1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

Doughty looks interesting and should be there. Elias team likes spin rate and he has a 3000 rpm with his Curveball and 97 MPH heater.

What’s the highest they’ve drafted a HS pitcher?   That would be a huge surprise.

4 hours ago, OsFanInOhio said:

Haven’t seen Benge there at 22 lately, but I’d take him. Gillen too. Not especially interested in morlando at 22. 

It would be nice to have a college player fall to us. Last year’s bats of EBJ, Horvath, and Josenberger, haven’t looked great so far. Etzel is carrying the class. Wagner from the previous draft is under performing a bit too. 

This is the weakest we’ve been position player wise in a long time. Probably since Elias took over. Of course only looking at A+ and below. 

I really like Brody Brecht.  If he is there when the O's pick, I really hope he is the choice. He adds an element to the Os system that is currently lacking, imo. 

If the Os can help him with his command and control, he could be a special pitcher. Very high risk, very high reward

2 hours ago, cnmilton said:

I really like Brody Brecht.  If he is there when the O's pick, I really hope he is the choice. He adds an element to the Os system that is currently lacking, imo. 

If the Os can help him with his command and control, he could be a special pitcher. Very high risk, very high reward

Agreed but I think he’s gone.

3 hours ago, cnmilton said:

Who have we been able to help with their control tho? Cano is the only example I can think of. Hall? Not really, at least not enough to start. McDermott? Povich? Still walking too many guys. 

16 hours ago, OsFanInOhio said:

Who have we been able to help with their control tho? Cano is the only example I can think of. Hall? Not really, at least not enough to start. McDermott? Povich? Still walking too many guys. 

Bautista had a BB/9 of 9 as recently as 2019.

1 hour ago, OsFanInOhio said:

Fair. But he was also a reliever to begin with. We haven’t been able to do it with a single starter. 

Grayson went from a 3.45 BB/9 in A ball to 2.73 in the MLB.

All of this is anecdotal.  But I trust the development staff.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• The edit I would make is for it to be anonymous, and allow you to change your vote. Scherzer is scheduled to start on Th. If he has another 5 IP 2ER or less start then he probably prices himself out of McDermott.  Things to consider from Texas’ perspective, - They’re in the same boat as us going forward.  They need depth, but with their position group, they need pitchers that would have playoff start upside. - As defending champs with a ton of unfortunate injuries, they might stand pat if they get within 4-5 GB of the playoffs.  Heck, maybe they pull an Angels and buy.  I heard Jung is coming back soon.  
    • Same. That's a guy I want taking ABs in the playoffs. 
    • I don't see why both wouldn't be great to add. It's not like the Orioles HoF is some hallowed institution. Let em all in, it's fun, who cares.
    • You get a 26 man roster in the playoffs no matter if it’s for a best of 3, 5, or 7 man series. So as far as position players available you’d have, 3 game series - 15 5 games series - 14 7 game series - 14 My 5/7 game series roster of 14 position players would look like this, vs RHP 1. Gunnar SS L 2. Adley C S 3. Santa RF S 4. O’Hearn DH L 5. Mountcastle 1B R 6. Kjerstad LF L 7. Westburg 3B R 8. Mullins CF L 9. Mateo 2B R McCann, Cowser, Urias, Mayo, EBJ - Holliday could beat out Urias, maybe even start over Mateo. He’s got a chance. - Mayo could beat out Mountcastle, or he could bump Westburg to 2B. - EBJ is our Terrance Gore for this postseason. 
    • Any player can be traded in the offseason. During this season, I would not subtract much from the MLB 26 man roster. The chemistry of this team is such a big part of how they win. Urias, Kjerstad and several pen arms could go, depending on the return.  Urias probably has to go so Mayo can come up. Let Westburg focus on 2B. I think Kjerstad is going to go in a deal. I don’t think he is an integral part of this team. Very good hitter and a better fielder than some think.  I think Norby and Stowers are quite available. I think McDermott and Povich could be had, but we would have to get big arms back so that we have decent pitching depth. Any prospect other than Holliday and Mayo could go at the deadline. Basallo is not untouchable for me, but it would have to be a tremendous deal that makes us WS favorites and controllable assets for years after. Perhaps a Garrett Crochet type deal. We need at least two reliable legitimate back end pen arms, one who can close sometimes is a must. Kimbrel is no longer good back to back. More legitimate depth would also let Cano and Webb not pitch in every close game.  We need a legit playoff SP, a #2 type. If you “all-in,” then you need to upgrade the pen and rotation dramatically. It will be costly though. 
    • It's a good one for sure. I still haven't voted because I still can't decide.  It's tough!  I think I lean no because I have a feeling Scherzer can be had for less, or for multiple lesser guys. McDermott is a guy who could be crucial to the pitching staff late in the year a la Hall. 
  • Popular Contributors