2024 1st Round Pick (#22): Vance Honeycutt - OF - (Jr) North Carolina (NC)

Longenhagen on Effectively Wild today said that he doesn’t like his swing and miss as well as he hands.  Said Fabian is a perfect comp.  Said the defense though is good enough so that it could support a poor hit tool. 

If he's on the Luis Robert/Kevin Kiermayer side of this scale, he's a fantastic pick. If he's Kevin Pillar/Harrison Bader he's still a good pick. The O's think that can fix him and they are really in no hurry to do so. They have a ton of these guys in the system with Honeycutt having one of the best ceilings. When you take a ton of college bats who are excellent athletes, a pick like this is easier to make. 

22 hours ago, baltfan said:

Longenhagen on Effectively Wild today said that he doesn’t like his swing and miss as well as he hands.  Said Fabian is a perfect comp.  Said the defense though is good enough so that it could support a poor hit tool. 

Fabian was a .240 hitter in college, Honeycutt hit .293 for his career and .318 this year.  Fabian stole 24 bases in 4 seasons where Honeycutt stole 29 this last season.  This both are great athletes with some swing and miss but that is about the end of the comparison imo.  

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, bpilktree67 said:

Fabian was a .240 hitter in college, Honeycutt hit .293 for his career and .318 this year.  Fabian stole 24 bases in 4 seasons where Honeycutt stole 29 this last season.  This both are great athletes with some swing and miss but that is about the end of the comparison imo.  

Agreed, very sloppy comparison. Ryan Ohearn hit 195 with 30% strikeout percentage for multiple years. Orioles believe they can fix certain hitters with specific tools. Vance Honeycutt was the best player in college baseball the last month of the season.

1 hour ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Agreed, very sloppy comparison. Ryan Ohearn hit 195 with 30% strikeout percentage for multiple years. Orioles believe they can fix certain hitters with specific tools. Vance Honeycutt was the best player in college baseball the last month of the season.

o’Hearn was hurt more by the shift than any player in baseball

Carlos Collazo from BA wrote about Honeycutt.

“If he hits, he’s going to be a superstar. If he doesn’t hit, I still think he can be a valuable player,” Baseball America‘s Carlos Collazo said on Glenn Clark Radio July 17. “… There’s bust risk here, but it’s also a high-upside pick that you kind of have to take a little bit of that risk to access the tools at pick 22.”

Honeycutt, listed at 6-foot-3 and 205 pounds, has the best tools in the draft class along with No. 9 overall pick Konnor Griffin, Collazo said.

Honeycutt’s arm strength, speed and raw power could have made him a top-10 pick, especially considering that Collazo called him the best defensive center fielder in the class. However, his 26.3% career strikeout rate is the highest of any player drafted out of a four-year university in the top 30 in MLB history, according to Baseball America.

Scouts were alarmed, and Honeycutt fell into the 20s as a result. The Orioles, known for their ability to develop hitters, believe they can fix him, though.

“I think for Vance, specifically, the Orioles [are] a pretty great organizational fit,” Collazo said, “just given their track record of improving a lot of hitters in their system. I don’t think I could name maybe five other teams that would be a better fit in terms of my belief in them figuring out the hit tool.”

However, with the Orioles selecting outfielders with their first two draft picks last year, many wonder why they did not target a pitcher in the first round. But with No. 15 overall pick Jurrangelo Cijntje and No. 20 overall pick Trey Yesavage off the board, Collazo said a pitcher would have been a reach.

“Vance Honeycutt was the best player available for the Orioles when they were picking,” he said. “I don’t think that, regardless of your organizational strengths and weaknesses, especially in the first round, it’s worth just pivoting off the best player just to take a profile that you have less of, because, again, trades exist. … I think just collecting as much talent as possible is always a successful strategy.”

Edited by Malike

I don’t know if the O’s will be able to fix Honeycutt or not, but it’s worth the risk.  He seems like he’s likely to make the majors even if he can’t really be fixed, and could be a well above average starter if he can be fixed to a decent degree.  I’m not usually someone who likes guys with a poor hit tool, but at 22 this was a good gamble.  

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t know if the O’s will be able to fix Honeycutt or not, but it’s worth the risk.  He seems like he’s likely to make the majors even if he can’t really be fixed, and could be a well above average starter if he can be fixed to a decent degree.  I’m not usually someone who likes guys with a poor hit tool, but at 22 this was a good gamble.  

Would you feel better about this pick if they saved ~$300,000 -$500,000 against his slot value? He's unlikely to go back to UNC for his senior year. I think the O's could save quite a bit of money. @Frobby you've been in tough negotiations before your retirement. Do you think the O's have the ability and desire to save money on this pick? 

2 hours ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

What about his K rate dropping from 28% to 11%. I would think that would boost your numbers too.

He was good last year and his K rate was 22%.   He recently said that the abolition of the shift helped him a ton.

10 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Would you feel better about this pick if they saved ~$300,000 -$500,000 against his slot value? He's unlikely to go back to UNC for his senior year. I think the O's could save quite a bit of money. @Frobby you've been in tough negotiations before your retirement. Do you think the O's have the ability and desire to save money on this pick? 

Tough to say.  I suspect the O’s understood what it would take to sign him before they made the pick.   

• Upvote 1