Skubal trade..Kjerstad, Mountcastle, McDermott and Bradfield?

Sports Guy

Skubal trade  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Would you trade Kjerstad, Mountcastle, Bradfield and McDermott for Skubal?

7 minutes ago, interloper said:

I think you could easily do this with Kjerstad, McDermott, and a throw in. Urias or Cook or some international guy.

You think two 25-year-old AAA all-stars plus a throw-in easily get you 2.5 seasons of arguably the best pitcher in baseball?

Hopefully that will easily get done before first pitch today then.

Edited by e16bball
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, e16bball said:

You think two 25-year-old AAA all-stars plus a throw-in easily get you 2.5 seasons of arguably the best pitcher in baseball?

Hopefully that will easily get done before first pitch today then.

Yeah, I don't get it. Skubal hasn't just been good this year. He would absolutely command something like Mayo, Kjerstad, and McDermott and probably a throw-in. The Tigers are not in full rebuild mode. We undervalue pretty much every top-flight established talent and think our lesser prospects or ML guys who aren't really established are enough to acquire them. You hardly ever see the Cy Young favorite traded in season, and if it happens, it's not for spare change.

9 minutes ago, interloper said:

I think you could easily do this with Kjerstad, McDermott, and a throw in. Urias or Cook or some international guy.

It might take more than that. The Reds got Noelvi (MLB top 20) plus a top 100 prospect for 1.5 years of Castillo. I think we would need a stronger package for 2.5 years of a guy like Skubal. 

13 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

The Tigers are not the White Sox.   Skubal isn’t available unless it’s a massive  overpay.   Crochet is available.   That’s the guy we should be talking about.

Right, and the kicker is the package here for Skubal is a lesser one offered for Crochet.

14 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

The Tigers are not the White Sox.   Skubal isn’t available unless it’s a massive  overpay.   Crochet is available.   That’s the guy we should be talking about.

To be fair, Burnes wasn’t available all offseason either…until the trade was announced out of nowhere. Letting everyone know you’re shopping the best pitcher on your staff isn’t always a good business strategy. 

1 minute ago, Malike said:

Right, and the kicker is the package here for Skubal is a lesser one offered for Crochet.

Right.  If the Tigers are trading Skubal, what in the world do they want with Ryan Mountcastle?    The whole thing makes no sense.

1 minute ago, CTBear said:

To be fair, Burnes wasn’t available all offseason either…until the trade was announced out of nowhere. Letting everyone know you’re shopping the best pitcher on your staff isn’t always a good business strategy. 

If Burnes had 2.5 years of control left we'd still have Joey Ortiz and DL Hall and he'd be pitching somewhere else.

1 minute ago, CTBear said:

Burnes was, then he wasn’t, then he was.   But the idea was floated out there because he was in his walk year and the Brewers had to decide whether to hold him or not.   I don’t see the Tigers in that position which is why I think it would take a massive overpay.   I think the Tigers see themselves as close to being playoff contenders.   I don’t see them trading their ace unless it an offer the can’t refuse and, frankly, I haven’t seen anything close to that kind of offer.    

55 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

If Detroit is smart they say no. They are in no position to add established MLers at this stage in their rebuild. They need prospects. Mountcastle shouldn't interest them. Substitute Norby and Povich for Mountcastle and they might talk with you. That's a ton to give up but pitching, especially controllable starting pitch, is really expensive at the deadline.

I agree that a rebuilding team has no use for Mountcastle and that we should substitute prospects to make the trade more appealing for Detroit.  But I wouldn't make the trade if we had to include Povich.  

• Upvote 1

McDermott is the sticking point for me. I do not think it wise to trade an arm that is on the verge of being able to help this team this year. I could imagine him coming up and coming out of the pen for us in a role similar to DL Hall last year. He has swing and miss stuff.

The rest of the package is fine with me. Maybe the other three with two lower level arms (not named De Leon) in a 5 for 1. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Three Run Homer said:

I agree that a rebuilding team has no use for Mountcastle and that we should substitute prospects to make the trade more appealing for Detroit.  But I wouldn't make the trade if we had to include Povich.  

I don't think Detroit sees themselves as rebuilding. They need some pieces and they are free from the bad contracts they had, but they certainly don't need to trade arguably the best pitcher in the AL who they have for 2 more years after this one to get better. If they trade anyone it will be Flaherty if his back proves to be healthy.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

McDermott is the sticking point for me. I do not think it wise to trade an arm that is on the verge of being able to help this team this year. I could imagine him coming up and coming out of the pen for us in a role similar to DL Hall last year. He has swing and miss stuff.

The rest of the package is fine with me. Maybe the other three with two lower level arms (not named De Leon) in a 5 for 1. 

You would pass on that package for Skubal because of McDermott?    Either you think he can be a #2 or #3 pitcher pretty quickly or I don’t know.