Holliday, Mayo or Basallo

Pick one  

104 members have voted

1. 1. If you could acquire a player you wanted and you had to trade one of the big 3 prospects, who do you choose?

20 minutes ago, JimGinSP said:

Henderson goes to center?   If that’s what you are suggesting I felt more comfortable with that scenario in April.  Henderson is now a legitimate MVP candidate.  Playing a premium position.  Represented by Scott Boras.   That’s a lot of discussion.

Mayo goes to first and/or RF.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

I’ll admit it.  The ML 10 game audition sticks in my mind. 

1.  You can’t teach size

2. The leg kick bailing out thing still bothers me

3.  Mayo and Basallo look like middle order mashers

My biggest hesitation is that if Mayo is too error prone at 3B then we have a hole in the IF.

He's 6 foot, he's taller than the number 2 and 6 all time home run leaders; What size does a second basemen need to be these days?????  

I picked Mayo but on second thought I think I'd go Holliday. I absolutely do not want to trade Basallo. The potential of having all 162 games/at bats of your catcher (+Adley) with an 800+ OPS is too tantalizing. Mayo being a RH and basically positionless is why I picked him originally, but Holliday seems to mostly cross off boxes we already have. That plus the Boras/extension future problem... yea 

I would trade Holliday.

To flip this, who do you think team's would ask for first if given the choice between the three?

I understand their need would play into the one they chose.

Without considering need, I would choose Mayo.

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think the answer depends not only on talent, but where you see that talent fitting on this particular team.  For example, if we didn’t have Gunnar and Westburg, I don’t think you’d even dream about trading Holliday.   But since we do, trading Holliday is feasible.   And I think he’s the one I’d trade, for a couple of reasons:

1.  He’s the highest ranked of the three, and would bring back the most in a trade.

2.  The fact that Mayo is right-handed has a lot of value to us because our top younger guys are LH-heavy.  

3.  Basallo probably will end up four years behind Adley service-time wise, and gives us great flexibility to use them as a tandem, or trade Adley at some point, or just ride with Adley in through his Arb years and then hand the primary catcher gig to Basallo.  He’s also very capable at 1B, not something I’m sure I can say about Mayo at this point.   

I’d hate to trade any of the three, but that’s my current thinking.   

Skubal is the one guy that makes me think. We’d get him for 3 postseasons. That could be 4-5 starts a postseason for 3 seasons. Plus, added value that he’d be here during the Adley/Gunnar Arb system years. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

In order of preference to trade:

• Mayo
  • Basallo
  • Holliday

Mayo is going to be a big time power hitter, but his defense just isn't where it needs to be. Maybe 1B eventually, but the Orioles just don't value 1B as a defensive position. They'd rather coach people up to it (see: Santander, Urias, etc.) or bring it outsiders (O'Hearn).

Basallo I'm very high on. I have no idea about how his size and defense will play in the long run at C. His future might very well be a power hitting, LHH 1B/DH. But if C is in play, that is super powerful for this organization because you can rotate Adley and Basallo at C, and play Basallo at 1B when he's not catching.

Holliday is special, SSS in the majors be damned. His ceiling is SS, but that is going to be at odds w/ Gunnar, so 2B it is. But the speed is there. I can easily see Holliday being a 20/20 or a 30/30 guy year in and year out w/ an exceptional eye/patience. That is incredibly valuable. And he's only 20. 

There isn't a sizable gap between Holliday and Basallo for me on how special they both are, just so we're clear.

I chose Basallo because he is the furthest from the majors. I also have my doubts that he’ll be a full time catcher which makes him a potential 1B/DH. I think Mayo also ends up a 1B/DH and between the two I definitely go Mayo.

It’s surprising how quick people move on from prospects after a slow start. It felt like everyone (including myself) had Cowser heading their pretend trade packages over the offseason. Now we have a decent amount of votes to trade one of the best prospects in the game due to a bad showing in their first taste of MLB? You gotta keep Holliday.

Mayo - RHH MOO are in short supply in the org.  Canon arm, but does it play at 3B?  1B is plan B apparently.  Raising the ceiling with a balanced/deep power hitting corp, he's the guy to keep.  Maybe a factor as soon as this fall.  I don't see how you trade him now.

Basallo - LHH MOO C, signable?, and extends the plus hitting C advantage a few years. Receiving work needed but ABS may help.  Keeping the window open the longest, he's the guy to keep.  If you're maximizing 2024 value, he's the guy to trade (aka the Twitterverse).

Holliday - guess he's the guy I trade...  We're deep with LHH.  2B defense ceiling (I just don't see SS happening, even without Gunnar).  But we have a near All-Star in Westburg, even if Holliday's projected OBP would be awesome at the top.  Agree that he's the least likely to sign an extension. 

Tough hypothetical...

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

I'd go with Holliday...simply because an infield of Mayo at 3rd, Gunnar at SS and Westburg at 2nd is a really, really good infield.  And if Mayo ends up at first, Westburg can go back to third.

Interesting thought exercise though.

If Mayo ends up at first, who is your second baseman?