We have a year and a half of mediocre pitching ahead of us....until that changes we are going no where. Come at me Bro.....

1 hour ago, Orioles0615 said:

This team needs way too much at the deadline to make a serious playoff run. 

The Rangers went 3-16 over a 19 game stretch last year how did their playoffs go last year?  The offense is the exact same offense that led the league in runs the first 100 games as the season.  Did they all just forget to hit completely?  We need another starter and one high leverage reliever.  

23 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

The Rangers went 3-16 over a 19 game stretch last year how did their playoffs go last year?  The offense is the exact same offense that led the league in runs the first 100 games as the season.  Did they all just forget to hit completely?  We need another starter and one high leverage reliever.  

The Rangers traded for Scherzer, Montgomery, and Chapman. Elias will not do all of that, hell he won't trade for a single player of that caliber 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

They’ve had a bad week! They have more wins than last year at the same point. 

We had our first five game losing streak since before Adley was called up…and now we are in a second five game losing streak. Yes we’ve had a bad stretch. But bad stretches happen for a reason.

I’m not a baseball expert so I can’t comment on why the hitters are collectively no longer hitting,  but they aren’t. I can’t comment on why the pitching has been bad, except that our good guys either are injured and replaced with not-good guys, or weren’t that good to begin with( see Povich/Bullpen)

Maybe they’re just tired. But nobody is playing well right now.

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

Just fyi it's risk averse not risk adverse.

The idea is you draft the best player available and then if you have too many hitters you trade them for pitching. If it wasn't for Elias we wouldn't have Gunnar. 

Except Mike isn’t. We don’t know why, but the second half of that scenario needs to happen. We have assets, they have assets, but nothing is happening.

14 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

Except Mike isn’t. We don’t know why, but the second half of that scenario needs to happen. We have assets, they have assets, but nothing is happening.

The time to complain/rant would be after the deadline. Up until then, my assumption is that Elias has it under control and will make some moves to benefit the team. 

26 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

The Rangers traded for Scherzer, Montgomery, and Chapman. Elias will not do all of that, hell he won't trade for a single player of that caliber 

Scherzer was terrible in the playoffs, Montgomery was great and Chapman was decent but neither of those trades seemed like huge game changers at the time of trades.  Also how do you know Elias won’t trade for a mid rotation rental and  slightly above average rental reliever.  I bet he trades for something similar to that this year.  

I said it before, I’ll say it again here:

If I told you on July 13th 2023 that we’d get Corbin Burnes for Hall and Ortiz, no one would believe it. 

There’s plenty of time to make deals. To act as if this team is set for next year is just myopic and silly. 

The narrative that pitching is not a league wide concern floors me. 

How good the pitching for any team will be in October is impossible to know. Look at the Dodgers and Braves the last 2 years. Look at the DBacks go into PHilly and win Games 6/7.  

Yes this team should add. Nobody is saying otherwise. 

They have lost 5 in a row and many are up in arms because they haven’t done any deals.  No one has done anything either.  Except for a couple minor deals.  I think most GM’s are focusing on the draft and then you will start to see movement after the All Star break.  People can complain, and they will, after the trade deadline is over.  Lets see what happens.  Mike Elias as GM has built this team that won 101 games last year.  On pace to win the same this year.  Accumulated some of the best young players in baseball.  That hasn’t changed after losing 5 games in a row.  

51 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

The time to complain/rant would be after the deadline. Up until then, my assumption is that Elias has it under control and will make some moves to benefit the team. 

Oh, I know he will make some moves, the question is whether he will make significant moves, and every indication is that he won’t. I would be delighted to be wrong.

Im not ranting, btw, and I take mild umbrage at the suggestion.

Last year Flaherty and Fuji were both embarrassingly below average, but all of the major pitchers excellent except for Akin, and he was just a hair under average.

I think he’s very concerned about next year’s outfield. He’s not expecting any of them to come back, and he wants to keep the right ones for next season.

Edited by HowAboutThat

4 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

Oh, I know he will make some moves, the question is whether he will make significant moves, and every indication is that he won’t. I would be delighted to be wrong.

Im not ranting, btw, and I take mild umbrage at the suggestion.

Last year Flaherty and Fuji were both embarrassingly below average, but all of the major pitchers excellent except for Akin, and he was just a hair under average.

I think he’s very concerned about next year’s outfield. He’s not expecting any of them to come back, and he wants to keep the right ones for next season.

I did not mean to imply you were ranting. I was referring more to the OP. Your post is totally reasonable. 

Still, I don't know what you mean by "every indication". Fuji/Flaherty was last year under a different owner. This year we got Burnes. To me that is a strong indication Elias is committed at least to the point of trading from our second tier of prospects. 

4 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I did not mean to imply you were ranting. I was referring more to the OP. Your post is totally reasonable. 

Still, I don't know what you mean by "every indication". Fuji/Flaherty was last year under a different owner. This year we got Burnes. To me that is a strong indication Elias is committed at least to the point of trading from our second tier of prospects. 

Burnes was under the old owner.

12 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I appreciate your comment. “Every indication” is a combination of what he has done and what he has said, as well as a reasonable stance. NOT trading away your best prospects is laudable. The idea of doing one’s best to get value for less is laudable, and Mike has done very well at getting real success from castoffs. So continuing what he’s been doing has some merit, although most people want more, and the team needs more very badly.

He hasn’t made any major trades, nor paid high prices for anyone. Yes, the Burnes trade was an Angelos trade, but all his trades indicate a reluctance to make major deals. 
He’s given no indication that he’s willing to do so, and his quote today was negative(as I mentioned in another thread) and sounded like there won’t be any major moves. Hope I’m wrong.