Why not Chayce McDermott?

sportsfan8703

35 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Sure, but the OP suggests McDermott as a starter.  If you’ll notice, it allows Suarez to go back to the bullpen.

I'm fine with trying that, too. Suarez had a nice run, but he's not a ML SP. He's a reliever. So, sure, let's try that. 

I'm pretty open to anything at this point. Things are looking pretty dire for the pitching staff overall. People are still saying that's an overreaction, but I'm not sure that it is when you look at the staff as a whole. 

24 minutes ago, Philip said:

Tanner Scott’s BB rate is 6.3/9. I personally don’t think we should call up Mcdermott yet(if only to avoid Kevin Brown making an infinity of “Chayce” puns) but if we don’t want McDermott, why do we want Scott?

Because Scott has a proven track record of success in the big leagues facing big league hitters in big moments. If he walks a guy in each of his outings, so be it. He'll probably strike out the side in the process. 

31 minutes ago, interloper said:

Because Scott has a proven track record of success in the big leagues facing big league hitters in big moments. If he walks a guy in each of his outings, so be it. He'll probably strike out the side in the process. 

I looked at Scott’s BBR page and last year he walked 2.8/9, but that’s his only reasonable BB year. He has a track record, but it’s not the kind of thing you want to send into the ninth inning up by one run.

That said, I don’t particularly care about McDermott, although I do think we should wait, and instead try to find somebody who’s not quite so generous.

1 hour ago, Philip said:

Tanner Scott’s BB rate is 6.3/9. I personally don’t think we should call up Mcdermott yet(if only to avoid Kevin Brown making an infinity of “Chayce” puns) but if we don’t want McDermott, why do we want Scott?

I'm not sold on Tanner Scott. If this was 2023 Scott? Sign me up. But that walk rate is incredibly alarming. Especially in a stronger league and division. Scott's BABIP is also unsustainable and his FIP speaks volumes, too. I still think Scott is very good. Certainly better than most if not everybody in the O's bullpen, but I'd rather Helsley. 

McDermott has pitched parts of 6 months in AAA.  Here is the monthly WHIP breakdown,

August 23' 25.2 IP 1.05 WHIP

September 23' 12 IP 0.75 WHIP

March 24' 4.1 IP 1.38 WHIP

April 24' 17 IP 2.06 WHIP

May 24' 25.2 IP 1.25 WHIP

June 24' 23.1 IP 1.29 IP

That April 2024 WHIP really skews the numbers.  

• Upvote 2

I know it seems counterintuitive to go to a six man rotation when we might not have 5 SP, but we’re seeing the reason that we tried to do the 6 man rotation with the Povich promotion before Bradish’s injury. 

I say promote McDermott. Go to a 6 man rotation. That will help the other 5 SP. Replace one of Suarez/McDermott when Kremer comes back in 10ish days. 

On 6/24/2024 at 7:00 AM, Greg Pappas said:

You cannot bring up McDermott (25 years old) and discuss his one great quality and act like you have no idea why he hasn't been recalled.  One look at his numbers shows you plenty.

He has thrown 70.1 IP, making 14 starts. That's 5 IP/start.  3.84 ERA, 1.464 WHIP, 5.5 BB/9, 12.9 K/9.  He has issues walking too many batters.  So, while he strikes out batters at a great rate, he also walks far too many, raising his AAA WHIP to 1.464.  That does not project well to the majors.

It’s funny that people are wanting to bring back Tanner Scott and his 6.1 walk rate, but balking at McDermott and his 5.5 walk rate.

I’m leery of McDermott too, but as they say, “any port in a storm,” so no reason not to give him a try.

8 minutes ago, Philip said:

It’s funny that people are wanting to bring back Tanner Scott and his 6.1 walk rate, but balking at McDermott and his 5.5 walk rate.

I’m leery of McDermott too, but as they say, “any port in a storm,” so no reason not to give him a try.

I'm not an advocate of Scott, but I get your point.  I'd be okay with seeing him in the pen... you never know... he may just 'click' in the role.

36 minutes ago, Philip said:

Elias has been here for almost 5 years.   Is there ANYTHING in his history to think that he would use that logic to bring up a prospect?   He brings guys up when he thinks they can contribute and not a moment sooner.   There is NOTHING I have seen him do to think he would ever say, well, let's just give this a try because things aren't going well.

If you expect him to run the team with that logic, or believe he should, you are simply just going to be disappointed.

We are still on pace to win 100 games, he is not going to overreact to a bad 0-5 stretch that comes right after a great 20-7 stretch and say, well, we have to do SOMETHING, might as well give McDermott a try.   He will bring up McDermott when he thinks the time is right in McDermott's development, and no sooner.

I'm sorry but who cares about his walk rate. We are using Bryan Baker. We are using Suarez as a starter. We are using Vespi. We are not in a position to nitpick the guy's walk rate. 

For god's sake, call up someone who has some upside. It's not like he's going to do much worse than what we have right now. And he might just go nuts out of the bullpen. 

Edited by interloper

Just now, interloper said:

I'm sorry but who cares about his walk rate. We are using Bryan Baker. We are using Suarez as a starter. We are using Vespi. We are not in a position to nitpick the guy's walk rate. 

For god's sake, call up someone who has some upside. It's not like he's going to do much worse than what we have right now. And he might just go nuts out of the bullpen. 

I agree with those who say he probably needs to figure it out in Norfolk, however, they could bring also bring him up for a look when any of Baker, Tate, or Vespi reboard the shuttle. Maybe Povich had earned the call up, whereas they don't think McDermott has done that, but bringing him up as a temporary move couldn't hurt too much for the aforementioned pitchers.

5 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I know it seems counterintuitive to go to a six man rotation when we might not have 5 SP, but we’re seeing the reason that we tried to do the 6 man rotation with the Povich promotion before Bradish’s injury. 

I say promote McDermott. Go to a 6 man rotation. That will help the other 5 SP. Replace one of Suarez/McDermott when Kremer comes back in 10ish days. 

Evidence? There's not enough data to support the idea that a six-man rotation does anything more than give an extra day of rest to guys who should pitch more, not less. And I can arguably make the case that a four-man rotation was more successful back in the day AND there were less major arm injuries. I know I'm probably in the minority here, but that just means a lot of you are wrong!