2024 Draft Tracker

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Looks like we're saving 2-3k around the edges on some of these signs.  I guess that all goes into the calculus of which overslot we can sign.  So far only the OF from USC has signed for overslot.  

Gonna be interesting. Looks like they are playing hard ball with Honeycutt to get some savings for high school kids. 

1 hour ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Gonna be interesting. Looks like they are playing hard ball with Honeycutt to get some savings for high school kids. 

14 of the top 30 picks are still unsigned according to BA.    I expect he signs for slot.

Edited by RZNJ

1 hour ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

12 of 30 1st round picks haven’t signed yet, including nos. 18-21 just ahead of us.  A significant majority of the signings so far are under slot by significant amounts.   

Looking at all the posted signings for rounds 1-10, the Orioles currently look like they have saved $546,900 with Round 1 - Vance Honeycutt and Round 6 - DJ Layton still to be signed.  The 5% overage allowance is estimated to be appr. another $546K available to help sign the over slot picks in Rounds 11-20. (Over $150k)  Current max available $$ for over slot signings is just under $1.1M.

Rd 12 - Andrew Tess - HS - C

Rd 16 - Nate George - HS - OF

Rd 17 - Iziah Salinas - CC - LHP

Rd 19 - Braylon Whitaker - HS - OF

Hope this helps and gives a quick snapshot.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, StillanOfan said:

Looking at all the posted signings for rounds 1-10, the Orioles currently look like they have saved $546,900 with Round 1 - Vance Honeycutt and Round 6 - DJ Layton still to be signed.  The 5% overage allowance is estimated to be appr. another $546K available to help sign the over slot picks in Rounds 11-20. (Over $150k)  Current max available $$ for over slot signings is just under $1.1M.

The big questions are if Layton will require significant over slot and if well actually use the 5% allowance. Vance should be slot or under, so 1mm goes a long way to get those other 3 hs and cc guys since it looks like Whitaker signed with no extra funds needed.

Tess and George seem like potential challenges, but if we can get Vance and Layton around slot combined, one would hope 1mm could potentially get both done, if not then at least one and Salinas. 

It looks to me like the O's should have taken a couple overslots higher in the draft.  Looks like the O's might have a few hundred thousand left over after signing everyone they can.  I guess they can dump it into the WS party fund or sign Gunnar fund.  Drafting hs pitchers early in the draft must make Elias break out in a rash. 

On 7/24/2024 at 9:30 PM, StillanOfan said:

Layton got 80k or so over slot. And Whitaker signed without needing overage. If all the math is right and we use our 5%, we have about 1mm to go sign Tess, George and Salinas. Not unreasonable to hope that can get them all done, assuming Vance comes in at slot. If he’s under slot, all the better to get these guys locked up. 

• Upvote 2

By my calculations and without touching any slot $ for Honeycutt, the Orioles have $222,700 remaining for exceeding the $150,000 on each of the 16th & 17th picks and they can use the 5% overage of $546,045 or a total of $768,745.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, 86this said:

By my calculations and without touching any slot $ for Honeycutt, the Orioles have $222,700 remaining for exceeding the $150,000 on each of the 16th & 17th picks and they can use the 5% overage of $546,045 or a total of $768,745.

How do you figure? For the top 10 excluding Honeycutt, they currently have $145K savings (see OP). Tess was $197K over slot, so they are currently $51.8K in the red before using the overage.

On 7/27/2024 at 10:41 AM, Hazmat said:

With Etzel now gone, along w Horvath, I’m really hoping we can sign George.

Was told that George is signing or already has.    Keep in mind, you might not even see George at Delmarva until 2026.

Edited by RZNJ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Warehouse said:

How do you figure? For the top 10 excluding Honeycutt, they currently have $145K savings (see OP). Tess was $197K over slot, so they are currently $51.8K in the red before using the overage.

Miscalculated.  I have it as $52,300 in the red now so either Honeycutt is signing below slot or they're dipping into the 5% overage.