinvested the O’s were before Elias, how are you assessing Perez to date?  He obviously was way behind the curve when he started, and it takes more time to develop international talent given the ages at which they’re signed, but it’s been 5 years and Basallo is the only big prospect to date.  Just feels like the O’s should be further along.  

I still think Perez is a doing a great job. The whole process can be a bit of a crapshoot and while there have certainly been big misses like Hernandez, finding a Basallo is a pretty big feather in the cap. DeLeon has looked good on the mound and was a low figure signee, and now Leandro Arias is starting to emerge. 

We're starting to see some more guys hitting better in the DSL which is good, but we know it really doesn't mean a ton until they can do it at Delmarva. That jump to Low-A has been an issue for many of the Latin American players that even hit well in DSL and FCL.

Thomas Sosa has been up and down but has talent and Aron Estrada, though not sure where he ends up playing, is starting to get it going at Delmarva.

Having the academy built should only help attract more players that want to get into the system. I still think the situation is looking up even knowing there are going to be many "high profile" misses like Hernandez.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Frobby said:

.741 OPS for the final 19 games of the year.   We’ll see if that’s enough to get another shot at Delmarva at age 21.

Slow bat, no power, poor defensive player. That .741 OPS included zero homers and three extra base hits in 82 PAs and was driven by an unsustainable .396 BABIP.

image.png.1e0dfdfe7d346e7e15d6214d11ff61f0.png

Now he was 20-years old and the Orioles invested a decent amount money in him, so he very well may get an opportunity to play again next year. Especially since it's not like there is anyone knocking on the door from the FCL. But he's not a prospect.

On 6/20/2024 at 12:23 PM, Tony-OH said:

I still think Perez is a doing a great job. The whole process can be a bit of a crapshoot and while there have certainly been big misses like Hernandez, finding a Basallo is a pretty big feather in the cap. DeLeon has looked good on the mound and was a low figure signee, and now Leandro Arias is starting to emerge. 

We're starting to see some more guys hitting better in the DSL which is good, but we know it really doesn't mean a ton until they can do it at Delmarva. That jump to Low-A has been an issue for many of the Latin American players that even hit well in DSL and FCL.

Thomas Sosa has been up and down but has talent and Aron Estrada, though not sure where he ends up playing, is starting to get it going at Delmarva.

Having the academy built should only help attract more players that want to get into the system. I still think the situation is looking up even knowing there are going to be many "high profile" misses like Hernandez.

You might need to threw Braylin Tavera in this pile. Before the season, a few were hoping he make the org top 10. 
Showed almost no power (1 HR) and hitting around .100. 

59 minutes ago, Chaka Garcia said:

You might need to threw Braylin Tavera in this pile. Before the season, a few were hoping he make the org top 10. 
Showed almost no power (1 HR) and hitting around .100. 

Tavera has been out of my top 40 for awhile now. 

When I think back to when my son was 13-14 years old, he played with and against some very good kids. I can remember 2-3 who really stood out as outstanding ball players. I say this because I can't imagine how hard it must be to know whether a 14 yo is worth investing $1-2 Millon on his baseball future. Hats off to Koby Perez.