Fedde Trade

RZNJ

Fedde Trade  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Would you trade (Connor Norby or Dylan Beavers) + Jackson Baumeister for Eric Fedde

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 07/30/24 at 17:29

Sometimes poster, Chicago White Sox, said he’d be happy with this return for Fedde.    If this was a take it or leave it offer on July 30 would you do it?    Is it fair?

It's right on the edge for me, which probably means it's a realistic scenario.  Baumeister shows potential and is our highest pitching draft pick in several years, which is the hard part for me.  Giving up Beavers or Norby is not as hard.  Would prefer to give up Beavers AND Norby, to be honest.  

Just now, Three Run Homer said:

It's right on the edge for me, which probably means it's a realistic scenario.  Baumeister shows potential and is our highest pitching draft pick in several years, which is the hard part for me.  Giving up Beavers or Norby is not as hard.  Would prefer to give up Beavers AND Norby, to be honest.  

I should say that I do like Fedde--I think he used his time overseas to add some new wrinkles and I think his current performance is sustainable for the rest of this season and the next.  I'd be happy if he was our number 3 starter in a playoff series and he would help us bridge the loss of Bradish for next season.  

I wouldn't be mad if these are the types of prospects we use to acquire pitching at the deadline but I would prefer these types are used to get Scherzer.  Fedde seems like a good guy to have for the second half but I don't get real excited about him moving the needle in the post season like I think Scherzer could. 

I’m having trouble erasing from my memory the largely poor years Fedde had with the Nats.  Being a Washington Post subscriber I was well aware of how disappointing he was in DC.  It seems like he learned a few things in Korea but I’m worried that his good half-season will prove illusory.   

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Allan Bryant said:

I said yes but ………..only after Elias went through most other starters and missed 

Same. I said yes, if it came down to it. I'd hope Elias could do better, though.

But no question, Fedde helps this team right now. 

• Upvote 1

Fedde (31) performed very poorly in his career until this half season.  He spent this past year in the KBO (South Korea) and learned to throw differently than in the past... to work on his craft.  He also added a new pitch, a sweeper.  He threw a career high 180.1 IP this past season, besting his previous high of 133.1 IP.  Through 18 starts and 106.1 IP, Fedde has a 3.13 ERA, 3.59 FIP.  He also has a 1.129 WHIP, 2.4 BB/9 and 8.0 K/9.  He has continued to tinker with his pitch mix whenever he sees signs that a particular pitch has been less effective.  He seems like a bright guy and is signed relatively cheap through next season (a 2 year deal at $7.5m per season.)  Will the bloom come off the rose or has Fedde made enough changes to stay consistently good moving forward?  Time will tell.  It always does.

This article is insightful:

He spent the 2023 season in the KBO, where he went 20-6 with a 2.30 ERA. Over there, he was able to work on developing his arsenal so that he can better hit all quadrants of the strike zone. Against Minnesota on April 23 and then against the Rays Sunday, Fedde said he felt like he saw the full fruits of his labor.

The difference wrought from his work in the KBO is “the ability to have weapons to both sides of the plate,” he said. “I saw a lineup that was strictly lefties against the Twins and I had a changeup, a sinker and a cutter and today could lean on a sweeper on a righty heavy lineup. It makes it tough for other teams to pick who they’re putting in a lineup. Can’t just stack me.”

Being able to spend a season in Korea gave him the chance to work specifically on certain pitches, he said. A luxury not easily afforded had he spent last year in the United States.

“Sometimes it’s hard to work on things in the big leagues. You’re trying to get outs and that’s what matters,” Fedde said. “Over there I could throw my changeup 25 times and figure it out, throw my sweeper 25 times. It’s tough when you get through the minors and you haven’t done that enough. Now I had a year to reset and figure it out.”

Being able to hit all parts of the strike zone has been the difference between how he looked against major league hitters before going to Korea and how he looks against them thus far this season. 

“Talking about opening up all four quadrants of the zone has been really important,” Fedde said. “I’ve really worked on front hip sinkers and even pitching up and away with a four-seam every once in a while. I think it makes it tougher on the hitters. It’s really hard to cover down and up and in and out. It just gives me more weapons.”

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Fedde (31) performed very poorly in his career until this half season.  He spent this past year in the KBO (South Korea) and learned to throw differently than in the past... to work on his craft.  He also added a new pitch, a sweeper.  He threw a career high 180.1 IP this past season, besting his previous high of 133.1 IP.  Through 18 starts and 106.1 IP, Fedde has a 3.13 ERA, 3.59 FIP.  He also has a 1.129 WHIP, 2.4 BB/9 and 8.0 K/9.  He has continued to tinker with his pitch mix whenever he sees signs that a particular pitch has been less effective.  He seems like a bright guy and is signed relatively cheap through next season (a 2 year deal at $7.5m per season.)  Will the bloom come off the rose or has Fedde made enough changes to stay consistently good moving forward?  Time will tell.  It always does.

This article is insightful:

Greg , thanks for sharing the article and your thoughts on Fedde 

• Upvote 1

Question:  Who do you trust more to be a good starter the rest of 2024?  Fedde or  Albert Suarez?

Both have not had much success in the MLB prior to this year.

Both are doing well as starters this year.

Both are under team control for 2024 and 2025.

I can't see why one is a better 3rd starter than the other.

What is your take?

23 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Question:  Who do you trust more to be a good starter the rest of 2024?  Fedde or  Albert Suarez?

What is your take?

I take them both. Starting pitching depth is a big deal for the O’s. 

24 minutes ago, wildcard said:

What is your take?

Fedde by a large margin.

28 minutes ago, wildcard said:

What is your take?

I think a better question is who would you prefer to start game 3 in the post-season, Kremer or Fedde?  I voted no here but it was close, I would do one of Norby or Beavers but wouldn't include Baumeister.