Povich or McDemott?

Sports Guy

Povich or McDermott?   

28 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you trade..McDermott or Povich?

Very tough call.

Povich: nearly two years younger, left-handed, already has had some good games in the majors, better chance of sticking as a starter.

McDermott: better fastball, better chance to be above average if everything clicks, probably the better of the two if they have to move to the bullpen.  

Both: wildly inconsistent, control issues.

I’d rather trade McDermott, but it’s basically a coin flip.  And we’d better be getting a difference-making pitcher back in the exchange or I wouldn’t trade him.  

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Very tough call.

Povich: nearly two years younger, left-handed, already has had some good games in the majors, better chance of sticking as a starter.

McDermott: better fastball, better chance to be above average if everything clicks, probably the better of the two if they have to move to the bullpen.  

Both: wildly inconsistent, control issues.

I’d rather trade McDermott, but it’s basically a coin flip.  And we’d better be getting a difference-making pitcher back in the exchange or I wouldn’t trade him.  

My thoughts exactly. 

If we had the luxury of more depth in our system and on the ML roster I think I’d go Povich and keep the upside of McDermott, but yea Povich can give us somewhat reliable innings this year. 

With the bare cupboard of O's pitching prospects, I'd rather hold on to both of them. I know that isn't realistic though. If I had to make a choice, I'd prefer to see how McDermott fares against ML hitting. We can easily compare Minor League stats, but the big leagues are a different animal.   

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

Why do I need to trade one? We should be trading from our strength to fill holes. Pitching is a hole. We have other chips with value that make more sense to trade.

Why do people make these questions so difficult?  It’s a simple question. Another team has a guy we want and need but want one of these pitchers back. Who do you trade if you were presented with that scenario?

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

Why do I need to trade one? We should be trading from our strength to fill holes. Pitching is a hole. We have other chips with value that make more sense to trade.

It's the foundation of the hypothetical scenario put forth.

In theory, any team we trade with could ask for a MLB ready arm to close a deal.  I know I would be if I'm GM of a team not doing a full rebuild (like TEX, NYM, TOR, DET).

2 hours ago, joelala said:

If we had the luxury of more depth in our system and on the ML roster I think I’d go Povich and keep the upside of McDermott, but yea Povich can give us somewhat reliable innings this year. 

I would go Povich too, but I think Mcdermott's upside is his floor, (RP)

15 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

It's the foundation of the hypothetical scenario put forth.

In theory, any team we trade with could ask for a MLB ready arm to close a deal.  I know I would be if I'm GM of a team not doing a full rebuild (like TEX, NYM, TOR, DET).

It's a bad hypothetical. If the trade partner says they need pitching back then I call another team. More than one pitcher is available.

25 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Why do people make these questions so difficult?  It’s a simple question. Another team has a guy we want and need but want one of these pitchers back. Who do you trade if you were presented with that scenario?

I call another team. That being said I would give McD the edge. Similar resume, similar flaws, but better stuff and you can't teach stuff.