5 losses in a row. Baltimore...we have a problem. Thread revisit...O's have no way to win the WS unless...

OnlyOneOriole

I believe this is truly the "all in " year...not next year or the year after. After this year, it's conceivable we could lose Burnes, and Santander, and that would mean two of the best and(among) the most important players on the team. No Burnes(he'll command at least 30 million a year and likely more) would maybe give us ONE solid pitcher in Grod, and our outfield will be in flux. No, I think THIS is the year the Orioles have to win, and that means some dramatic, possibly risky trades at the break yield some significant upgrades to our beleaguered pitching both with starters and the pen. If we don't get it this year, we may never have a potential post season team in the next couple of years..not at this rate.

15 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

I believe this is truly the "all in " year...not next year or the year after. After this year, it's conceivable we could lose Burnes, and Santander, and that would mean two of the best and(among) the most important players on the team. No Burnes(he'll command at least 30 million a year and likely more) would maybe give us ONE solid pitcher in Grod, and our outfield will be in flux. No, I think THIS is the year the Orioles have to win, and that means some dramatic, possibly risky trades at the break yield some significant upgrades to our beleaguered pitching both with starters and the pen. If we don't get it this year, we may never have a potential post season team in the next couple of years..not at this rate.

I think the beauty of this team's forecast is that there doesn't have to be one "all in" year. At least not yet. 

Corbin Burnes is a difference maker. But so is Felix Bautista. One or two of the Holliday/Mayo/Basallo trio may be, too.

• Upvote 1

The Moose hits it!!!! Anyone who sets up their expectations to world series or bust needs good strong blood pressure meds. The year we win it will probably be a year we didn't expect. I'm enjoying the O's are relavent again after way to many years in the wilderness. Get to the dance and take your chances. That's my moto.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

There never is going to be an “all in” year.   Elias made the mostly in move by getting Burnes and then the baseball gods decided to cut down Bradish, Means, and Wells.  Coulombe too.  The Dodgers are “all in” every single year.  1 WS trophy in a shortened season.

Elias is going to make some moves but he’s not dipping into the top 3 prospects and maybe not even Kjerstad.   You can’t make a habit of trading guys with 6+ years of control for players with minimal amounts of control. 

Yeah, this was the Burnes year and we got some bad luck.  Maybe we can still piece it together but Elias is only going to do that up to a point.

As far as next year, who knows.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

If "all in" means there's a legit chance to win a championship... this is "an" all in year, but it certainly won't be the only one.  Elias is not going to sell off half the farm out of desperation, nor should he.   He really needs to add more pitching though, which we all know and which has been true since the beginning of last season.  It will be true next year and probably every year.  In this regard, I'm not thrilled with his efforts to date but there's another huge opportunity in front of him right now.  The Orioles really have to start developing and paying for more pitching going forward because the bats are here and ready.

8 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

So every time we lose a game we must trade one of our big 3 and sign a rapist?

It’s a 162 game season bud. Act like you’ve been here before. 

How many times can I say this?  

I am not concerned about a 4 or 5 game losing streak in a vacuum.  EVERY team goes through that.   It is just part of the randomness of a 162 game schedule.  

I am VERY concerned about a pitching staff that has been decimated by injuries going back to last fall, and the long term effects that has on the team for not only this year, but next as well.   

IF this team had a 5 game losing streak and still had Felix and Bradish and Means and Wells etc?   Again while I dislike 5 game losing streaks for our beloved O's, it happens.  But combine these 5 games with a much more important LONGER TERM OUTLOOK CONCERNING THE STATE OF OUR PITCHING AND WHO WE HAVE TO REPLACE THOSE INJURED PLAYERS?

It is very concerning. 

5 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

I am hopeful that the Os have enough talent to possibly replace guys like AS, or better yet just resign him.  Burnes I agree is most likely gone.  So while I do think the Os did go ALL IN this year to some degree, I am a little more positive than you on the future after this year.

I do agree that some major trades are going to be needed though to have any chance this year and next.   Hence why I made this thread.  Especially if we lose Burnes.   You just can't lose the quality of pitching that we have since last fall and think that your team has the same chances as it did before to win a WS.

We didn't just get hurt with injuries.  We got absolutely demolished. 

1 minute ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I am hopeful that the Os have enough talent to possibly replace guys like AS, or better yet just resign him

Why? Don't get me wrong, he's been productive, but we have ML ready guys at Norfolk who can play the OF. Santander is a Rule 5 guy from who they've received plenty of mileage. He won't be cheap in the off season either if he continues to produce. Thank him and move on.

They'll need that money to buy an arm.

15 hours ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Remember what my thread was about?

Did they win the WS last year?  Or even a playoff series? 

I will wait for the answer....

Oh get real man. You said that they probably wouldn't even make the playoffs at a time when that was a nearly a statistical impossibility. You were right about nothing.

15 hours ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Really?   Who has been touting GH since last year as possibly being one of the greatest players of all time?  I have.  I believe I recall a post from you recently poo pooing him. 

I have defended Colton Cowser and Heston and others as well.  But i will call it like I see it.  If I see players that suck imo?  I call it out. 

And I put my money where my mouth is.  I actually bet the Os.  What do you do but mouth off on here?  Acting like the internet police.  

I bet the Os in specific games to win probably 100 times a year.  At least $300  a game.  Already 50 times this year. 

I have a $5000 bet on them to win the division at 3 to 1 this year.

$2500 on them to win the ALCS at 5 to 1.

$1000 on them to win the WS at 7 to 1.

Also Gunnar to win MVP at 15 to 1 for $400.

What have you done?

• Major Leaguer Cup of Coffee

$1000 on them to win the WS at 7 to 1.

Also Gunnar to win MVP at 15 to 1 for $400.

Again....if you are such an Os fan....show me.  Don't just mouth off. 

•  

Well now we have an answer as to why it's such a big deal everytime the O's lose. You're losing a bet dude.  You know as being a bettor that if you bet a team 162, you gotta ride the ups and downs.  

If you've bet us the last two years every game you're up a ton of money.  

18 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Why? Don't get me wrong, he's been productive, but we have ML ready guys at Norfolk who can play the OF. Santander is a Rule 5 guy from who they've received plenty of mileage. He won't be cheap in the off season either if he continues to produce. Thank him and move on.

They'll need that money to buy an arm.

I thought the same as you up until recently after all the pitching injuries.   He isn't going to cost THAT much comparatively.  We still have a super low payroll even if we do sign him.  It isn't our money.   He is a pretty steady influence on the team.  Sign him for 3 years and he is still only 32 when the contract ends.  I don't see anything wrong with that.

But most importantly, the guys that I thought might replace AS next year, like Heston for example? IMO need to be used to trade for something much more important.....pitching.